Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I want to be able to take my motorcycle with me so I will be starting a cargo to camper trailer conversion soon.
Have you checked out tnttt.com ? TONS of info there !!!
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

THuffRanger

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Keihin-Die Maintenance
So a few recommendations from someone that is towing too big of a trailer.. definitely donā€™t go over 22ā€™ and stay under 5000 lbs dry. Our trailer is 5800 dry and 7550 gvwr. 23ā€™ Completely stock it towed the trailer ā€œokā€ with weight distribution bars and cooper 10 ply tires it helped a ton. Although towing still isnā€™t enjoyable. Itā€™s just too big of a trailer for the truck. Weā€™re temporarily living in this Forest River Evo so we donā€™t regret getting it but I think we will end up downsizing once we get a house and want a trailer for camping and traveling.

D055781F-A25A-4532-A71A-D4988DE8CF67.jpeg

81D27580-6BAE-4163-96B7-353901A1F85B.jpeg
So a few recommendations from someone that is towing too big of a trailer.. definitely donā€™t go over 22ā€™ and stay under 5000 lbs dry. Our trailer is 5800 dry and 7550 gvwr. 23ā€™ Completely stock it towed the trailer ā€œokā€ with weight distribution bars and cooper 10 ply tires it helped a ton. Although towing still isnā€™t enjoyable. Itā€™s just too big of a trailer for the truck. Weā€™re temporarily living in this Forest River Evo so we donā€™t regret getting it but I think we will end up downsizing once we get a house and want a trailer for camping and traveling.

D055781F-A25A-4532-A71A-D4988DE8CF67.jpeg

81D27580-6BAE-4163-96B7-353901A1F85B.jpeg
We are looking at a Palomino xle puma. 4800uvw and 6500gvwr 24 boxed and 27 total length. Do u think it is to much for my Ranger? I will only be pulling no more than 2 hours away from home.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
We are looking at a Palomino xle puma. 4800uvw and 6500gvwr 24 boxed and 27 total length. Do u think it is to much for my Ranger? I will only be pulling no more than 2 hours away from home.
We have since sold the trailer. It will be ok but you will have to be on top of it when trucks pass. Itā€™s a bit white knuckle lol I have my CDL so I have lots of experience towing, itā€™s just too small of a truck and that size trailer hooked up to it is like a kite. I personally wouldnā€™t tow that trailer unless you had too. Next trailer we get will be around 18ā€™ or so

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My trailer is 31' overall length and #5350 unloaded. I would recommend something smaller if you're not into white knuckle driving. I drove mine about 2000 miles so far around the flat, and not so flat parts of Michigan. The truck does fine as long as it's not windy. In the wind you have to be on top of your task, and paying attention to everything you feel.

THuffRanger

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Keihin-Die Maintenance
Ok finally a subject Iā€™m very opinionated about and have some experience with. Since 1982 I have towed pop ups of every size, hybrids, and travel trailers. Iā€™ve towed with v8 club wagon, v8 bronco, v8 f150, and Ram 2500 ctd. Here is what Iā€™ve learned.

1. Do not believe a car salesman or rv salesman about what you can tow. EVER.
2. I would not consider a trailer weighing much more than 50% of tow rating. Safety and vehicle durability prime considerations.
3. You are probably considering a unit larger than you really need (perhaps a wifely influence).
Shorter and lighter is preferable and safer in this case. And you will have more cushion for people and stuff.
4. I would look for something in the 7ā€™ wide range and 18ā€™-20ā€™ long.
5. Trailers with 2 axles track better but weigh more.
6. A careful study of manufacturers tow ratings will prove this out. Look at things like trailer frontal area and steep grades in mountains, weight of passengers, tools, topper, hitch etc.

Iā€™m selling my 07 ram in the spring and I hope to own a ranger. Iā€™m considering a casita travel trailer. I do hope you find a great trailer and will able to enjoy your travels for a longtime.
Happy hunting.
Joe S.
How do you think the Ranger will tow a single axle travel trailer? 23 ft or under?4,200 lbs. Iā€™m worried about the sway! Iā€™ve been told to go with a dual axle but your adding more weight. What to do?

THuffRanger

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Keihin-Die Maintenance
We are "life time" towers of Travel Trailers, and are, in fact, along the gulf coast being a snow bird until it's safer to go back north. Even a 7' wide model is still wider than your truck mirrors and that's an issue. I'd also strongly suggest that towing above 4000lb dry weight of any TT is all you want. They tow like a para-sail when there's a puff of wind or 18 wheelers are around you. No fun, no fun at all. 7500 tow rating means nothing much when it comes to T.T. towing. A flat bed trailer hauling that weight is one thing, a TT is a different creature all together. Lots of nice models in your specified length well under 4000 lbs. The list is long and you probably already know most of them. We've had most of them. The Rockwood GeoPro/E-Pro is quite nice, but way over board on techie stuff that has proven somewhat a nuisance to most of their owners. We love ours.

IMG_0899 2.jpg
Do you you have any trouble on sway with your Ranger? Just trying to decide on a single or dual axle.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
How do you think the Ranger will tow a single axle travel trailer? 23 ft or under?4,200 lbs. Iā€™m worried about the sway! Iā€™ve been told to go with a dual axle but your adding more weight. What to do?
Under 23 feet and under 4200 pounds and single axle? We have zero issues pulling an 18'3" NuCamp Tab 400 Boondock coming in at 2947 pounds (dry weight) with a tongue weight of about 330 pounds.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
my prior trailer was a Forrest river 207bh which was 20ā€˜, single axle, and 3500# dry. It towed without any trouble at all.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of these Earth Roamers. Maybe they will do a mini version with a Ranger???
1610397321697.png
Earthroamer is right next door to me. You're looking at close to million dollars worth of vehicles in that picture.

The vast majority of us here could never afford an Earthroamer.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hi Dan,

Quite ugly in shorts in the summer....Sign :frown:

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. retired
Got nothing on my knobby set.:crackup: That's why I'm not a shorts person.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
The Ranger is ideally suited to tow exactly what you describe.
Single axle trailers are not more prone to sway than tandems
It simply requires a slightly different setup which includes a level to slightly down angle at the tongue and adequate tongue weight (12 to 14% of trailer weight)
The addition of a friction antisway device will greatly improve stability, but only after the setup is done properly without it.
Sponsored