First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Lariat Supercrew; '21 MX-5 Miata
Occupation
Retired Military/Law enforcement
No one, and I mean no one, will ever treat your vehicle they way you will. When you perform your own maintenance, you know it’s done right. The dealerships can keep those free oil changes. Now days, dealerships aren’t making big money on vehicle sales. People will shop around and internet pricing can do away with most haggling. They are making money on service. Service plans is how they get you in, then the next thing you know, they will try to sell you all kinds of extras or “recommend” tasks at $100/hr.
Haven't gone vehicle shopping lately have you ? With the chip shortage world wide, mfgs can't ship what's built because the requisite emissions chips are not installed. That is why Ford has had to shut down their plants till late summer. If the vehicle is not in transit to the dealer at this point in time, it will not be until it has the needed chip(s). In the Dallas-Ft Worth area, lot vehicles are bringing a premium. In many cases, the dealers are adding ADM and getting it. Ymmv
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I'm new here, so what the heck is a 'Damper'? something to make your truck wet? I know what a 'Dampener' is, or is this an inside joke, kind of like A roll of flightline, or a muffler bearing wrench, or a can of free travel?
It's a running joke on this site, ad nauseum, and referes to an aftermarket tailgate damper.
Why would you need that?
Exactly.

There are exceptions, but it's mostly for guys that can only use one hand, because they are holding their purse with the other one. ?
Dave, oh Dave... You're needed here.
"Dave's (@AzScorpion )not here man!" ?

In reality, most of the damper owners have the honor to ease the burden placed on wives and girlfriends from gravity induced falling tailgates and consider the slight chance to bestow observable and outward signs of respect and affection a worthy endeavor.

The resistance to damperdom comes from heathenistic ignorant and unenlightened luddite brutes who have trouble opening doors marked "pull".
:inspect:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave, oh Dave... You're needed here.

Kent, Not sure how I missed this one? I've been much to weak and have spent most of this long weekend in bed trying to recoup some energy. After 18 months of ownership I think the damper has finally caught up to me. :shock: :crying:

skinny-guy3.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
In reality, most of the damper owners have the honor to ease the burden placed on wives and girlfriends from gravity induced falling tailgates and consider the slight chance to bestow observable and outward signs of respect and affection a worthy endeavor.
@AzScorpion nailed it.

@FoD... You are defining a relationship that is foreign to me, being a child of the 60's I was taught that a man opens the tailgate, and never expects his lady to do such tasks that he can do himself.

I'm guessing it's a generational thing. Sometimes younger fella's and their metrosexual lifestyles catch up with them.... stuff like their wrists hurts from "gaming" :giggle: and their fresh mani -pedi ? might get damaged from some actual real old school manual labor.

:flag:

Last edited:

Deerhunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Ops
Less than a month ago I was shopping. That’s when I bought my Ranger.....

Haven't gone vehicle shopping lately have you ? With the chip shortage world wide, mfgs can't ship what's built because the requisite emissions chips are not installed. That is why Ford has had to shut down their plants till late summer. If the vehicle is not in transit to the dealer at this point in time, it will not be until it has the needed chip(s). In the Dallas-Ft Worth area, lot vehicles are bringing a premium. In many cases, the dealers are adding ADM and getting it. Ymmv

Cwbyfan62

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
I work
I’ve only had dealer oil changes for at least the past 35 years. Not one issue. Anything can happen, but if the dealer screws it up it’s their problem, if I screw it up it’s mine. Plus I don’t have to crawl under my truck every 5k miles :wink:
My 2007 Mustang the dealership charged me for a new oil plug.
And then refunded it when I asked them to check the records and verify the had done ALL my oil changes up to that point.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
@AzScorpion nailed it.

@FoD... You are defining a relationship that is foreign to me, being a child of the 60's I was taught that a man opens the tailgate, and never expects his lady to do such tasks that he can do himself.

I'm guessing it's a generational thing. Sometimes younger fella's and their metrosexual lifestyles catch up with them.... stuff like their wrists hurts from "gaming" :giggle: and their fresh mani -pedi ? might get damaged from some actual real old school manual labor.

:flag:
Sorry, you're the younger in this case, I'm a child of the 50's, but learned that ladies are indeed capable of handling their own vehicular tasks, unless it's your job is to drive her everywhere in Bedrock.

1622524912922.png

:angel:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The damper has derailed more threads than any other thing on this Site. The fan boys can put that on their tank tops and flex for more LOL.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
better than stripping off the pan threads..... I found a torque screwdriver it like a torque wrench but is a screwdriver type handle with a "T" on it for was of turning that I use to tighten the drain pan bolt 20 ft-lb (I just edited this post 7/2/21 the original was a typo I had said inch pounds which is very wrong thank god no one ever listens to me :lipssealed: -- sorry) it is 20ftlb which is 240 inch pounds...... so it is pretty easy to over torque.

Last edited:

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
Worth noting.... the torque on the drain bolt is only supposed to be 20 ft-lbs.

Oil Pan Drain Bolt Torque Spec.jpg

============================================================

In this case.. would you even know they rounded the head off the bolt... since you don't do your on maintenance? It could be totally fubar... you'd never know, right?
20 ft lb (editing to fix a typo in the original post) is pretty light --- I bought a torque screwdriver that I use to do mine, I worry about the dealer stripping it out since thats so light. and its really pretty easy to do. I can do it a lot faster than the dealer, for some reason the 'express lane' still takes about 2 hrs.

Last edited:

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
medical
Hi DR,

If I recall correctly, the bolt head on the oil pan plug is 15mm...I bet the "tech" used a us wrench which will not fit well on 15mm
at least they didn't strip the pan bolt threads! thats what im afraid of.

Hardy12000

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX 4x4 (Iconic Silver)
Exactly.

There are exceptions, but it's mostly for guys that can only use one hand, because they are holding their purse with the other one. ?
What I'm doing with my purse is none of you're business, sir.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
My first oil change on my 2019 Jetta was done by the dealer because it was free. About 2 days later I put the car on a lift because I was at my race shop and was curious what it looked like underneath. I was missing most of the push pin holder inner doo-dads... as such the front of underbody plastic wasn't fully secured. I drove by the dealer the next day anyway and had them replace them. I'd have just replaced them myself but couldn't find the right ones at NAPA.

I always do my oil changes even if I have to in the middle of a parking lot. That experience confirmed why.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
doesnt bother me.
theres little reason to be changing tranny oil on a whim.
if some thing goes wrong, dropping the pan is going to happen one way or another.
I change mine every year, year and a half. The metal shards in there would scare you lol.
Sponsored