What are you guys towing?

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT w/ FX4, tow package, spary-in bed liner.
The only time size would matter is in high wind.
The truck actually has a frontal square footage rating. All trucks do; the Ranger is 55sqft, including the Ranger's own frontal coverage (44sqft IIRC, so 11sqft to spare). The warning on violating this is gas mileage, but not damage. The unspoken truth is that as you violate that rating, the engines' ability to tow at max payload deteriorates.

Aside from that, being passed by large trucks becomes increasingly more dangerous/difficult to control as the size of the trailer increases. Fortunately an 8x17 trailer is unlikely to have major issues here.
Sponsored

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
The truck actually has a frontal square footage rating. All trucks do; the Ranger is 55sqft, including the Ranger's own frontal coverage (44sqft IIRC, so 11sqft to spare). The warning on violating this is gas mileage, but not damage. The unspoken truth is that as you violate that rating, the engines' ability to tow at max payload deteriorates.

Aside from that, being passed by large trucks becomes increasingly more dangerous/difficult to control as the size of the trailer increases. Fortunately an 8x17 trailer is unlikely to have major issues here.
I was actually thinking of cross winds. Being a sailor an bicyclist I can appreciate head winds.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I am towing a 28 Ft Salem Cruise lite that fully loaded weighs 6800 lbs. All my axle weights are within tolerance as per the Kat scale check I have done and tongue wt is 750 lbs. With a good Hitch set up ( I have a Hensley Wt distribution and anti sway hitch) I have towed my trailer through Whitewater pass on the I-10 In CA with 50 mph cross winds and barely feel any sway. I have passed and have had Semi trucks pass me at 65 mph and do not feel the suction or sway that I first had with a 4 way Equalizer hitch. I do not feel the need to grab on to the steering wheel with both hands though I do keep both on the wheel most of the time, partly because I drove a 2 axle semi pulling 80,000 lbs for over a million miles 35 years ago and learned that a relaxed driver can be a safe driver if he keeps a safe distance and always aware of the surroundings. I truly believe that the hitch set up I have has allowed this small truck to perform as good as a F-150. I have yet to find a hill that I was not able to take at 50-60 mph and just let the engine and trans do the work it was designed for.

In no way would I be afraid of an 8x17 TT.

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT w/ FX4, tow package, spary-in bed liner.
with 50 mph cross winds and barely feel any sway.
... Can you get a video of this next time and post it? I'd love to be proven wrong. That'd be an amazing badge for the Ranger.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
... Can you get a video of this next time and post it? I'd love to be proven wrong. That'd be an amazing badge for the Ranger.
Well I agree that 50 mph cross winds may be a little much, he is using a top of the line hitch setup. The Hensley Arrow and the ProPride hitch are in a class by themselves when it comes to weight distributing hitches. Just google both hitches and watch the videos on them. Anytime you move the hitch pivot point from behind the rear bumper to around the rear axle, your stability and sway control are going to be way better.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Towed ~6500lbs in my 20' enclosed trailer today (maybe it was a bit more). I learned some things!

Pros:
*Plenty of power. Even with a large frontal area on the trailer it cruised at 65mph without much input. I was more surprised than I thought I would be.

*Blind spot monitoring for the trailer and the back camera were all great.

*The Sway detection and deterrent feature works great. I used it today involuntarily.

*The dash told me I had a tail light out on the trailer - I like that feature.

Cons:
*These FX shocks will soon find the bottom of a dumpster. Their complete lack of rebound damping really shows up when towing a heavy load.

*The narrow track and lightweight of the truck means: the truck and trailer want to ride in different grooves in the lane which can induce at best, wandering, at worst, sway.

*I wish this truck had factory mirrors that extended for towing. The extend blind spot monitoring helps to fill the gap on lane changes.

Misc:
*On a race weekend I will be adding ~700-800lbs more to the equation and I feel confident in using this as a tow vehicle at max capacity for a reasonable distance at a reasonable speed. I would not want to tow at max on a trip that's >5 hours away - no cross country.

*Ford did a great job with their tow-haul feature and the transmission was lovely.

*Sensitive to tongue weight. On my way to my appt I had the weight too far back in the trailer. Due to the lack of tongue weight I could not physically exceed 60mph as the sway got out of hand FAST - and that's with an Equalizer hitch. My destination wasn't far away so toughed it out by slowing down a bit. On the return trip I moved the car and some other weight forward in the trailer and drove home at 65 mph with one relaxed hand on the steering wheel.

C1CCE63E-93AA-4BC5-B0B5-46B592185700.jpeg
When you replace your FX4 shocks, are you replacing all four? What brand and type will you get?

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
When you replace your FX4 shocks, are you replacing all four? What brand and type will you get?
Just bought the eibachs for all 4 corners. Not the lift kit but the ones that use the oem front springs and have 0-3” adjustment allowing me to retain the stock ride height.

I’ll probably install them next weekend if they show up by then but I’m not sure when I’ll be towing again since all the race weekends keep getting canceled.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Well I agree that 50 mph cross winds may be a little much, he is using a top of the line hitch setup. The Hensley Arrow and the ProPride hitch are in a class by themselves when it comes to weight distributing hitches. Just google both hitches and watch the videos on them. Anytime you move the hitch pivot point from behind the rear bumper to around the rear axle, your stability and sway control are going to be way better.
?

mmeyers

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Teacher
I am towing a 28 Ft Salem Cruise lite that fully loaded weighs 6800 lbs. All my axle weights are within tolerance as per the Kat scale check I have done and tongue wt is 750 lbs. With a good Hitch set up ( I have a Hensley Wt distribution and anti sway hitch) I have towed my trailer through Whitewater pass on the I-10 In CA with 50 mph cross winds and barely feel any sway. I have passed and have had Semi trucks pass me at 65 mph and do not feel the suction or sway that I first had with a 4 way Equalizer hitch. I do not feel the need to grab on to the steering wheel with both hands though I do keep both on the wheel most of the time, partly because I drove a 2 axle semi pulling 80,000 lbs for over a million miles 35 years ago and learned that a relaxed driver can be a safe driver if he keeps a safe distance and always aware of the surroundings. I truly believe that the hitch set up I have has allowed this small truck to perform as good as a F-150. I have yet to find a hill that I was not able to take at 50-60 mph and just let the engine and trans do the work it was designed for.

In no way would I be afraid of an 8x17 TT.
What is your gas mileage towing the Salem Cruise Lite (24RLXL)?
Did you install the Hensley Hitch yourself? If so, was it very difficult?

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
What is your gas mileage towing the Salem Cruise Lite (24RLXL)?
Did you install the Hensley Hitch yourself? If so, was it very difficult?
I get between 11-13 mpg depending on how much wind or hills on the trip.
I did install the Hensley myself, their directions are very straight forward.
Much easier hook up for a trip, no chains or bars to deal with. Just back into the receiver, clamp it in and cinch the two torsion bars with a speed wrench, of coarse 7 way plug, safety brake and safety chains we all have to deal with.

mmeyers

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Teacher
I am towing a 28 Ft Salem Cruise lite that fully loaded weighs 6800 lbs. All my axle weights are within tolerance as per the Kat scale check I have done and tongue wt is 750 lbs.
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm thinking of buying the same travel trailer and was wondering how the truck preformed. I have a couple of more questions about your setup.
What was the gross combined weight of truck and trailer fully loaded?
The Ranger has a gross combined weight rating of 12,250 lbs. I'm curious how close you are to the max GCWR.
Also, have you towed this rig in the mountains at high elevations? If so, did the engine lose any power?