First time towing a Travel Trailer (before i buy)

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat 4wd
Jeeze Louise. 5 pages of this thread, just take the trailer you want to buy to a scale. If the dealer cant let you do that, they cant have a sale, simple. The dealership is not lying to you....they dont know exactly what it weighs. Neither does that gadget you just bought. You would have been better off to spend that money on a tongue weight scale. Then each time you load it up you can check and adjust your load.

I will agree that there is no reason that the ranger should be deemed unsafe if towing within its limits. I push it with my boat but I took it to a cat scale, have all the info and have good brakes on both axles. People like you who are trying to do the right thing are (generally) not the problem on the road.

Just weight the damn thing, make the decision with all the info and then you can tune out the online forum weight police.
Honestly yes it's a lot of pages. But I am grateful because I have learned alot. I have taken the good info and bad info, then figured out what should be safe. My goal was to figure out what is safe. I got a handle on it at this point. I will weigh the trailer at a weigh station before I buy it.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Saw this the video the other day. The results are pretty obvious, and TFL does like to drag things out a little bit, but they do good stuff. Also, not necessarily a Ranger, but the purpose of the video comes across. The Ranger may have done better, may have not. I personally think it would've gotten better than 5mpg (spoiler) and not been screaming the whole time like the Jeep was, but that's the truck they had on hand for this test.

Not saying anything about your choices or decision making. And I know you said earlier you bought the truck without towing in mind, so no fault there. Just more of an interesting video for others to see when they visit this thread.

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
Saw this the video the other day. The results are pretty obvious, and TFL does like to drag things out a little bit, but they do good stuff. Also, not necessarily a Ranger, but the purpose of the video comes across. The Ranger may have done better, may have not. I personally think it would've gotten better than 5mpg (spoiler) and not been screaming the whole time like the Jeep was, but that's the truck they had on hand for this test.

Not saying anything about your choices or decision making. And I know you said earlier you bought the truck without towing in mind, so no fault there. Just more of an interesting video for others to see when they visit this thread.

I'm surprised they used the Gladiator rather than something that performed better in prior Ike challenges, like the Ranger. Yeah, these midsize trucks "can" pull that load, but the question is do you really want to pull that load? I seriously considered the Gladiator, but the Ike test they performed, and the price, kept me away.

Rob R

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Septa Railroad
Thank you for explaining. I found a fun way to figure out what I can tow. Called a trailer rental company. Trust me they will not rent you something you can't tow. They would be liable.

I was buying a generator because I wanted one for my house (backup), just figured it just in case I did bring it. I have solar and having them add the option for a generator for emergencies on my house.

Also I did the GCWR already.
GCWR =12,500 pounds
Truck Weight = 4441 pounds
Max trailer = 7500 pounds
Left over after max tow = 559 pounds
(Left over could be used for passenger weight, this is more just accounting for everything)

So let got with my wife's trailer she wants, link below.

Truck = 4441 pounds
Trailer = 5987 pounds
Total = 10,428 pound

GCWR - above
12,500 - 10,428 = 2072 pounds.

So this is the biggest trailer my wife wants and still we have 2072 pounds for cargo. It can be done, but I need to watch the weight. Too close for me still.

Rviator what do you think?

https://www.bestrv.com/New-Inventor...23BHHL-Forest-River-Wildwood-8152174?ref=list

Below is the link to what you spoke about.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard
So I am new here, so Hello and thank you to everyone.

I have a new 2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew 4x4 FX4, Its fully loaded. I also have the trailer brake controller VKB3Z-2C006-A being installed. Below is the trailer I am looking at. I realize its 100lbs over, GVWR but we are not going to run it full loaded, There is only 3 people in my family (one child). We are going to use a camp ground so we are not carrying max load or any where near. Please understand I am new at towing, so explain please. Also I was told yes weight is important but this trailer is too long (this was from a friend who still thinks the Ranger is still the same size as the 90's ones. Also how does all the weight work with the truck bed? So the truck bed can have 1650lbs. So can you tow 7500lbs plus have 1650lbs in the bed? Thank you for helping.

https://www.southernrv.com/New-Inve...-Super-Lite-SS289QB-McDonough-Georgia-7160249

• Dry Weight 5661 lbs
  • Hitch Weight 768
  • GVWR 7600

ford.jpg

I was reading some of the post and just wanted to drop in something the GVWR has a lot to do with your breaking power to be able to stop safely.. towing wise 7000 lbs pounds is not that much your rolling resistance is 10% of the weight of the trailer you need to pull so 700 pounds is what you need to move...but this is the big part the trailer being heavier then you is what you need to be careful of because it can over power the truck and you could have trouble controlling it.... and one more thing in the towing industry you must have 50% of your steering axle weight on the ground to be legal or tires will lock during breaking and slide in the turns... Sorry just needed to add my two cents hope this helps someone..

Deleted member 1634

I'm surprised they used the Gladiator rather than something that performed better in prior Ike challenges, like the Ranger. Yeah, these midsize trucks "can" pull that load, but the question is do you really want to pull that load? I seriously considered the Gladiator, but the Ike test they performed, and the price, kept me away.
Yeah, the only reason I can think that they used the Gladiator is because they already had one on site to do other testing with. Or also so they could have all big 3 included, and since the heavy duty one they chose was already a Ford, you can't have 2 Fords in the competition by their logic. Maybe. Otherwise I would say maybe it's that the Gladiator technically has best in class towing, but only on one configuration as opposed to all Ranger configurations being able to pull the same. The Ranger definitely would've done better, but I think they got the point across about mid, full, and heavy.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Yeah, the only reason I can think that they used the Gladiator is because they already had one on site to do other testing with
this. they don't have a lot of resources, so a lot of their content (especially the most click-baity things, like this) is just dictated by what they have that day rather than by anything that makes sense.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I tow a somewhat similar TT. I use a E2 weight distribution w/sway control 1,000/10,000 bars. I have a RedArc trailer brake controller. I did spend plenty of time setting my hitch up. Use your owners manual and You tube and get your measurements/weight distribution correct. Setup is a must for any vehicle and don't trust the RV dealer as they do a generic setup and my last F-150 was way off.. I towed the same TT with that 2016 F-150 and I think the Ranger is just as stable and while the 2.3EB is not the 2.7EB, it is still pretty amazing. The 2.3 EB pulls this trailer easier than my 2008 5.4 pulled a trailer weighing over 1,000lbs less. No joking there, these turbo engines have such a crazy amount of low rpm torque, they truly are amazing. I can't tell you what's right for you. I started towing a TT in 2010 and it was a 23' that weighed 3,900 lbs and that was with a 2008 F-150. I don't feel any less safe and this Ranger feels more capable. Prior to towing the TT I towed cars, ATV's etc, so I did have some experience. I probably wouldn't recommend towing extra long distances with a trailer this size with a Ranger, I usually tow less than 45 miles to camp.
UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)*
Dry Hitch Weight*
Dry Axle Weight*
NCC (Net Carrying Capacity)
GVWR
Interior Height
78"
Exterior Height (with A/C)
10' 7"
Exterior Width
96"
Exterior Length
31' 3"
Refrigerator (Cubic Feet)
Water Heater Cap. (Gal. G/E w/DSI)
Fresh Water Cap. (Gal.)
Waste Water Cap. (Gal.)
Gray Water Cap. (Gal.)
LP Gas Cap. (Lbs.)
Furnace BTUs (1,000s)
Tire Size
14"
Awning
20'

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I have a 8.5x20’ enclosed that is very much on the limit of the Ranger’s specs. However this not my primary tow vehicle but it will do the job 4-5 times a year. On another forum several people told Im gonna die the moment I connect the hitch (hyperbole to make a point). They are wrong.

Two major factors to take into consideration...
1) how much of a windsail is the trailer? A 24’ extra tall travel trailer thats 7500lbs in a cross wind can be dangerous when the tow vehicle is 3k lighter.
2) speed. Stability and danger change exponentially with speed so some guys think everyone wants to tow at 80mph and I think that’s fundamentally insane. This same crowd thinks that towing with a Ranger = sudden death. Meanwhile at 70mph and below with a trailer that isnt a massive windsail - you can pull the max weight safely and comfortably.

Knolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
Hey all, I hope you don't mind me poking into this thread with a very similar question...

I'm looking to buy a Ranger to tow a small toy hauler a few times a year. Options I'm looking at are:

https://coachmenrv.com/toy-haulers/freedom-express-blast/17BLSE/3786
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/wolf-pup/18RJB/4355

The Coachmen is a foot shorter but a foot wider than the Wolf Pup. In terms of use either would do the job for me. With the water tank full and a couple of bikes, I'm still looking at under 5000 lbs of total trailer weight. The RV dealer was quick to tell me I'm a fool for considering towing that with a Ranger, anyone care to agree or disagree? I haven't purchased the Ranger yet so could move to a half-ton if needed, but for space and budget reasons would really prefer not to.

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT w/ FX4, tow package, spary-in bed liner.
Hey all, I hope you don't mind me poking into this thread with a very similar question...

I'm looking to buy a Ranger to tow a small toy hauler a few times a year. Options I'm looking at are:

https://coachmenrv.com/toy-haulers/freedom-express-blast/17BLSE/3786
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/wolf-pup/18RJB/4355

The Coachmen is a foot shorter but a foot wider than the Wolf Pup. In terms of use either would do the job for me. With the water tank full and a couple of bikes, I'm still looking at under 5000 lbs of total trailer weight. The RV dealer was quick to tell me I'm a fool for considering towing that with a Ranger, anyone care to agree or disagree? I haven't purchased the Ranger yet so could move to a half-ton if needed, but for space and budget reasons would really prefer not to.
My TT is ~5300 loaded and I think I'm pushing the realistic limits, ~4800lb unloaded weight.

The issue you're going to have is that when you load up whatever toy those trailers are hauling is that you will likely be damn near the max weight - if not over - for the Ranger, depending on the toy. You have to account for the wind profile/rating of a TT vs the raw max weight ratings of the vehicle. You are trying to max out/nearly max out both of them at the same time - that's a recipe for trouble.

That first trailer you listed is a disaster waiting to happen with a ranger (6klb DRY toy hauler on a 7500 max rating??). If it was an Airstream (they tend to be low profile) you'd be fine @6klb, but you need to add 500+lb of shit to that weight, and THEN whatever toy you're hauling.

Most RV dealers tell people the opposite - that even when clearly over the limits that they aren't. When an RV dealer tells you your trying to tow too much, you are absolutely trying to tow too much.

See below, I misread the weights.

Last edited:

Knolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
My TT is ~5300 loaded and I think I'm pushing the realistic limits, ~4800lb unloaded weight.

The issue you're going to have is that when you load up whatever toy those trailers are hauling is that you will likely be damn near the max weight - if not over - for the Ranger, depending on the toy. You have to account for the wind profile/rating of a TT vs the raw max weight ratings of the vehicle. You are trying to max out/nearly max out both of them at the same time - that's a recipe for trouble.

That first trailer you listed is a disaster waiting to happen with a ranger (6klb DRY toy hauler on a 7500 max rating??). If it was an Airstream (they tend to be low profile) you'd be fine @6klb, but you need to add 500+lb of shit to that weight, and THEN whatever toy you're hauling..
The first trailer is 3594 lbs empty. The 5900 number is the gross vehicle weight rating, so max when fully loaded. I know RVs generally are optimistic with weights so the RV dealer actually got one on the scale and got a "real world" weight of 3750 lbs empty.

I'd be loading up a max of two motorcycles with a combined weight somewhere around 750 lbs, so weight-wise I think I should be in the same ballpark as you.

Funny anecdote about RV dealers though. Hmm, maybe it's not a coincidence that I hadn't bought the Ranger yet and the dealer happened to have a few used F150s in stock?

ztbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT w/ FX4, tow package, spary-in bed liner.
The first trailer is 3594 lbs empty. The 5900 number is the gross vehicle weight rating, so max when fully loaded. I know RVs generally are optimistic with weights so the RV dealer actually got one on the scale and got a "real world" weight of 3750 lbs empty.

I'd be loading up a max of two motorcycles with a combined weight somewhere around 750 lbs, so weight-wise I think I should be in the same ballpark as you.

Funny anecdote about RV dealers though. Hmm, maybe it's not a coincidence that I hadn't bought the Ranger yet and the dealer happened to have a few used F150s in stock?
LMAO I'm sorry, I misread that as the dry weight. Ignore my post then.

Yea my RV dealer didn't sell trucks, most don't. I told them I had a '19 ranger and they said "a what?". They had never even seen one before (I bought it before the TT knowing I was going for a small trailer, It's me and two dogs in a top 10 city in America by population.). I gave them the spec sheet and they mostly kept within reasonable limits of what they showed me, with a few slight outliers where I outright said it doesn't fit I'm not buying it, move on.

With this in mind, they probably think you're talking about the old school Rangers. They'd be right in that case. Educate them a bit about it, mine was the same way.

Last edited:

Knolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Acadia
LMAO I'm sorry, I misread that as the dry weight. Ignore my post then.
No worries, if I thought someone was asking the question you thought I was asking, I would have reacted the same way!

I appreciate the thoughts. Browsing around seeing what people tow with the Ranger has given me so much confidence. It's definitely the right vehicle for my needs.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I didn’t read all the posts in this thread, but if you want to tow a "long" travel trailer with a Ranger, I would do the following. (1) Test tow and stop at a truck stop with a CAT scale. I haven’t visited a CAT scale in years, but they used to be @ $8 for a weigh. CAT scales have multiple weight plates, so you can get all the weight measurements you will need: front and rear axle, unloaded truck weight, trailer weight, trailer tongue weight, etc. (2) If you want to tow this trailer safely, you will want a premium hitch. You will not want the piece of junk weight distributing hitch with the friction sway control the RV dealer will want to sell you. The hitch I would recommend is a Hensley or the ProPride. Both of these hitches geometrically move the trailer pivot point from behind the rear bumper to around the rear axle. That will give a huge improvement in stability and sway control. You will have comparable stability to a pickup pulling a 5th wheel. The down side to these hitches is they are expensive. You can find them used though. (3) You will need load range D to E tires. You will probably also need air bags.