What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Kirkland is made by Warren. brand.the same company blends Supertech and AmazonBasics oil.

http://www.warrenoil.com/

WARREN® SYNTHETIC BLEND 5W-30 GF-5 MOTOR OIL
SYNTHETIC%20BLEND%205W-30%20GF-5%20MOTOR%20OIL.png

WARREN® Synthetic Blend 5W-30 GF-5 Motor Oil is a premium-quality, high detergent automotive engine oil specially formulated to meet the stringent lubrication requirements of today’s engines. High viscosity index Group II and Group III base oils combine with a carefully selected additive package to provide maximum protection against wear, rust, corrosion, oxidative thickening, acid formation, sludge and varnish deposits. Warren Synthetic Blend 5W-30 GF-5 Motor Oil meets or exceeds the requirements of GM 6094M, Ford WSS-M2C946-A, and Chrysler MS-6395. Meets Toyota Specifications, and Honda Service Fill Specifications. Meets or exceeds API Service Category SN, SM, SL, or SJ and comply with ILSAC GF-5 requirements.
Warren Synthetic Blend 5W-30.... Noack 12.8%.... http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/warrenoil.htm

Mobil 1 Annual protection .... Noack 8.5%... http://pqiadata.org/Mobil1_5W20.html

Why use an inferior oil? Mobil 1 Annual Protection is the better choice.
Sponsored

MagneticXlt

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 Supercab FX4 XLT
I don’t want to get into a remarkably long debate but curious what you guys will be running. For the last decade I’ve run a Mobil1 Full Sythetic in my vehicles. At the 6,000mi interval I change the oil, I haven’t found sludge or anything to suggest the oil had broken down enough to harm my engines. I used to run the Motorcraft parasynthetic oil but it required a shorter change interval (I found it to be 4,000mi or less). And with these Ecoboost engines there has been great debate regarding the best oil; regarding fuel blowing past the piston rings into the crankcase, diluting non-synthetic oil, and the fuel/oil/air mix finding its way back up the crankcase breather tube, into the air intake, and baking onto the intake valves closest to where this recycled air enters the air intake.

Eventually there will be many options for air/oil separators (aka “oil catch cans”) for the Ranger, but in the meantime I’d like to run a synthetic that will reduce the deposits being left on my valves.
$30 some bucks for the best filter & great oil, hard to go wrong.
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV & a
FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter, XG3614
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-truck-and-suv
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-Truck-SUV-5W-30-5Qt/108197437

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Warren Synthetic Blend 5W-30.... Noack 12.8%.... http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/warrenoil.htm

Mobil 1 Annual protection .... Noack 8.5%... http://pqiadata.org/Mobil1_5W20.html

Why use an inferior oil? Mobil 1 Annual Protection is the better choice.
LOL I wasn't going to use that oil.... that's just the company that makes Costco's oil and a few other "OEM" brands. some asked about who makes their oil

I'll give it to the dealer to do one every 10,000 and I'll do my own every 5,000
I'll be using mobile one annual oil

Last edited:

MagneticXlt

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 Supercab FX4 XLT
oh it can totally go wrong. you might want to reconsider FRAM. watch any side by side video on them. Ask any car guy. A real car guy. Don't buy fram if you care about your ride.
You have no clue, just going off some info you read in some forum years ago. The FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil filter is one of top filters you can buy right now period. The top for the money, no one is close! Not Champion Mobil 1 junk for sure. I'll be sure to check your posts next time I'm doing an oil change or building another engine for your great wisdom though. Thanx.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I'll stick with wix or hastings filters. Fram and purolator had issues years ago with paper element coming apart and clogging oil passages. Buy the filter of your choice and enjoy your new Ranger

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I use the oem filter... and buy it at the dealership, at least until the truck is out of warranty.

Since I do my own oil changes that way I have receipts that can be cross checked against number of oil changes. :fingerscrossed:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll stick with wix or hastings filters. Fram and purolator had issues years ago with paper element coming apart and clogging oil passages. Buy the filter of your choice and enjoy your new Ranger
Same here. Although I'm using a Wix oil filter. I would never use Fram. Mostly because of their history of failures which ultimately led to don't use Fram filters. Although I use Wix I would not hesitate to use a Fram filter for at least 5000 miles if nothing else was available

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
You have no clue, just going off some info you read in some forum years ago. The FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil filter is one of top filters you can buy right now period. The top for the money, no one is close! Not Champion Mobil 1 junk for sure. I'll be sure to check your posts next time I'm doing an oil change or building another engine for your great wisdom though. Thanx.

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Only Mobil 1. Btw, the semi and full synthetic from Ford is Mobil 1. At least that's what my factory fill was on my Fusion Sport.
I've never heard in all my yrs owning Ford trucks that Motorcraft brand oils were made by Mobil 1. Always heard it was the maker of the Kendall oil brand? Altho vendors do change ..& Ford is long known for having excellent specs on there in -house branded motor oils ..as well as filters! I've been happily running Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 SN+ GF5 rated "full synthetic" in my new Ranger w/Bosch premium or Motorcraft filters only. Have done 2 oil changes in 6k mis for good break- in purposes. 1st oil change @1500mis. The 2.3L absolutely purrrs. Only run 89-93 octane fuel as well. Love the truck thus far!

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Same here. Although I'm using a Wix oil filter. I would never use Fram. Mostly because of their history of failures which ultimately led to don't use Fram filters. Although I use Wix I would not hesitate to use a Fram filter for at least 5000 miles if nothing else was available
Never ever use any Fram filter products ! I mean why chance it with so many other good choices? Bosch, Motorcraft, WIX, Mobil 1, Purolator Boss all top picks..an will safely go for 5k + mis esp Mobil 1 & Purolater Boss filters. I only use full synthetic SN+ oil & above mentioned filters changed @ 5k mis max. Got 6k mis on my new Ranger & have done 2 oil changes for good break- in etc. Now on be 5k mi intervals no more , no less! Highly recommend Pennzoil Platinum SN+ 5w30 after doing oil analysis thru the yrs. Choose ur oil wisely.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just had a dealer change with Motorcraft full synthetic.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Never ever use any Fram filter products ! I mean why chance it with so many other good choices? Bosch, Motorcraft, WIX, Mobil 1, Purolator Boss all top picks..an will safely go for 5k + mis esp Mobil 1 & Purolater Boss filters. I only use full synthetic SN+ oil & above mentioned filters changed @ 5k mis max. Got 6k mis on my new Ranger & have done 2 oil changes for good break- in etc. Now on be 5k mi intervals no more , no less! Highly recommend Pennzoil Platinum SN+ 5w30 after doing oil analysis thru the yrs. Choose ur oil wisely.

Agreed, posted the video above to show their "general" quality. 3 wrongs don't mean you should be praised for 1 right.

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to see some UOA on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I would consider this oil maybe for my 3rd change; just as much as M1. I've ran it in the past with good oil anysis results back along with good reviews. But I have a extra quart of M1 and don't want to waste it.

RangerJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
I use whatever the dealer puts in :thumbsup:
Same... I'd pretend like I care and that I'll keep my truck for 100k miles, but I probably wont... I'm always changing out my vehicles, its a curse.
Sponsored