Windshield Protectant

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
I’m about to take a LONG road trip and totally despise bugs. Left to my own knowledge, I’ll just use Rain X. Other suggestions?
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Is that an easy DIY process?
No not as easy as rainx. I used Turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray on my windshield before. Just followed the directions like it was paint. Worked good.
I have heard nu finish works well on windshields, have not tried though.

I'm talking mainly about water, if you are asking about bug protection I doubt anything will help all that much. Splat and stick.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
You could get the Ford Hood protector Aeroskin 2 black textured ($89) - none to very few bugs get to wind shield and I think the ones that do come in from a side angle that I've caught before smoosh. Rain-X makes cleaning a snap on those few.

Caution, your bugs may vary and be made of bondex, pine sap or crazy glue to the point of needing a new windshield...:crackup:

OP
OP

Jon54

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Edge Ltd
You could get the Ford Hood protector Aeroskin 2 black textured ($89) - none to very few bugs get to wind shield and I think the ones that do come in from a side angle that I've caught before smoosh. Rain-X makes cleaning a snap on those few.

Caution, your bugs may vary and be made of bondex, pine sap or crazy glue to the point of needing a new windshield...:crackup:
I have the hood protector already. Just figured I wanted to get as much protection before beginning a 2,000 mile drive.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Jon, I just use the RainX window cleaner, and carry a bottle with me to clean the windshield at the end of the day. There really isn't much else you can do. The bugs are gonna get you no matter what you got on the glass. :) Enjoy your journey.

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
I use P&s beadmaker when I wash my truck as a drying agent. Then maybe 4 times a year apply on dry vehicle on all surfaces including glass And trim. Its a polymer that keeps crap from sticking. $20ish on amazon. Rainx is a wax that actually traps contaminants.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
RainX is easy and lasts. I've always used it on every vehicle, and carry a small bottle for my business trips for rental cars. Bugs do not stick, they wipe off easy when I wash/scrub the screen. And it definitely doesn't trap any contamination, my original 87 windshield has been religiously applied twice a year and is crystal clear (ignoring the sand chips lol)

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
RainX is easy and lasts. I've always used it on every vehicle, and carry a small bottle for my business trips for rental cars. Bugs do not stick, they wipe off easy when I wash/scrub the screen. And it definitely doesn't trap any contamination, my original 87 windshield has been religiously applied twice a year and is crystal clear (ignoring the sand chips lol)
I’m about to take a LONG road trip and totally despise bugs. Left to my own knowledge, I’ll just use Rain X. Other suggestions?
I installed a bug deflector that works well. I went the extra mile and had it painted body color. Good luck!
F89EF00E-D170-4594-AE28-48978705FDE6.jpeg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I use Optimums Opti Seal on all my glass, it last much longer than Rain X. It's a paint sealant but also good for glass and ss appliances. I teat my shower door/wall glass with this stuff and the water will bead up for over 6 months. Yes it's expensive but you only need a couple sprays to do the whole windshield. I've had the same bottle now for over 5 years and it's still 2/3 full.

Opti Seal.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-2023...d=1599765113&sprefix=opti+seal,aps,209&sr=8-1

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I use Optimums Opti Seal on all my glass, it last much longer than Rain X. It's a paint sealant but also good for glass and ss appliances. I teat my shower door/wall glass with this stuff and the water will bead up for over 6 months. Yes it's expensive but you only need a couple sprays to do the whole windshield. I've had the same bottle now for over 5 years and it's still 2/3 full.

I am just calling this out because I can image @AzScorpion smashed against the shower door doing some bump and grind with his chest LOL!!!!?

Sorry about bolding the whole string there, I am having some problems with the app and getting stuff selected or images posted last couple of days. Looks like the middle of the area is dead to mousing.

PS I'll admit to eating letters as I type and "seeing" them there when I edit, but hey almost 70 lol!!

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I use The Last Coat and AMP as a booster, works great!
Sponsored