Would I be okay towing this RV?

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
I opted to go with a shorter trailer. My trailer is 23' 11" from bumper to hitch. It is a Rockwood MiniLite 2205s. Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes (forestriverinc.com)

The Ranger handles this trailer flawlessly. I have towed it from San Diego to Joshua Tree National Park and averaged nearly 12 mpg. I believe using the premium fuel really makes a difference, as well as keeping speed around 60 mph.
IMG_2299.jpg
Well, that looks fun! We want to get a Coachmen Apex 208bhs, which is around the same specs. It's even a double axel TT. Glad you're having a good experience. Makes us feel better pulling the trigger without having to get a bigger truck. We still might in a couple of years once the kid grows more, but don't want to just yet.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that looks fun! We want to get a Coachmen Apex 208bhs, which is around the same specs. It's even a double axel TT. Glad you're having a good experience. Makes us feel better pulling the trigger without having to get a bigger truck. We still might in a couple of years once the kid grows more, but don't want to just yet.
HI Rick,

I want to take this opportunity to get on the soap box about installing tire pressure monitoring on your towed RV. Yeah...the Ranger had tire pressure monitoring per gov regs. It will save you major headaches to add a tire pressure monitoring system to your trailer to display when there is a problem with your RV...be it two tires, 4 or sometimes 6 as I see with some toy haulers. Not all that expensive. I run Tire SafeGuard on my motorhome and the Ranger being towed, not being driven. It has saved me a huge blowout on the rear left inside rear of my dual tires. A rim to valve stem failed thank to a poor design of the extension needed to fill the inner tire with air. I got an alert....pulled to the side and got Road Side assistance through my contract help CoachNet. I have seen trailers with both right side tires blown out sidelined on the road...especially now that the Chinese have take over the ST market. Something to consider.

Okay...off the soap box...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Ranger_Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 and have been researching the towing question while we are shopping for a travel trailer. I have found some websites that have calculators on picking a trailer within the weight specs.. 7500 towing cap, 12500 combined, payload 1481 and hitch max of 750 .... in all of the travel trailer forums the biggest complaint is sway - which occurs no matter what size truck .... the solution for that appears to be in the weight distribution and hitch system. I gassed up my truck and had it weighed - 4800lbs (i'm about 200lbs) - this figures into your combined calculation..if you want the website address for the calculators let me know...the last piece of information I stumbled upon was wheelbase vs length of trailer - 110 in of wheelbase, of the tow vehicle, for a 20' trailer with every 4 inches of wheelbase over the 110 allows for 1 more foot of trailer...126in wheelbase qualifies me for a 24 foot trailer......so I am looking for an
under 24' trailer with a rating of about 5500 GVWR --- and about 1200 lbs of cargo capacity-----hope this helps...

RoadtripsOfUnusualSize

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Formerly owner of an Ingot FX4
Occupation
Retired
Whatever you do, don't ask an RV salesman if your pickup will safely tow something on his lot. His answer will always be yes. Don't trust those guys.

And, Phil makes a very good suggestion above. An RV-specific TPMS is a very good idea. We use the TireMinder system and it's great insurance.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
TPMS is the first thing to add....and the only thing I need know from the sales guy is how much is he going to come off that price:surprised:
Ummm I'm pretty sire he just wants you.to bend over and of he is kind he might give you enough time to apply own lube!!! :surprised:

RangerLover

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab
RangerLover - How does your rig handle in the wind? Looks like you have a WDH. Also, the braking performance....assuming you have a brake controller. I am looking at something similar in size and weight....many seasoned in towing tell me the unit is to big...but I am beginning to doubt the knowledge
I haven't had any issues. I do have the Ford brake controller installed since it integrates with the emergency braking system and will apply the trailer brakes. You can feel the wind, but nothing I couldn't handle. I did find I needed to disable the Ford sway control, as it was fighting against the sway control hitch. So far, very happy with the trailer and truck combination.

Monark323

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XTL FX4
Another thing to think about is the max tongue weight of the Ranger. It's 750lbs and if you use a weight distribution hitch with it, those can weigh around 100lbs. With that dry hitch weight you'd be at max without loading a thing into the trailer.

I tow a 23' x 8' 6000lb loaded trailer right at the max tongue weight and I've been happy with it so far up and down 6% grades at 5000' on 100 degree days.
do you have/use a brake controller module?

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL SuperCrew 4x4
Just an update if anyone still cares lol. I have taken my 33' 6,000 lb dry freedom express on about a dozen camping trips. I have had 0 issues and 0 scared. The ranger handles it without any issues. It's a very capable truck and very happy with the Ranger.

I have had about 8 people approach me at the campsite asking me how the Ranger handles the trailer and towing such a big trailer and I let them know I have no issues. I have probably sold ford 4 Rangers by now lol.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Rangers!! I know I am!
16222936660477940989294362574417.jpg

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Did you take any of the experienced RV peoples advice? What were your figures? Gas mileage? Distance traveled? The devil is in the details.

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL SuperCrew 4x4
Did you take any of the experienced RV peoples advice? What were your figures? Gas mileage? Distance traveled? The devil is in the details.
Trailer weight is about 6,800 after I filled it.
Tongue was around 10-11% so right at the limit of 750.

Gas mileage on the highway was around 12mpg. Going around 65-70 MPH

The furthest distance I went was only 170 miles.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare

The 208 was on our(My) shortlist and the wife killed it. Don't remember what she didn't like, but it got nixed. Didn't really matter, good luck getting one. They're back-ordered forever, and the ones that are sitting on a dealer's lot, they want close to MSRP for them. (Well, that's a lot of things these days I guess).

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I haven't towed anything larger than my 17' boat, but it's pretty impressive what the Ranger is capable of. Given this, it's surprising Ford doesn't offer a larger fuel tank as standard or even optional here in the states. There's a lot of empty space forward of the tank (at least on the 2wd), seems like a no brainer.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Gas mileage on the highway was around 12mpg. Going around 65-70 MPH
Wow, what's your secret? Out specs are similar, but our average is closer to 10mpg, and we stick closer to 60mph as the MPG goes to hell after that.
Sponsored