Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry Phil you have no clue what you are talking about. Based on your credentials I would expect more. You post is very off base.....we all know Negro Modelo is the best choice :)

Cheers
Hi OC,

I like Negro Modelo as well...same brewery. Back story,

In the middle of Baja at the Baja 1000... Things are not going well, but it was early...our front runners are having problems, It is dry and dusty I am tired and frustrated. It is becoming dark and I ditch my Ford attire as I cannot be caught on camera with a beer in hand, but there is no beer in the middle of the desert where we are, but my hospitality folks, Dave C and Sand C. are there and I am sitting under their Motorhome awning. Sandy comes up to me and asks if I am ready for a beer...I said You Bet! She brings out this brown bottle of a beer I have never heard of, Pacifico. It was nectar of the gods! And from that day forward, it has been my beer of choice. This is some 35 years ago...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Hi OC,

In the middle of Baja at the Baja 1000... Things are not going well, but it was early...our front runners are having problems, It is dry and dusty I am tired and frustrated. It is becoming dark and I ditch my Ford attire as I cannot be caught on camera with a beer in hand, but there is no beer in the middle of the desert where we are, but my hospitality folks, Dave C and Sand C. are there and I am sitting under their Motorhome awning. Sandy comes up to me and asks if I am ready for a beer...I said You Bet! She brings out this brown bottle of a beer I have never heard of, Pacifico. It was nectar of the gods! And from that day forward, it has been my beer of choice. This is some 35 years ago...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
:beer:

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
MISSISSIPPIMUDIMG_20200120_103552156.jpg

Hi OC,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Mississippi Mud , never tried Pacifico but will soon, always have the Negra Modelo at our local Mexican restaurant, love the backstories Phil, keep them coming, maybe someone should start a thread " Phil's Back Stories."

Craig MacKay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
...Here is what I’ve learned.

1. Do not believe a car salesman or rv salesman about what you can tow. EVER.
2. I would not consider a trailer weighing much more than 50% of tow rating. Safety and vehicle durability prime considerations.
3. You are probably considering a unit larger than you really need (perhaps a wifely influence).
Shorter and lighter is preferable and safer in this case. And you will have more cushion for people and stuff.
4. I would look for something in the 7’ wide range and 18’-20’ long.
5. Trailers with 2 axles track better but weigh more.
6. A careful study of manufacturers tow ratings will prove this out. Look at things like trailer frontal area and steep grades in mountains, weight of passengers, tools, topper, hitch etc.
Let's not neglect payload everyone. If you are at max trailer weight, then you are in theory at 750 lbs of tongue weight, not including your hitch weight, two passengers and gear. That eats up the 1580 lbs of payload really quick.

An example of a 4000 lb trailer:

Max Payload 1580
Driver 200
Passenger 200
Hitch/Stabilizer 80
Tongue Weight 400
Gear in Truck 200
Remaining: 500

I just wanted to throw that out there...

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
MISSISSIPPIMUDIMG_20200120_103552156.jpg

Mississippi Mud , never tried Pacifico but will soon, always have the Negra Modelo at our local Mexican restaurant, love the backstories Phil, keep them coming, maybe someone should start a thread " Phil's Back Stories."
Black and tans can be great or they can make you pucker like a sucker fish...Too bad I love dark beer, gout is a powerful incentive to not over embibe

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
I have a micro minnie 2108ds and love it. I also like the minnie drops. They both tend to be lighter weight but are still built extremely well. And they are 7-7.5 ft wide and easy to see around. Tow weigh on mine loaded is around 4000lb and I have no issues. Don't get something too heavy or too long - you will regret it.

I have also had a few jaycos but they tend to be longer, have less payload capacity in the trailor and are built cheap.

Michael360wa

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
AMT
Vehicle Showcase
We're going to the Chicago RV show next month looking to buy a travel trailer to pull behind the Ranger. Looking to stay under 5000 GVWR so we have leeway to haul a bunch of gear. Like something around 18-22'. Any suggestions?
I purchased a Micro-Minnie 1706FB and have had no problems. Small, lite, dual axle, well equipped. I have pulled it through several mountain passes with no issues. It is a good size for my wife and I.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
So a few recommendations from someone that is towing too big of a trailer.. definitely don’t go over 22’ and stay under 5000 lbs dry. Our trailer is 5800 dry and 7550 gvwr. 23’ Completely stock it towed the trailer “ok” with weight distribution bars and cooper 10 ply tires it helped a ton. Although towing still isn’t enjoyable. It’s just too big of a trailer for the truck. We’re temporarily living in this Forest River Evo so we don’t regret getting it but I think we will end up downsizing once we get a house and want a trailer for camping and traveling.

D055781F-A25A-4532-A71A-D4988DE8CF67.jpeg

81D27580-6BAE-4163-96B7-353901A1F85B.jpeg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
So a few recommendations from someone that is towing too big of a trailer.. definitely don’t go over 22’ and stay under 5000 lbs dry. Our trailer is 5800 dry and 7550 gvwr. 23’ Completely stock it towed the trailer “ok” with weight distribution bars and cooper 10 ply tires it helped a ton. Although towing still isn’t enjoyable. It’s just too big of a trailer for the truck. We’re temporarily living in this Forest River Evo so we don’t regret getting it but I think we will end up downsizing once we get a house and want a trailer for camping and traveling.

Wow...that looks like an ant dragging a mailbox LOL...pretty awesome...

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Wow...that looks like an ant dragging a mailbox LOL...pretty awesome...
Haha ya it does it but I’d be real concerned if there was much wind. Trucks passing blow you around a bit lol

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I went online and read a lot of reviews of Rockwood / Forest River RVs. 1 in 10 were positive. Quality / workmanship issues with little factory warranty support. This seems to be systemic in the industry. It's getting very hard to find a quality-made trailer without spending a ton of money.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I went online and read a lot of reviews of Rockwood / Forest River RVs. 1 in 10 were positive. Quality / workmanship issues with little factory warranty support. This seems to be systemic in the industry. It's getting very hard to find a quality-made trailer without spending a ton of money.
Huh we love our Forest River and have lived in it for the last 5 months. No issues

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
We haven't pulled our 16' Scamp with the Ranger yet, just waiting to put 1,000 miles on the truck first. The Scamps tow pretty easily, and seem to be fairly aerodynamic on the front end. I have towed ours with a Subaru Outback and other tow vehicles with much less rated capacity than the Ranger so I expect easy towing with the Ranger. (Ours is 3' longer than Floyd's Scamp) :)
Escape Trailer Industries has larger fiberglass campers (17', 19', and 21', plus a fifth wheel) that are also molded fiberglass and relatively lightweight, and although made in Canada, the exchange rate is like getting a 25% discount off the Canadian price (if you're in the USA).

Ranger Scamp.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I have a 22' Forrest River Wildwood 207bh. Honestly I wish I had gone one size bigger (because 2 axles are better than one). It's only 3500# dry, and it tows like it's not even there with a good WD EZ-Hitch.

I've put around 2000 miles on it since it was new, and all but 300 or so were with the Ranger bone stock.

The Ranger does need some help firming up the rear though, I think the tires are spongy and the springs are undersized relying too heavily on the "Active bumpstops"

Be glad you went a bit bigger than you needed/wanted. I'll be in the market in 2 years or less at the rate my boys are growing... The Ranger in my situation will tow something like you have no problem because we mostly stay in the state of Michigan.

The angle of the picture makes it look much larger than it really is as I have a 22' (8'6" wide) trailer which looks much shorter than yours.

Deleted member 1634

Probably not the type of thing you're looking for, based on your line of questioning, but figured I'd throw it out there anyways since everyone else was sharing pictures. haha Ours is more made for overlanding and rustic/primitive places, which is what we love to do. 1200lbs dry. Got it up around 1800lbs on our week long trip pictured here.

IMG_20190816_092151026_HDR.jpg
Sponsored