What is everyone paying for their 5th Gen Ranger?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I find it funny that you guys are idolizing a 500-750 rebate when your talking 30K+ dollars.
When someone is offering free money I'll take it no matter what the amount is. But I'm also cheap frugal. ?
Sponsored

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
I'm looking for a Lariat with several options, like 501A, FX4 Off-Road, Trailer Tow and Running Boards. I've found a few that also include the Sports and 18" Alum Rim pkg's. Dealer is asking invoice minus rebate/s on all. If it's been on their lot over 60 days, it $3k, or $2,250 if less. Basically, MSRP's a little above $46k for $41k something, depending on age. This seems like a no-brainer. Is this normal? Their acting like there's going to be a shortage soon, but there is not now.

I'm going to choose one today or tomorrow. I know not to purchase any dealer pocket lining add-ons. :)

Skoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
I'm looking for a Lariat with several options, like 501A, FX4 Off-Road, Trailer Tow and Running Boards. I've found a few that also include the Sports and 18" Alum Rim pkg's. Dealer is asking invoice minus rebate/s on all. If it's been on their lot over 60 days, it $3k, or $2,250 if less. Basically, MSRP's a little above $46k for $41k something, depending on age. This seems like a no-brainer. Is this normal? Their acting like there's going to be a shortage soon, but there is not now.

I'm going to choose one today or tomorrow. I know not to purchase any dealer pocket lining add-ons. :)
I put off buying for months while I watched prices. Invoice price and Ford rebates/incentives is about as good as it gets on a new 2021 non-demo. Even the 2020's sitting around my area late last year weren't discounted more than that.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
I paid $35,399 after all discounts and incentives were applied.

9D062802-F7FC-4F8B-AA41-ACB4F22ED2DF.jpeg

leadtheway

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No

That seems ok, but nothing to write home about. That's about 10% off MSRP which is standard. There's always a shortage or some other reason why you should have to pay more. "Due to covid we close earlier", "due to covid our prices have increased", funny how the people saying these things always seem to be coming out ahead while the rest of us have to pick up the tab. There have been "Ranger shortages" for the past three years since it was reintroduced, yet somehow every Ford dealer still happens to have a handful of them sitting on the lot for a while. Funny how that works out, isn't it?

I stopped listening to all the "reasons" (or more accurately, excuses) why I should be shafted. Figure out what is a fair price and offer that. If they hit you with "shortages", "covid", "inflation", "the economy", whatever, then just leave. If you do your homework, you'll get a fair price or you'll buy from someone else who wants the sale more. If not, then you'll over pay or fail to make a deal.

I wouldn't pay more than .9x(whatever the sticker price is) out the door. "Oh but sir the doc fee is $799 and we absolutely CAN'T waive that", "oh but sir the administrative fee is $349", "oh but sir the fee fee is 86 dollars". Nah. I'll bring you a check for 41k. Yes or no? The end. Let them say no. If 5 other dealers all say no as well, then you can re-evaluate and maybe your offer was indeed a little low. I'd rather be turned down a handful of times and then up my offer, than over pay. I'm not going to explode if I don't get a new truck this week.

I just bought a subaru (for the old lady) and it was the easiest thing in the world. We asked about the "top secret costco price" and it was like...... 2% off sticker? Or something incredibly lame like Ford's "super rare secret X plan pricing". The sales guy was like "oh no you can't take this sheet if it gets out we're in trouble". I just rolled my eyes. We left, talked about it, and after a while, she ended up texting him saying "I'll pay 29.2" and he was just said "deal". The sticker was about 33 (I think 32.8 or 32.9?). So that's about 12% off MSRP and that's not even including taxes and fees since it was 29.2 otd. Of course, we live in SC where the sales tax is capped at 500 bucks, so if you live in a 6% commie state where your tax is 2500 bucks, well... I guess you're out of luck.

She got the color she wanted brought over from another dealership and ended up getting almost 15% off (if you include tax and fees) and barely had to talk to the guy. I've got the papers if anyone feels the need to see it but it was so easy, I don't see why it would be hard to believe. As for the Costco pricing or any other "super secret club special VIP pricing" plan, if literally anyone can walk into Costco, pay 50 dollars and then say "give me the Costco price", how good a deal could it REALLY be? Come on. Use your heads. To add to that, we weren't even asked to show the Costco card. To me, the Ford plans look the same. Basically only good if you're a sucker who would otherwise pay sticker price. Sure, I'll take a thousand off with no effort. Don't pretend like it's some great deal, though.

I don't recommend playing the sales person game. Offer a price for the vehicle. That's it. Don't negotiate payments, financing, options, don't try to say "oh well if you give me X interest rate, then I'll pay more there". It's just a shell game and they are the masters. They do this for a living. Like the quote from War Games "The only winning move is not to play". I told this to a buddy of mine who bought a $65,000 truck. He was so psyched that he "got what he wanted on his junker trade in". He got 2k more than it was worth! Yeah, except he paid 53k for the truck. And gave them a 10k vehicle. So his "2k extra" is really a net loss of 7 grand (because they are 56k straight up on auto trader or whatever). Don't quote me on those exact numbers because this was a year or two ago but the gist is the same.

If they say they'll give you 12 for your car worth 10, then say deal and take the 12 and leave. Then come back and barter for the truck if you want. But if the "extra 2" is contingent on you over paying for a hugely over priced vehicle, you're not really getting "an extra 2" but losing a lot. If they won't give you the 12 straight up then they aren't really offering you the 12. This seems so obvious to me but after reading 64 pages of this and still seeing people talking up a $500 rebate, it really doesn't seem to be commonly believed.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Cheers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
2021 Lariat, 501A, Tow Package, Tremor,
Early March Ford website showed vehicle at dealership. I went in but it had not arrived yet. Sales guy gave me costco pricing at $300 over invoice and available rebates. I accepted.
Dealership management was not happy about the discount when the vehicle arrived.
Other dealers wanted Full MSRP & rebates.
Seems they would discount XL's & XLT's but not Lariats.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
As for the Costco pricing or any other "super secret club special VIP pricing" plan, if literally anyone can walk into Costco, pay 50 dollars and then say "give me the Costco price", how good a deal could it REALLY be? Come on. Use your heads. To add to that, we weren't even asked to show the Costco card. To me, the Ford plans look the same.
Another data point. When I was researching, the X-Plan pricing and the Costco pricing were almost the same. For an XLT the Costco price was about $75 cheaper, for a Lariat the X-Plan was about $75 cheaper.

I don't view X-Plan or Costco pricing as some "super secret special VIP pricing" but a very easy way to get a reasonable deal with no haggling. It takes a small amount of work to do, but it is a very easy way to get a reasonable deal on a new vehicle. We purchased our C-Max wihtout X-Plan and they gave us a slightly better deal than X-Plan. So you don't HAVE to have X-Plan to get a good deal - it is just an easy way to do it.

The best new car buying experience I've ever had was still with a Saturn many years ago - we ended up buying two of them over the years. That truly was a no haggle experience - even with a trade in - they gave us a solid trade in on both of our purchases - and the price on the new vehicle was no haggle and a reasonable deal based on competitors at the time.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that YOU are happy with what you paid for your new vehicle. What other people think doesn't really matter.

greypilgrim76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Soul +, 2011 Subaru Outback
Occupation
English Professor
Going to the dealership tomorrow to sign papers on this order:

XLT SuperCrew 4x2
Cactus Gray
302A Package
Trailer Tow Package
Sport Appearance Package
Technology Package
Locking Rear Differential
$35,554.50 OTD

Basically 10% off MSRP and just a hair under X-Plan. Exactly $159 over invoice before incentives (another $2250 off) by my calculations. I'm more than happy with that, given the market in my area. Most dealerships I've talked to are selling at MSRP and asking for invoice is a no-go.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I bought a 2020 lariat supercab Fx4, fully loaded. I was pretty intent on white with tan (stone) interior and found one 3 hours away. I got it for $2700 off MSRP plus $3000 in manufacturers rebates. They wouldn't take a penny less, and I wanted that particular color combo and nothing else was available in a 200 mile radius. OTD price was around $41,300 give or take.

jakelock

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and just getting ready to fly to Boise from Seattle to pick up my 2021 Ranger Lariat. I haven't finalized the deal yet so I thought I'd fly the deal by the group for feedback. MSRP is $40,895. I negotiated a deal, with added Ford OEM running boards, added Ford OEM mudflaps, and Line-X spray in bedliner, for $37,595. That is prior to tax and license but includes all "fees" and dealer crud. Thoughts?

Attachments

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and just getting ready to fly to Boise from Seattle to pick up my 2021 Ranger Lariat. I haven't finalized the deal yet so I thought I'd fly the deal by the group for feedback. MSRP is $40,895. I negotiated a deal, with added Ford OEM running boards, added Ford OEM mudflaps, and Line-X spray in bedliner, for $37,595. That is prior to tax and license but includes all "fees" and dealer crud. Thoughts?

Welcome Jake! That sounds like a really good price considering what Carvana has been paying for used Rangers. Post some pictures up once you get it.
Sponsored