Carvana is paying big $$

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Dealers are offering that because they anticipate that the market is going to "jump" in price in the near future for new vehicles, dragging the value of used vehicles up with it.
Yes, and of course the other reason for the high offers is their desperation (1) to get vehicles on the lot; or (2) if it's high mileage or poor condition to get it to the auction block and recoup the rewards of the crazy-high used market. I'm sure most folks reading this thread have visited a dealership or two lately and seen the ghost town that is their new inventory lot.

It's the wildest sellers market ever. Don't expect a deal on a new truck from a dealership unless it's a weird color or unpopular configuration. They simply don't have any hope for incoming vehicles to replace the empty spot on their lot. They'll hold out and sell to the highest bidder.
Sponsored

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter
That would be a reasonable assumption if you weren’t planning on replacing it immediately.
Yes. I'm planning of driving my other car for the time being until if/when the market settles back down.

IngotTexasRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of weirded out about the carvana offers... I did a quote on mine for shits and gigs (2019 XLT 2WD cloth seats no ACC or sliding glass and 12k miles) and got a quote for over 32k welll over what I paid for it brand new. Then my old roommate got a quote on his (2019 XLT fully optioned katzkin leather interior FX4 6" lift on 35in Nittos from the dealer with maybe 18Kish miles) for only 29k... What gives? No way a dealer installed lift and 6k more miles can reflect that much lower of a quote on a 2wd vs FX4...

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter
Kind of weirded out about the carvana offers... I did a quote on mine for shits and gigs (2019 XLT 2WD cloth seats no ACC or sliding glass and 12k miles) and got a quote for over 32k welll over what I paid for it brand new. Then my old roommate got a quote on his (2019 XLT fully optioned katzkin leather interior FX4 6" lift on 35in Nittos from the dealer with maybe 18Kish miles) for only 29k... What gives? No way a dealer installed lift and 6k more miles can reflect that much lower of a quote on a 2wd vs FX4...
Mods ALWAYS take a toll on resale, I would think especially in today's market where dealers are looking to buy up "like new" vehicles. You should tell him to run it again, but this time select no mods and see what the difference is.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Mods ALWAYS take a toll on resale, I would think especially in today's market where dealers are looking to buy up "like new" vehicles. You should tell him to run it again, but this time select no mods and see what the difference is.
I am wondering the price they gave for the modded one is lower because they won’t end up selling on carvana Directly and will just wholesale it or auction it.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Looks like prices are now going down.

My Carvana offer is down $2k, Carmax is down $1.5k, and Vroom is down a bit under $1k.

Part of the reason is that I've crossed the "magical" 10k miles mark.

Values dropped by around $300 across the board once the truck was over 10k miles.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Interesting....I just drove by the huge Carvana center near me this morning an the lots looked pretty full again.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I've been checking every Monday for awhile now. I've probably added 7k miles in this time as well.

Max offer was June 1st for $3,887
Last offer down to $3,223

June21
Payment to you $3,223

June14
Payment to you $3,695

June8
Payment to you $3,834

June1
Payment to you $3,887

May30
Payment to you $3,794

May24
Payment to you $2,598

May17
Payment to you $2,302

May10
Payment to you $2,705

May 3
Payment to you $3,400

Apr29
Payment to you $2,669

Apr22
Payment to you $1,778

RescueMe1060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2021 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Dept. of Public Works
Plugged in my coworkers 2016 2WD Colorado w/ 53k miles today on Carvana and they gave him an offer of $22,500. Which he's going to accept in the next few days. Then he's going down the road to a local chevy dealer and picking up a used 2018 GMC Canyon 4WD w/ 33k miles for 38k.
Update: Coworker sold his 2016 2WD Colorado for 22.5k, and ended up buying a BRAND NEW GMC Canyon AT4 for about $42k. Basically he got his new Canyon for half off, plus upgraded to 4WD and the truck only has 509 miles because he's been driving it like crazy up and down Hwy 1 here in California enjoying life and the new truck smell. He's pushing 60+ and hasn't retired yet and is SO HAPPY!!

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I checked again today (I seem to do it every Monday) and the Vroom offer is now almost $3k more than Carvana.

Driveway is within $200 of Vroom and Carmax is right at $500 below Vroom.

The thought of getting that much cash for my truck has an undeniable appeal, but I would just end up sitting on it as nothing else appeals to me at the moment.
Sponsored