What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT, Ford Performance, Winter-Beaters
Will be sticking with this combination for every change.

20191027_150242.jpg
If you can time it right....typically a "Spring & Fall" rebate special but for 2019 it was a 6-month special.
$12 cash back rebate for any Mobil-1 Synthetic OR $17 when you include their Mobil-1 oil filter.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions

Typically Wally-World is the cheapest & I stock up with both the oil and filter... This year was able to do four jugs & four filters.

Got $68 back!

But for now, If you have a Meijer nearby [Great-Lakes Region]-

It's $22.99 a jug until 12/28/19

https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/search/?text=mobil+5w30
Sponsored

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
Amsoil's recommendation is the 5w-30 I linked above.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
If you can time it right....typically a "Spring & Fall" rebate special but for 2019 it was a 6-month special.
$12 cash back rebate for any Mobil-1 Synthetic OR $17 when you include their Mobil-1 oil filter.

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions

Typically Wally-World is the cheapest & I stock up with both the oil and filter... This year was able to do four jugs & four filters.

Got $68 back!

But for now, If you have a Meijer nearby [Great-Lakes Region]-

It's $22.99 a jug until 12/28/19

https://www.meijer.com/shop/en/search/?text=mobil+5w30
That's when I got $10 rebate. Making it $16 for a jug. Walmart is my go to with oil. Unfortetly all the filter brands they carry are garbage. After spending hours watching oil filter comparisons there are some I would definitely never buy.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Another option for filters anyway is rockauto.com. I just purchased 4 FL-910s filters for 3.38 a piece. Both the Ranger and our C-Max take the same filter so I'm good for a bit. They were $6.99 at the local O'Reilly Auto. So about half price, even after including shipping.

I won't shop at Wally World, but still looking for a good place for oil. O'Reilly isn't too bad when you catch stuff on sale.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Another option for filters anyway is rockauto.com. I just purchased 4 FL-910s filters for 3.38 a piece. Both the Ranger and our C-Max take the same filter so I'm good for a bit. They were $6.99 at the local O'Reilly Auto. So about half price, even after including shipping.

I won't shop at Wally World, but still looking for a good place for oil. O'Reilly isn't too bad when you catch stuff on sale.

Hi Rob,

How about this?
KirklandSynthetic.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

How about this?
KirklandSynthetic.jpg
Hmmm, not seen that at the local costco, wonder if it is online only? And I wonder how it compares with the Ford blend and the Mobile 1 oils?

Time to do some research.....

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that's a first for me...

Never seen a Costco version oil on the shelves @ my local Costco.

I checked the website, that must have been recent. I was shopping Costco online last month for all their Black-Friday deals & didn't see this oil type.

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that's a first for me...

Never seen a Costco version oil on the shelves @ my local Costco.

I checked the website, that must have been recent. I was shopping Costco online last month for all their Black-Friday deals & didn't see this oil type.
Definitely going to get some & will probably go 50/50 with Mobil-One...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, the Kirkland oil is not reviewed on this site:

https://pqia.org/passenger-car-motor-oil/

I wonder who makes it? Kirkland stuff is of generally very good quality, although I've had a few instances where I really didn't like the stuff under the Kirkland brand.

svache

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew Saber, 2012 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
Go to the Mobil 1 site.... even they don't recommend Mobil 1 Silver label for our trucks. They recommend Mobil 1 Annual Protection. It's better for our direct injected turbo charged engines.

https://mobiloil.com/en/product-selector
Actually, when following that link and entering my truck's details, the oil mentioned by @Desert_5G is in the list of recommended oils. It's not the top listed recommendation, but it is still recommended or it wouldn't show up at all.

Edit: and what I find interesting is that his oil has a higher rating given by customers.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Actually, when following that link and entering my truck's details, the oil mentioned by @Desert_5G is in the list of recommended oils. It's not the top listed recommendation, but it is still recommended or it wouldn't show up at all.

Edit: and what I find interesting is that his oil has a higher rating given by customers.
I've used Silver label Mobil 1 for over 20 years. Still use it in our Jeep and my '27 Ford that has a 5.0 HO roller cam motor.

But for our Rangers (that have a turbocharger and direct injection) it isn't the best of the Mobil 1 lineup.

Look at the bullet points below... Mobil 1 SIlver Label is not nearly as good as Mobil 1 Annual Protection when it comes to Preventing Oil Breakdown, Turbocharger Protection and Protecting in High Engine Temperatures.

As for customer ratings: The issue here is many folks just use what they have always used. Engine designs change, technology changes.

Mobil 1 Comparisons.jpg

4rd SVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's bottom tier stuff,

I'll just use the Kirkland stuff for pre-lubing the internals of the oil filter & use as the additional quart or two to reach the "oil-full" line on the dipstick.

That way when I open the 5-qt/gallon jug of Mobil-One, it goes empty versus having to open a second one... done & done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The difference with me is I only go 5,000 miles on my oil changes, that's using FULL-Synthetic; I do NOT use or rely on the "dumby" switch/dash telling me it's time.
I do make sure I reset the oil-life thru the dash every time I finish though... simple. On my Ranger, I'm waiting till it hits the 1,000 mile mark & it will get it's FIRST oil change here in my driveway.

For example:
One of my winter-beaters, 01 Ford Explorer Sport 2-door 4x4, will barely go 4,000 miles on the high-mileage synthetic stuff. I can tell by the morning start-ups & the way it drives when old-girl is telling me "it's time".

Since it's a "roll-of-the-dice" with her [Exp Sport], and Ford actually offering deals that got my attention to check. I decided now is a good time to have a replacement "just-in-case"....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not concerned with oil's break-down or viscosity issues-
Besides if it's one of my "hot-rods" that gets stored [Like Now]: When each one comes out-of-hibernation, automatically goes up on ramps & gets changed out.

Cheap insurance... yeah I use a-lot of oil but that's life when my garage is full of hot-rods...

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I wonder who makes it? Kirkland stuff is of generally very good quality, although I've had a few instances where I really didn't like the stuff under the Kirkland brand.
Hi Rob,

Exactly why I ordered the Kirkland Oil....I only have 1000 miles on the truck, being purchased in March... Our vehicles here in GV are mostly hanger queens...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Kirkland is made by Warren. brand.the same company blends Supertech and AmazonBasics oil.

http://www.warrenoil.com/

WARREN® SYNTHETIC BLEND 5W-30 GF-5 MOTOR OIL
SYNTHETIC%20BLEND%205W-30%20GF-5%20MOTOR%20OIL.png

WARREN® Synthetic Blend 5W-30 GF-5 Motor Oil is a premium-quality, high detergent automotive engine oil specially formulated to meet the stringent lubrication requirements of today’s engines. High viscosity index Group II and Group III base oils combine with a carefully selected additive package to provide maximum protection against wear, rust, corrosion, oxidative thickening, acid formation, sludge and varnish deposits. Warren Synthetic Blend 5W-30 GF-5 Motor Oil meets or exceeds the requirements of GM 6094M, Ford WSS-M2C946-A, and Chrysler MS-6395. Meets Toyota Specifications, and Honda Service Fill Specifications. Meets or exceeds API Service Category SN, SM, SL, or SJ and comply with ILSAC GF-5 requirements.
Sponsored