Windshield - Off gas

gwartney

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
This is probably not a systemic problem since I don't find it mentioned anywhere on here but I'm going to ask anyway. 2019 Ranger Lariat. Due to pandemic and health problems it has sat in my garage with the windows rolled up for most of its' life. The garage gets hot but the Ranger hasn't had much exposure to the Texas sun.

I have recently been able to drive it again and it has a thick coating of goo on the inside windshield. It's so bad that I really shouldn't drive it from dusk until daylight. It is not from a broken heater core and Antifreeze. I believe it is from the dash and plastics off gassing with nowhere to go since the windows were rolled up. I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to clean it and all I did was move the goop around. I used every method I know and could find on the Internet and it's still there. I did get a suggestion to use a grease cutting Magic Eraser. The Magic Eraser I tried yesterday is the regular household one. I'll try that today but considering what I have already tried, I don't expect it to clean the stuff off. I have a lot of experience cleaning cars and windshield including cleaning fogged windows due to the off gas. This one has stumped me. I'm wondering if is a known problem with the new Rangers. I doubt it or I would have found it mentioned here.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Mine had some when I took delivery. I just thought it was a bad prep job. Maybe it was off gassing. I recently had it detailed at around 10k miles and it had more crap on the inside windshield. Again I just thought it was a bad prep or cleaning job. But mine comes off without too much effort. I just use a dry towel.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
The Car Talk guys used to bring this up pretty frequently. Yes, it's the plastic parts vaporizing then sticking to the glass. They said that if you just take up cigar smoking, you'll never notice the dash offgassing residue again!

Or, for a more lung-friendly solution, just follow Dave's instructions.

Arc Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL SuperCrew with STX package
Vehicle Showcase
I use a spray foam glass cleaner and use crumpled up newspapers to wipe it off. Obviously newspaper doesn't hold much liquid so you need to change sheets after just one or two wipes, but it seems to work well. My grandfather (R.I.P.) was the one who told me about the newspaper's ability to absorb the oils that get on the windshield. I didn't believe it until I tried it. Now it's all I use.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
I have waxed the inside of the windshield before. in the mid 70's I used to detail new honds and used Glass Wax.

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You guys are amateurs….

Foam Cannon…

CAB9F636-988A-49C2-8EAA-DC7FDC55C85F.jpeg

High Pressure Rinse…

C62407DC-5C4E-4F2B-A095-9B93C43A95B4.jpeg
Duke, now you've given me a good idea and a good excuse to buy some more microfiber towels. ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Duke, now you've given me a good idea and a good excuse to buy some more microfiber towels. ?
Buy a hundred more - this process requires plenty.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Try follow the steps in the link below. I posted this a while back and it's great for cleaning your windshield. I'll get a lot of hazing from the off gassing and after doing this it's crystal clear.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/how-to-super-clean-the-inside-of-your-windshield.4934/
You may have already tried this, since it’s on the Internet, but seems helpful.
x2 (or x3?)on this video. His process works REALLY well

I use a spray foam glass cleaner and use crumpled up newspapers to wipe it off. Obviously newspaper doesn't hold much liquid so you need to change sheets after just one or two wipes, but it seems to work well. My grandfather (R.I.P.) was the one who told me about the newspaper's ability to absorb the oils that get on the windshield. I didn't believe it until I tried it. Now it's all I use.
LOL I used to use newspaper, do they still exist!?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This is from out gassing of plastics. That new car smell that everyone loves is derived from this. It’s toxic as hell too! Others mentioned in this thread how to clean it up. Protecting yourself is more important, vent the interior well before entering and taking a big lung full.

Takes some patience but it does come off.
Sponsored