Why does Ford not give us these?

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I saw some video of a guy doing a review on a boutique mod shop's Lightning version of a modern F150. It was entertaining but not appealing enough to crank out a production volume.
Local AutoNation had a few new "Lightnings" a couple years back. Standard cab, had the wheels, pre rear axle exhaust and was lowered a bit. Very nice looking truck.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'd like to see a winter package: heated front cloth seats, rear window defroster, heated mirrors, heated steering wheel. Make it a stand alone package available with any trim. I like the heated mirrors on my Escape, but I will not jump ~$5000 from an XL to a Lariat to get them on a Ranger

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
My point was more styling centric compared to the jacked up foreign G5 Ranger with ground effects plus we are talking 30+ years ago on the Typhoon. If something like this were produced now it would be a whole different ballgame. Sports cars are going 0-60 now in the mid 2 second range with exceptional reliability. Technology could be used in a killer sport street truck.
My post was more in response to HotRods point.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
A Ranger "Thunder" would be nice.
I once had a '92 4.0L 5Spd Ranger which was a sports car with a big trunk and the ability to tow, haul, and handle on pavement.
Ranger Thunderbolt was a thing. I think SLP did it. I had the intake from one in my Sport Trac.
Because Ford USA still has not figured out that Ranger buyers are not F150 buyers.

I believe Ford thought that when they killed off the previous US Ranger, they'd see nearly a 1 for 1 sales increase in the F150.

Instead, Nissan got much of the old Ranger market.

Yea, maybe a real Ranger ST or RS would pull sales from an F150 Lightening but since none of the 3 exist, it's a moot point.
I remember a Ford Exec quoted as saying he thought most Ranger owners would buy a Focus. I did buy a Focus, it fit as much stuff as my Sport Trac but not with four passengers.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I remember a Ford Exec quoted as saying he thought most Ranger owners would buy a Focus. I did buy a Focus, it fit as much stuff as my Sport Trac but not with four passengers.
When I could not get a new Ranger I bought a Transit Connect, It does everything well but it is still not a Ranger, So when the Ranger came back... I bought one.
Love them both , but a full sized truck just wasn't gonna happen.

DSCF0036.JPG

DSCF0035.JPG

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/f...-street-focused-sibling-of-the-ranger-raptor/

Why do they keep making nicer Rangers unavailable to North America?
I have no particular interest in this version of the Ranger, and would not even shop one if it were offered here, but it is irksome in the extreme that so many interesting variants of the Ranger, particularly the Raptor, are only available overseas. O.K., it is probably to protect the F150 sales in North America, but a lot of North Americans are not going to buy a 150 anyway (great truck, too big to be practical), and so why not offer us some of the cool global Rangers instead?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I have no particular interest in this version of the Ranger, and would not even shop one if it were offered here, but it is irksome in the extreme that so many interesting variants of the Ranger, particularly the Raptor, are only available overseas. O.K., it is probably to protect the F150 sales in North America, but a lot of North Americans are not going to buy a 150 anyway (great truck, too big to be practical), and so why not offer us some of the cool global Rangers instead?
It may have a little to do with CAFE regs here, too. As Ford discontinues its less popular but higher fuel economy vehicles, the aggregate fuel economy is going down to some degree, despite efforts to maximize it.
Bringing out lowered-raised-tuned-Dakar-Moab-spec versions might get them too close to the threshold where they would be dropping serious cash in fines.
The other thing to consider is that on the global scene, the F-150 is a marginal player, used almost exclusively for commercial duty, unlike here where it has a large presence as a personal vehicle. The Ranger has a much larger presence in the world as a commercial vehicle as well as private, and therefore bigger numbers vs NA to spread the cost of niche variants.
That said, if the ZR2 or an upgraded TRD really take off, I think we could see a more serious Tremor.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
How about a Ranger based SUV with a sport tuned suspension and decent horsepower?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
When I could not get a new Ranger I bought a Transit Connect, It does everything well but it is still not a Ranger, So when the Ranger came back... I bought one.
Love them both , but a full sized truck just wasn't gonna happen.

DSCF0036.JPG

DSCF0035.JPG
If this came in AWD I would have probably bought one.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
How about a Ranger based SUV with a sport tuned suspension and decent horsepower?
Ill say this, the Everest is one of the best vehicles Ive eve owned. Its a big enough 7 seater, with some offroad capabilities. I have no idea why Ford is keeping it from the states.

IMG_2592.jpg

OP
OP
Ericrcif

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
Ill say this, the Everest is one of the best vehicles Ive eve owned. Its a big enough 7 seater, with some offroad capabilities. I have no idea why Ford is keeping it from the states.

IMG_2592.jpg
Maybe don't want to hurt Explorer sales?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Escape and Explorer come to mind. Throwing another into that would be detrimental is my thought. Daughter has an Escape and it will seat 5 and plenty of power. Mileage is pretty darn good too. The Explorer is also used as service vehicles nationwide. Upgrades$$$
Sponsored