First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Hello all, the Mrs. and I are considering a travel trailer for the Ranger. There's two that we kinda have in mind. The first, and biggest, is a 25 footer. 4,125 dry weight. 2020 model. The dealer has it marked at $21,999. They're having a "sale" and told me I can get another grand off. Still seems high to me, but I don't know. Nada has high of 28, low of 17k, average of 20. Should I play hardball and go lower? How much? I've never negotiated a travel trailer. I have no idea how much wiggle room is there. Help!

https://rv.ganderoutdoors.com/rvdet...let-crossfire-2200bh-bunkhouse-20k-BUF1997933
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If I knew how to negotiate a travel trailer I would help you out. Unfortunately I am unable to help. Now it you are wondering the weight and size of the trailer wont be a problem for the truck what so ever. You are well within towing capacity and I personally would tow a 40 ft trailer as long as it was within the towing capacity.

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
If I knew how to negotiate a travel trailer I would help you out. Unfortunately I am unable to help. Now it you are wondering the weight and size of the trailer wont be a problem for the truck what so ever. You are well within towing capacity and I personally would tow a 40 ft trailer as long as it was within the towing capacity.
Thanks for reaching out, I appreciate. I went to an rv show yesterday and bought a different one ha. I'll get some pictures soon. 23' and 4000 dry. It checked all my boxes and looked like it should be a decent tow. I pick it up next Friday.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Post your CAT scale numbers when you get it ironed out.

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Post your CAT scale numbers when you get it ironed out.
I'll try to get the works weighed as soon as I can. We're pretty rural here and don't have access to CAT specifically, but we have a couple log yards with scales.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
The first, and biggest, is a 25 footer. 4,125 dry weight. 2020 model.
It looks like the trailer in the link has a frontage area of about 80 square feet. It is not a "Spec," but Ford recommends a much more conservative maximum frontage area of 55 square feet. I'm not saying you can't tow that, I'm certain that you can; but have you taken this into consideration?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
It looks like the trailer in the link has a frontage area of about 80 square feet. It is not a "Spec," but Ford recommends a much more conservative maximum frontage area of 55 square feet. I'm not saying you can't tow that, I'm certain that you can; but have you taken this into consideration?
The 2021 Ford Towing selector has a frontal area limit of 55 sq ft. for the Ranger. It has 60sq ft. for a fully loaded F-450 pulling a trailer. I've always questioned the frontal area numbers. I wouldn't plan on pulling a trailer over the limits up a 15% grade at full throttle in 115F temps for hours on end (at speeds that the aero would matter.)

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
It was a concern, and the one I ended up with was a touch smaller. Not a lot, but a little. ~low 70. About the furthest I'm going to pull this is about 100 miles one way. If I was making cross country trips, it definitely would impact my decision more, that's for sure.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
You would regret that quickly if you actually did it. A semi truck passing you or just a decent wind would likely have you anywhere from very white knuckled to on your side in a ditch

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
You would regret that quickly if you actually did it. A semi truck passing you or just a decent wind would likely have you anywhere from very white knuckled to on your side in a ditch
Agreed. I wanted something closer to a 21 box, but I think 23 will be okay, hopefully. I've been pulling trailers since before I had my license ha, so I'm not new to it. But, it's definitely not something to be taken lightly either.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Agreed. I wanted something closer to a 21 box, but I think 23 will be okay, hopefully. I've been pulling trailers since before I had my license ha, so I'm not new to it. But, it's definitely not something to be taken lightly either.
Totally, we had a 23’ trailer that was actually about 28’ total, I tow trailers all the time but this truck is just too small

OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
Totally, we had a 23’ trailer that was actually about 28’ total, I tow trailers all the time but this truck is just too small
Worse case scenario, I'll have to upgrade back to an f150. It's only money right? ha ?‍♂

Redhills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2014 Dodge Ram Quad 4wd
Occupation
Retired
Worse case scenario, I'll have to upgrade back to an f150. It's only money right? ha ?‍♂
1st post on a hotly debated subject...what the heck. Personally i believe there's a rather narrow gap between what a Ranger can tow safely and efficiently compared to a F150. The "safety" margins discussed here concerning Rangers...when applied to an F150 would eliminate 75% of whats being towed with them. IF, I was looking for a new tow vehicle to replace a Ranger because of tow compatibility....it would be a 3/4 ton chassis.

The TT you listed...WHEN that trailer is connected PROPERLY and weights adhered to, I'd tow it anywhere with my Ranger.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Appraiser
1st post on a hotly debated subject...what the heck. Personally i believe there's a rather narrow gap between what a Ranger can tow safely and efficiently compared to a F150. The "safety" margins discussed here concerning Rangers...when applied to an F150 would eliminate 75% of whats being towed with them. IF, I was looking for a new tow vehicle to replace a Ranger because of tow compatibility....it would be a 3/4 ton chassis.

The TT you listed...WHEN that trailer is connected PROPERLY and weights adhered to, I'd tow it anywhere with my Ranger.
I agree completely. My dad pulled his trailer with a silverado 1500 (same size trailer, but heavier). Recently he upgraded to a 2500 and he said it was the best decision. It pulls it so much better. I've pulled with both the ranger and the new f150, they're both impressive for what they are, but a 3/4 makes life much easier.
Sponsored