Ready Brute Elite 2 or Roadmaster for TOAD Towing behind RV

NooTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
I just bought a new Ford Range that I intend to use as a TOAD, towing behind my Class C RV. I went to a couple of local dealers to get ideas and pricing. Beforehand, I figured I would use either a Blue Ox or Roadmaster base plate and tow bar and a built-in brake system like the InvisiBrake. But one dealer I went to recommended the Ready Brute Elite 2 system, which has its own built-in braking system using a cable that runs to the Ranger brake pedal. I plan to have someone install either way, I believe.

Both ways seem to get good reviews online, and pricing is similar, I believe, once you include all of the necessary stuff. Which is easier to hook up and disconnect the TOAD from the RV? Which is more reliable and requires less maintenance down the road? Which is less invasive and trouble-free for the Ranger? Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

Guioco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic Ranger XLT FX4
When we got our RV we also had to evaluate the tow systems. Started out with a dolly since we didn't have a flat towable car. What a pain! Bought a used Fiat 500 stick shift to flat tow and went with the Roadmaster baseplate. Found a used Falcon 2 towbar in like-new condition at a great price. Falcon 2 is rated to 6000 lbs and the RV can tow 5000 ... probably like yours. Readybrake was appealing but we wanted a portable braking system in case we got another toad. Went with the RVi system. It integrates a TPMS and toad battery charging system as well as the portable brake in one dash monitor. We really like the RVi. You didn't mention TPMS but as someone who has had a blowout on an RV in the past I would highly recommend one. After getting our Ranger last week the only component we had to add, other than baseplate and wiring, was a breakaway switch. First tow trip with the Ranger is pending but still plan to tow the Fiat occassionally.