First time towing a Travel Trailer (before i buy)

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
With a high-profile trailer, I would be prepared to put 15% of the towed weight on the tongue. With the 750 pound hitch limit, that would mean an absolute maximum of 5000 pounds of trailer. Don’t forget that the people and stuff in the truck count toward the total numbers, so you might not get to use all of the 750 pounds of hitch capacity before overloading the truck.

People have different ideas of what “camping” means, and you don’t get a lot of luxury in this weight class. I‘m not a fan of the common “tent sandwich“ pop-up trailers, but I do like the design of the A-Liner. Less trailer surface area for wind effects makes for an easier and safer tow.

If you really want to tap into decades of experience solving these problems safely, have a look at irv2.com. Advance warning - it‘s like drinking from a fire hose, with strong opinions that can sometimes be annoying.
Sponsored

BryanJay

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
With a high-profile trailer, I would be prepared to put 15% of the towed weight on the tongue. With the 750 pound hitch limit, that would mean an absolute maximum of 5000 pounds of trailer. Don’t forget that the people and stuff in the truck count toward the total numbers, so you might not get to use all of the 750 pounds of hitch capacity before overloading the truck.

People have different ideas of what “camping” means, and you don’t get a lot of luxury in this weight class. I‘m not a fan of the common “tent sandwich“ pop-up trailers, but I do like the design of the A-Liner. Less trailer surface area for wind effects makes for an easier and safer tow.

If you really want to tap into decades of experience solving these problems safely, have a look at irv2.com. Advance warning - it‘s like drinking from a fire hose, with strong opinions that can sometimes be annoying.
I’ll vouch for the Aliner. I took mine for its first trip last weekend and it was a dream to tow. Not quite the same league as a lot of the trailers on here, only around 3000 pounds loaded. Still plenty of power, and my mileage was better than the 2015 Pathfinder I replaced, averaged around 21 mpg in rolling hills heading into the Rockies. Where the Pathfinder struggled, my Ranger barely blinked.

076C3387-CCB1-483A-943D-6C046AAE9BEE.jpeg

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
I pull a Forest River R-Pod 191 with my Ranger, A little smaller than what your looking at but not much. I Have a Husky Centerline TS hitch with sway control and the lightest bars (400-600# tw). I have the Redarc controller not the Ford version. I needed to put in a controller before Ford finally released theirs. I know some people say the Ranger "pulls it like it's not even there". Close, Plenty of power, but you do know 5000# is there. That being said I have had no issues with the trailer being squirrely, feels solid and comfortable on the highway.

I think the size and weight limits you are setting for yourself are very reasonable. Just get a good WDH ( lot of options and opinions there) and have it setup correctly and you should have no problems. I like my Redarc TBC, but which I could get a kit to retrofit the module to get the AEB working. Don't have Adaptive Cruise, but you shouldn't use that while towing anyway.

Heres a picture of my rig:
Camper one.jpg
Thanks for that. R-Pods are also on our list in the bunkhouse model (193, I think) in case we have a second kid or if the little one wants one of his friends to tag along.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the hitch weight on your rig empty vs. fully loaded? Since I'm new to the whole TT thing, I'm not sure how much weight (as a percentage of added weight) is added to the tongue once a TT is loaded with all the camping items.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I’ll vouch for the Aliner. I took mine for its first trip last weekend and it was a dream to tow. Not quite the same league as a lot of the trailers on here, only around 3000 pounds loaded. Still plenty of power, and my mileage was better than the 2015 Pathfinder I replaced, averaged around 21 mpg in rolling hills heading into the Rockies. Where the Pathfinder struggled, my Ranger barely blinked.

076C3387-CCB1-483A-943D-6C046AAE9BEE.jpeg
I think that’s just right for the Ranger. There’s nothing like a turbocharger in the mountains. Thin air? NOT!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Don’t worry about anything under 25’ being too much for the truck. Mine is #6000+ and 33’10” ball to bumper. It goes fine over the last several thousand miles. I started with a 207bh by Forrest river and it was completely fine on the truck for a beginner at travel trailering.

I don’t tow the mountains, and all of my destinations have been within 1-2 tanks in either direction, so ymmv.

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat 4wd
I guess I should post the update since its been a while. I ended up getting a 22ft trailer that is 5500lbs. Towed it from the dealer and then 2 days later the state went in to lockdown. So we have not got to use it.

It was a little windy and it weight was not a issue, but I could feel the wind. Towed fine for a 1 hour trip home.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks for that. R-Pods are also on our list in the bunkhouse model (193, I think) in case we have a second kid or if the little one wants one of his friends to tag along.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the hitch weight on your rig empty vs. fully loaded? Since I'm new to the whole TT thing, I'm not sure how much weight (as a percentage of added weight) is added to the tongue once a TT is loaded with all the camping items.
Sorry for the late reply, I guess I missed the alert
I'm running a little under 425# hitch weight. Never weighed it empty, think it something like 315# dry, according to specs. This can vary depending how you load things front to back. Good rule of thumb is your tongue weight should be 10 to 15 percent of trailer weight. Any less than 10 percent and you are asking for sway. You need to watch this if you are towing anything in your tanks. I try to not tow with anything in my black or grey tanks as they are farther back on my trailer. Fresh water is farther front. As has probably been mentioned load it like you plan on traveling and it weighed. Tongue weight, trailer weight, total weight and axle weight. Then you know where you stand. Make sure your hitch is setup correctly. Trailer needs to be level or slightly nose down. Weight distribution set to not take to much off front or back of truck. Too light in front hard to steer, too light in back the tail starts wagging the dog. Either one not good.

Looks like you found your trailer, sounds reasonable for the ranger. I wouldn't go much bigger. Safe towing and happy camping.

RangerLover

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab
That trailer isn't much different from my Rockwood 2104S, just a little longer and has a bunk house. My post history has extensive details on weights/hitch and getting shit to feel alright while driving if you want to go read them, but they're not my final and up-to-date numbers.

I'm using a 10k/1k equilizer, tongue weight with battery and 2x 30lb propane tanks (full) is 614lb (~4800lb total unloaded trailer wieght). Fully loaded to camp (dry water tanks) I'm at around 5300lb on the trailer and 700lb tongue (subtracting the EQ hitch, weighed with it on but not engaged), a hair under 10k GCVWR. It drives a little bouncy with the trailer attached but even when Semi's have passed me on 65 mph 2 laned-no divider roads, I was able to keep it in my lane. I keep it to a MAX of 62-63 mph in perfect conditions. If it starts raining or the crosswinds get above 10-12 mph, slow down a bit.

I would just go drive it around town and on the interstate with just you before you take your family on a trip so that you're used to it before you add the risk (read: stress) of spouse and mini-me.

Bonus note: whoever does the cooking for your family will love that L-shaped kitchen. I love cooking and I actually prefer the camper to my apartment (though mostly because it's a gas stove vs electric...).
I pull a MiniLite 2205s with mine with no issues at all!
BD0E4BA5-0439-40C4-AA1F-1E41EF46CFF6.jpeg

Last edited:

USARanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
IT
I guess I should post the update since its been a while. I ended up getting a 22ft trailer that is 5500lbs. Towed it from the dealer and then 2 days later the state went in to lockdown. So we have not got to use it.

It was a little windy and it weight was not a issue, but I could feel the wind. Towed fine for a 1 hour trip home.
Good to hear on your update, so if you don't mind me asking....
What was the model of the travel trailer you ended up with? Also, did you have a weight distribution hitch installed?

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat 4wd
Good to hear on your update, so if you don't mind me asking....
What was the model of the travel trailer you ended up with? Also, did you have a weight distribution hitch installed?

This is the model I got. Not from these guys, but they are all the same.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/20...od-Heritage-Glen-Hyper-Lyte-22RBHL-5012766034

Yes I had a weight distribution hitch installed installed and its great. The truck only lowers about an inch or two. I also had 1 lithium battery installed instead of 2 lead acid.
Sponsored