Would I be okay towing this RV?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I took mine to the dealership and they installed a TBC. I believe it's a draw tite.

I thought about the Hensley Arrow or ProPride but I couldn't drop the 3k. I have a Curt TruTrack on my setup and it works pretty good.
The TurTrack looks like it is an Equal-i-zer copy. I have used the Equal-i-zer before and it is a pretty good hitch. IMO, the main downside to it is that it is a noisy hitch.

When I had by Hensley Hitch, I guess I got lucky when I found a used one locally. In the past, you could buy a used Hensley for .50 to .60 cents on the dollar. Still a lot of money, but you can use it for a number of years and probably sell it for what you paid for it.
Sponsored

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
I think you're going to love towing that size of trailer with your Ranger. Our SuperCrew FX4 just did its maiden (trailer) voyage with an older hybrid Palomino trailer that ran 4250lbs dry/5150lbs gross and paired with a new Blue Ox SwayPro + Curt Spectrum controller, i would say there was plenty of 'go' and more importantly, even more 'stop' when I needed it. For reference, it was about a 1400km (875mi) round trip. Enjoy!
Thanks for the info! Incredibly stoked
I think you're going to love towing that size of trailer with your Ranger. Our SuperCrew FX4 just did its maiden (trailer) voyage with an older hybrid Palomino trailer that ran 4250lbs dry/5150lbs gross and paired with a new Blue Ox SwayPro + Curt Spectrum controller, i would say there was plenty of 'go' and more importantly, even more 'stop' when I needed it. For reference, it was about a 1400km (875mi) round trip. Enjoy!
Hey, thanks for the info. We're very stoked about getting out there. Do you have links to the trailer brake controller you used? I'm debating whether getting mine at the dealer or on the aftermarket.

frosty110

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Thanks for the info! Incredibly stoked

Hey, thanks for the info. We're very stoked about getting out there. Do you have links to the trailer brake controller you used? I'm debating whether getting mine at the dealer or on the aftermarket.
I tried to keep things simple and safe.

I self-installed the Spectrum:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CZTXL8P/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

And paired it with the generic connector harness that goes with the Spectrum. (Curt # 51515). Instructions for the connections are all over this forum and I found it straightforward.

For ease of wiring and handy access when I need it, I screw mounted it to the side panel and think its a good blend of being available but not in the way.

There's lots of options out there, and as long as it 'controls' the trailer brakes and works for your budget, then it's done its job. ?

Have a great trip!

1594834604430688014056947284973.jpg

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
Nice setup! We’ve got an XLT SuperCrew FX2 coming into the dealer this weekend. We had our first kid about a year ago now and want to start taking him camping and creating the memories early on.

We plan on treating ourselves to our very first travel trailer. We have our eyes set on a 2021 Surveyor Legend 19BHLE (https://www.bestrv.com/New-Inventor...Surveyor-19BHLE-Forest-River-Surveyor-8152357). It seems like it’s in the same ballpark as your rig.

We’re new to RVing and I haven’t towed anything consistently since I was ~18yo. Think the Ranger will handle this trailer well?
Oh yea, your new ranger will easily tow that trailer.
I recommend the Ford brake controller for a couple of reasons including interfacing with the trucks "Emergency Braking System" so the contoller applies the trailer brakes if the system engages in an emergency.
The other main reason is super easy to use and clean installation.
I also recommend since you are new, that you develop simple checklists for loading the trailer, hooking up to the truck, unhooking from the truck and hooking the traiker up to campsite services and finally dumping the black and grey water tanks.
There are thousands of videos on YouTube that will help.
I'm have wonderful memories when I was a child of camping with my family, enjoy making yours..
Cheers ?

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yea, your new ranger will easily tow that trailer.
I recommend the Ford brake controller for a couple of reasons including interfacing with the trucks "Emergency Braking System" so the contoller applies the trailer brakes if the system engages in an emergency.
The other main reason is super easy to use and clean installation.
I also recommend since you are new, that you develop simple checklists for loading the trailer, hooking up to the truck, unhooking from the truck and hooking the traiker up to campsite services and finally dumping the black and grey water tanks.
There are thousands of videos on YouTube that will help.
I'm have wonderful memories when I was a child of camping with my family, enjoy making yours..
Cheers ?
Appreciate the advice. I'm leaning toward the Ford brake controller to keep it consistent with the existing systems and to avoid any issues re voiding of warranties.

Looking up all the videos makes me feel like I'm in school again. We can't wait to get out there and unplug.

Zemog

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Software Engineer
Appreciate the advice. I'm leaning toward the Ford brake controller to keep it consistent with the existing systems and to avoid any issues re voiding of warranties.

Looking up all the videos makes me feel like I'm in school again. We can't wait to get out there and unplug.
I was planning on using the "Official Ford" TBC as well, but currently the dealer says there aren't any available. I too want to make sure not to void any warranties since this is the first new vehicle I've purchase in a really long time.
Was curious if the TBC shortage is just in the Saint Louis area, or everywhere. Am curious how that works out for you. It's not a big deal for me since I'm only "shopping" for RVs now, but want to have everything good to.

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was planning on using the "Official Ford" TBC as well, but currently the dealer says there aren't any available. I too want to make sure not to void any warranties since this is the first new vehicle I've purchase in a really long time.
Was curious if the TBC shortage is just in the Saint Louis area, or everywhere. Am curious how that works out for you. It's not a big deal for me since I'm only "shopping" for RVs now, but want to have everything good to.
Interesting issue. I don't have my Ranger just yet. It's in transit to the dealer and should get here this weekend.

As for the TBC, I plan on waiting a few months to have it installed. We plan on getting a trailer some time near the end of this year/beginning of next.

It seems odd to me that Ford is out of TBC's. The only thing I can think of is increased (and unexpected) demand because more people are travelling with trailers over the summer? It seems like something that Ford and dealers should have expected since most other activities are closed with the COVID mess and being outdoors seems to be the only thing the consensus of folks agree has a relatively low risk of exposure.

Anyway, good luck.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
It seems odd to me that Ford is out of TBC's.
Indeed. I found it strange that they sold a truck with "Best In Class Towing!" that lacked a vital component that would allow it to tug anything bigger than a U-Haul.

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
Well guys pulled it home 20 miles in a Florida rainstorm going about 55-60 MPG.

Multiple semis past and I felt it not gonna lie but nothing terrible or crazy. Engine was idling about 2000/2500 RPM the whole time pulling.

IMG_20200711_153923.jpg
Glad to read this.
I also have a new Freedom Express and can't wait to take it out as soon as my truck arrives!
My model is slightly smaller:
https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/freedom-express-ultra-lite/257BHS/369
I have Sumo Springs to install on the truck, but will also look at getting the Trailer Sumo springs.
How was your transmission? I am thinking of adding a transmission cooler to make sure it doesn't overheat.

OP
OP
Schnellfeuer

Schnellfeuer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XL SuperCrew 4x4
Glad to read this.
I also have a new Freedom Express and can't wait to take it out as soon as my truck arrives!
My model is slightly smaller:
https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/freedom-express-ultra-lite/257BHS/369
I have Sumo Springs to install on the truck, but will also look at getting the Trailer Sumo springs.
How was your transmission? I am thinking of adding a transmission cooler to make sure it doesn't overheat.
If I am not mistaken if your ranger came with the towing package it already has transmission coolers in it?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
If I am not mistaken if your ranger came with the towing package it already has transmission coolers in it?
All Rangers have a transmission cooler standard. The towing package is just the receiver hitch and 4/7 pin connectors.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
2020-05-09 10-48-30_1a.jpg

We've been towing a 24' (29' LOA) travel trailer at around 6,500 lbs with water. This is a bit longer and heavier than we had originally planned, but has been working out okay. I really wouldn't consider anything longer or heavier. Our highest comfortable highway speed is 65, but we back off to 60 or 55 if there is any significant crosswind as we do get bounced around quite a bit. Going faster than 65 doesn't feel confident or comfortable, even in calm wind, and that would just further tank the mileage anyway. The biggest disappointment is range, which is about 185 miles as our mileage at highway speeds averages only about 9 mpg. I really wish we had an extra 5 gallons or so of fuel capacity. We have more than enough power going up mountain passes at highway speeds but we typically go a bit slower on the downhill side. The tow mode on the transmission works surprisingly well, automatically downshifting when you touch the brakes, meaning I rarely have to manually downshift. The Ford/Redarc brake controller works well, and the few times that I've had to brake aggressively, the truck and trailer have behaved compliantly. I've never had to manually hit the brake controller. The one time I got a surprise gust at the peak of a hill, everything straightened out almost immediately. The Ranger's built-in sway control likely restored order before I had a chance.
Was thinking the same thing. 25ft or less and would want to be 6000 or less in weight. I got a micro minnie which is 7 ft wide. Makes it very easy to tow.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
Well we pulled the trigger on the 33' trailer. Here is it hooked up to the truck. They had to put a 9" drop on it to set it up right.

IMG_20200703_110305.jpg
IMG_20200703_105420.jpg
My experience with rvs is that it takes you three times to find the one you really want :)

RangerLover

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab

Ranger_Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
RangerLover - How does your rig handle in the wind? Looks like you have a WDH. Also, the braking performance....assuming you have a brake controller. I am looking at something similar in size and weight....many seasoned in towing tell me the unit is to big...but I am beginning to doubt the knowledge
Sponsored