First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I’ve read a few discussions on here about people selling their used cars to Carvana. Just for fun I tried it with my Ranger and they offered me $27,000 for my 19’ XL 4x4 with 30,000 miles. I paid $30,000 out the door for it 2 years ago. Kinda tempting but I do love the truck still so probably won’t take it. Anybody have this same experience? Opinions?

4F828598-EDA3-4E8F-B39A-082EF9CB8296.png
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I do know Carvana was asking new truck prices for used Rangers. Out of curiosity I looked before I ordered mine. Apparently they're still asking premium prices for them.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know that @SubVet got really good money from Carvana last fall. It looks like it depends what area you're in too as they were only going to give me around $23,000 for mine. Kind of tempting if you can get a good offer and want to jump into a new one like the Tremor.

OP
OP
MTB-BRUH

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I do know Carvana was asking new truck prices for used Rangers. Out of curiosity I looked before I ordered mine. Apparently they're still asking premium prices for them.
Weird.. I did stop by our local Ford dealer in Northern Northern CA and they have 4 Rangers on the lot. 2 supercabs and 2 supercrews All Lariats starting at $42,000 ?

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
dealers seem to be paying to top dollar for low mileage, newer year vehicles.

I paid $28,000 for a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew 4x2 Hemi Tradesman. Dealer gave me $29,900 for it on trade towards the ranger.

I got my 2020 Ranger for $27,700 (after all rebates) so I walked away with a nice check.

I never really needed a full size V8 pickup.

OP
OP
MTB-BRUH

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
dealers seem to be paying to top dollar for low mileage, newer year vehicles.

I paid $28,000 for a 2019 Ram 1500 Crew 4x2 Hemi Tradesman. Dealer gave me $29,900 for it on trade towards the ranger.

I got my 2020 Ranger for $27,700 (after all rebates) so I walked away with a nice check.

I never really needed a full size V8 pickup.
Wow that’s crazy

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
Weird.. I did stop by our local Ford dealer in Northern Northern CA and they have 4 Rangers on the lot. 2 supercabs and 2 supercrews All Lariats starting at $42,000 ?
That is INSANE for a compact truck. You can buy a NICE full size F150 for that!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My current offer is significantly more than I paid OTD a year and a half ago.

I have also gotten several emails from dealerships I've dealt with in the past who are wanting to buy my truck.

The chip shortage must be affecting inventories and now there is apparently a rubber shortage looming on the horizon.

I may take them up this time and wait for the Santa Cruz to come out.

I could be perfectly happy driving my Jeep daily, I'd just have to constantly remind myself of the fact it's a Jeep (Just Expect Every Problem)

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Management
My current offer is significantly more than I paid OTD a year and a half ago.

I have also gotten several emails from dealerships I've dealt with in the past who are wanting to buy my truck.

The chip shortage must be affecting inventories and now there is apparently a rubber shortage looming.

I may take them up this time and wait for the Santa Cruz to come out.

I could be perfectly happy driving my Jeep daily, I'd just have to constantly remind myself of the fact it's a Jeep (Just Expect Every Problem)
those are simply a marketing technique to get you back into the dealer to get you to trade. If you are looking to do so, might be worth it now............... But the emails are just a "get you in the dealership" scheme.

OP
OP
MTB-BRUH

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I’m thinking this might be a good time to bail out of my new truck loan and buy a old beater. I really don’t need a newer truck it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I think prices of our trucks is only going to go up.. might have to wait a few more months

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
those are simply a marketing technique to get you back into the dealer to get you to trade. If you are looking to do so, might be worth it now............... But the emails are just a "get you in the dealership" scheme.
Oh, I fully realize that.

But they are offering up to $2k over KBB trade in whether you buy another vehicle or not.

There's not anything else out there right now that I would want more than my Ranger, but fond memories of my Baja Turbo have me thinking a lot about the upcoming Santa Cruz.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Something to take into consideration, (In Tx anyway) you pay taxes on difference in trade in and new vehicle purchase. Example: 30k trade on 40k purchase is 6% of 10k. If sold to someone else the tax is on the full amount so $600 vs $2400.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That is INSANE for a compact truck. You can buy a NICE full size F150 for that!
But then you're defeating the whole purpose of wanting/buying a mid size truck. I drove F150's my whole life but have no need for one now. Plus they're so big now and they won't fit in most garages. The Ranger is the perfect size (for now) and hopefully it doesn't become an F150 anytime soon.

Last edited:

865RangerVol

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger. 2020 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I purchased my XLT Sport 4x4 Super Crew in august 2020 for 32728. Carvana is offering me 36825. So incredibly tempted as I would net 7500+ after payoff. Wife won’t let me. She knows how much I love my vehicle.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’m thinking this might be a good time to bail out of my new truck loan and buy a old beater. I really don’t need a newer truck it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I think prices of our trucks is only going to go up.. might have to wait a few more months
For some this is a great time to sell your vehicles. But just keep in mind if you want to get back into a newer one down the road it could end up costing you a lot more. What looks good now could backfire if prices keep rising? But if/when we have another recession there will most likely be some great deals/rebates. So it's all a game where sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. lol
Sponsored