What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I use what's readily available, synthetic, and the correct weight. Mobil 1 usually fits that bill. Vehicles are junk by 150-200k anyway, mainly due to rust where I am. Hell, dino oil will get you that far.
...Just me being realistic.

My used 200k mile beaters ive had Id just run the cheap crap because who cares and I knew the previous owner just wheeled it into the local shop where dumped whatever bulk barrel they had that was the correct weight.

I laugh at the "amsoil only" brothers because it always seems like they trade it in at 30k miles anyway. They woulda been better off not droppin $100 a oil change if they were only going to keep it for a couple years. ? Whatever, man. Your truck your money.
Or should I say, it used to be your money. ??
Sponsored

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Use any decent brand name synthetic, and change it regularly. Who am I kidding, I will likely sell this beast in 5-6 years anyways.

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Chili Pepper Red
Occupation
Chef
What era the advantages of full synthetic. These vehicles come with semi. Long term studies. Trade off in fuel economy cost.

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Chili Pepper Red
Occupation
Chef
I don’t do my own oil changes any more. The hassle of disposing with the oil. Who does aamsoill changes in the dubuque Iowa market

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Is there a list of approved oils from Ford? All I see online is the weight, and a few comments on here that Amsoil is not approved.

My Ranger is my first new truck, I always bought used so am new to warranty woes. It seems like if I stick to any Mobile1 in 5W-30 and Motorcraft filters I should be fine?

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My Ranger is my first new truck, I always bought used so am new to warranty woes. It seems like if I stick to any Mobile1 in 5W-30 and Motorcraft filters I should be fine?
That should be fine. Motorcraft filters are a good plan. My local walmart carries them too.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That should be fine. Motorcraft filters are a good plan. My local walmart carries them too.
Yeah they are pretty cheap too. I have 4 on order, along with the wheelwell plugs/tool, Fumoto valve, 3 Jaw lisle wrench. Glad I read through the oil change threads ahead of time.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Is there a list of approved oils from Ford? All I see online is the weight, and a few comments on here that Amsoil is not approved.

Amsoil is approved by Ford should that be your choice. There is the odd dealership that stocks it. The OE and XL lines have the paid for API stamps on them.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amsoil is approved by Ford should that be your choice. There is the odd dealership that stocks it. The OE and XL lines have the paid for API stamps on them.
So it comes down to whether is has the API stamp? I ran Amsoil in my bikes but cost was nil since they only took from 1.4 to 1.8 quarts (250/450cc).

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
So it comes down to whether is has the API stamp? I ran Amsoil in my bikes but cost was nil since they only took from 1.4 to 1.8 quarts (250/450cc).
For some it does. Some companies will shell out big bucks to have the stamp put on all there products and some will save the huge expense for that stamp. Same with myself, I run it in my Harley, 07 Mazda3, 2014 Subaru since they were new. There are quite a few warranty approved quick lubes that carry it as well.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Been playin with oils for the last 50 years. Way back there were no synthetic’s of any kind. Straight motor oil with detergent additives. They were not known for stability and often would break down from extreme operational conditions. Today’s synthetic’s have mastered that breakdown problem. Not all are the same though. Some thin out excessively under towing or heavy turbo use. Personally I started using Amsoil decades ago. My last Ranger a ‘97’ with a 3.0 made it to 287K before the frame rotted out. I replaced the heads, timing chain and lifters at about 180K. When the heads came off my buddy commented how the piston sleeves all still had uniform cross hatching from the factory hone done. All six were identical so compression was excellent. The reason heads got replaced were from slight warpage from a half dead water pump and the recessed valves. That was a known problem! So, if it worked as well as it did with my last one makes reason to continue to do the same with the new one. Not sure about their transmission fluids though. Got to look into that some more. Some Fords they won’t touch. The Focus was one of them with the dual plate trannys. Ours is a cone configuration if I heard right.

Lastly:
Another tip is to let your turbo vehicle idle for a minute or two after driving.

The circulating oil will cool the turbo properly and reduce formation of performance-robbing deposits.

Good read from Amsoil:https://blog.amsoil.com/how-turboch...C_January_Newsletter_2021&utm_content=ctalink

Last edited:

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Been playin with oils for the last 50 years. Way back there were no synthetic’s of any kind. Straight motor oil with detergent additives. They were not known for stability and often would break down from extreme operational conditions. Today’s synthetic’s have mastered that breakdown problem. Not all are the same though. Some thin out excessively under towing or heavy turbo use. Personally I started using Amsoil decades ago. My last Ranger a ‘97’ with a 3.0 made it to 287K before the frame rotted out. I replaced the heads, timing chain and lifters at about 180K. When the heads came off my buddy commented how the piston sleeves all still had uniform cross hatching from the factory hone done. All six were identical so compression was excellent. The reason heads got replaced were from slight warpage from a half dead water pump and the recessed valves. That was a known problem! So, if it worked as well as it did with my last one makes reason to continue to do the same with the new one. Not sure about their transmission fluids though. Got to look into that some more. Some Fords they won’t touch. The Focus was one of them with the dual plate trannys. Ours is a cone configuration if I heard right.

Lastly:
Another tip is to let your turbo vehicle idle for a minute or two after driving.

The circulating oil will cool the turbo properly and reduce formation of performance-robbing deposits.

Good read from Amsoil:https://blog.amsoil.com/how-turboch...C_January_Newsletter_2021&utm_content=ctalink
There is no better salesman than a satisfied customer. Thank you for your feedback.
Brian

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Lastly:

More Amsoil propaganda.

It's not an oil that's certified for use by Ford with their 2.3 liter Ecoboost motors.

Proceed at your own risk 5G Ranger owners.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
More Amsoil propaganda.

It's not an oil that's certified for use by Ford with their 2.3 liter Ecoboost motors.

Proceed at your own risk 5G Ranger owners.
Couldn’t agree more.
Sponsored