Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Road trip and hit a snow squall.

Hi Steve,

I am not sure I told this back story before... KJRR may determine I told this in another post, but here goes.

I was was asked by my Executive Engineer to develop a 2.0L Ranger as an entry leader vehicle. Using the venerable 2.3L destroked to 2.0L. I did not really want to do this but I needed a paycheck and believed in following my superior's direction. So this 2.0L would have a progressive two barrel carburetor from Asien in Japan. Asien would send an engineer to do the carburetor tuning and the emissions system. An accelerated program. Early development went relatively smoothly and then we headed to cold weather development...This was where we hit major problems. As we headed North out of Dearborn toward our Minnisota test facility in Bemidji MN the trucks, three of these prototypes, we hit drivablility problems and loss of power to the point we would be stranded on the side of the road in sub 0° temps. WTF????? Engines would idle roughly but no power. Pop the hood and look for a possible cause. None of the other engineers, two other engineers including the Japanese engineers could figure this. So I took this approach...what is new to this engine from the 2.3l...Well the Carburetor was one and then there was this EGR transducer (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). I turned to the other folks and told them that the engine was choking on its own exhaust via the EGR system being wide open. I took one of the transduces out of the engine and put it under my coat...it was frozen but my body heat thawed it out after a while and we reinstalled it on the motor and the performance returned...So we had an EGR Transducer icing problem and about 500 miles to go to get to Bemidji. How do we do this? So I hit upon visiting McDonnolds, Burger King etc. We would drive in to the fast food emporium, pull the transducers and plead with the counter help to put them under a heat lamp to thaw them out....then shake the water out of them and reinstall. We usually bought coffee and one Tea... So that is how we made Bemidji MN, by driving between fast food restaurants...

Call back to Japan after this resulted in a total redesign of the EGR system for the 2.0L...

Quite a nightmare in freezing cold...

best,
Phil
Sponsored

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Hi Steve,

I am not sure I told this back story before... KJRR would may determine I told this in another post, but here goes.

I was was asked by my Executive Engineer to develop a 2.0L Ranger as an entry leader vehicle. Using the venerable 2.3L destroked to 2.0L. I did not really want to do this but I needed a paycheck and believed in following my superior's direction. So this 2.0L would have a progressive two barrel carburetor from Asien in Japan. Asien would send an engineer to do the carburetor tuning and the emissions system. An accelerated program. Early development went relatively smoothly and then we headed to cold weather development...This was where we hit major problems. As we headed North out of Dearborn toward our Minnisota test facility in Bemidji MN the trucks, three of these prototypes, we hit drivablility problems and loss of power to the point we would be stranded on the side of the road in sub 0° temps. WTF????? Engines would idle roughly but no power. Pop the hood and look for a possible cause. None of the other engineers, two other engineers including the Japanese engineers could figure this. So I took this approach...what is new to this engine from the 2.3l...Well the Carburetor was one and then there was this EGR transducer (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). I turned to the other folks and told them that the engine was choking on its own exhaust via the EGR system being wide open. I took one of the transduces out of the engine and put it under my coat...it was frozen but my body heat thawed it out after a while and we reinstalled it on the motor and the performance returned...So we had an EGR Transducer icing problem and about 500 miles to go to get to Bemidji. How do we do this? So I hit upon visiting McDonnolds, Burger King etc. We would drive in to the fast food emporium, pull the transducers and plead with the counter help to put them under a heat lamp to thaw them out....then shake the water out of them and reinstall. We usually bought coffee and one Tea... So that is how we made Bemidji MN, but driving between fast food restaurants...

Call back to Japan after this resulted in a total redesign of the EGR system for the 2.0L...

best,
Phil
Been over a year since I updated the list but the story is there now, #205.
P.A. Schilke back stories

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Hi Steve,

I am not sure I told this back story before... KJRR would may determine I told this in another post, but here goes.

I was was asked by my Executive Engineer to develop a 2.0L Ranger as an entry leader vehicle. Using the venerable 2.3L destroked to 2.0L. I did not really want to do this but I needed a paycheck and believed in following my superior's direction. So this 2.0L would have a progressive two barrel carburetor from Asien in Japan. Asien would send an engineer to do the carburetor tuning and the emissions system. An accelerated program. Early development went relatively smoothly and then we headed to cold weather development...This was where we hit major problems. As we headed North out of Dearborn toward our Minnisota test facility in Bemidji MN the trucks, three of these prototypes, we hit drivablility problems and loss of power to the point we would be stranded on the side of the road in sub 0° temps. WTF????? Engines would idle roughly but no power. Pop the hood and look for a possible cause. None of the other engineers, two other engineers including the Japanese engineers could figure this. So I took this approach...what is new to this engine from the 2.3l...Well the Carburetor was one and then there was this EGR transducer (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). I turned to the other folks and told them that the engine was choking on its own exhaust via the EGR system being wide open. I took one of the transduces out of the engine and put it under my coat...it was frozen but my body heat thawed it out after a while and we reinstalled it on the motor and the performance returned...So we had an EGR Transducer icing problem and about 500 miles to go to get to Bemidji. How do we do this? So I hit upon visiting McDonnolds, Burger King etc. We would drive in to the fast food emporium, pull the transducers and plead with the counter help to put them under a heat lamp to thaw them out....then shake the water out of them and reinstall. We usually bought coffee and one Tea... So that is how we made Bemidji MN, but driving between fast food restaurants...

best,
Phil
Phil, sure glad I don't have to do that. This truck has been great in our cold weather!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
Was getting cabin fever. Tweaked my back a week ago and have avoided getting out to help with recovery.

It’s our warmest day of the year so far so I got in the Ranger, shifted to Sport and headed to the Foothills Parkway from Walland to Wears Valley to get some air through the windows and run at some higher RPMs for a little while. This truck is fun to drive!

Thankfully there was very little tourist traffic on this fine Tuesday afternoon.

IMG_4253.jpeg

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Another volunteer Tuesday at the industrial museum in Bethlehem, PA. A call went out for someone with a truck to pick up 2 bathtubs being donated for us to melt down in our cupola demo runs. Hand went up, and Pepper to the rescue. Off to Allentown (cue the Billy Joel song, again). The tubs turned out to be cut in 1/2 and another volunteer was on hand to help me load them. Still heavy, even though cut in half! Thank you Bestep "old man step".
The tubs were cast iron with "Made in the United States of America" cast in, along with "American Standard, Baltimore", and a date code which was "12/1959" and "2/1960". Three guesses what color the enameled tubs were, and the first 2 don't count...yup, pink and faded baby blue. I worried that one of the sharp edges would cut thru the Line-X but everything worked out ok. Strapped them down, used the bed extender and off we go.
Dropped the tubs off at the museum, mission accomplished. Then to do some grinding there, I needed the air compressor started up. It wouldn't start. So bring out the Audew jumper. Showed 100% charge. Turned over the engine but immediately went to Lo charge? WTF. Someone else had a Noco jumper and that started the compressor right up. But it wouldn't keep running when we disconnected it. The ammeter showed not charging. Again, WTF? So I left the Noco hooked up and ran the compressor for almost an hour while I used a pneumatic grinder. Then it ran out of juice and the compressor shut down. Someone said it was a Ford 4 cyl engine? Not an Ecoboost though! Next week's job will be to check the alternator (generator?). And charge up my Audew. Kind of disappointed, needed to use it and it was not 100% like it said.
Pepper is embarrassingly dirty, not normal for her, she needs a bath tomorrow.

20230404_105250.jpg

20230404_110253.jpg

20230404_140138.jpg

20230404_141853.jpg

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Blood test results show improvement...so no cancer in my immediate future....Whew. Poor Margie was so scared it was the beginning of the end... as I thought too...so tonight...a Scotch on the Rocks to celebrate...Doc says no one before had a value go down, only stay the same or up...

We have postponed Tito's wake up as another round of unnormal cold weather is upon us until Thursday.... I did give him a shell rub today...he responded slightly with foot movement but still ZZZZZZZ!

Best,
Phil
Awesome News!!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Another volunteer Tuesday at the industrial museum in Bethlehem, PA. A call went out for someone with a truck to pick up 2 bathtubs being donated for us to melt down in our cupola demo runs. Hand went up, and Pepper to the rescue. Off to Allentown (cue the Billy Joel song, again). The tubs turned out to be cut in 1/2 and another volunteer was on hand to help me load them. Still heavy, even though cut in half! Thank you Bestep "old man step".
The tubs were cast iron with "Made in the United States of America" cast in, along with "American Standard, Baltimore", and a date code which was "12/1959" and "2/1960". Three guesses what color the enameled tubs were, and the first 2 don't count...yup, pink and faded baby blue. I worried that one of the sharp edges would cut thru the Line-X but everything worked out ok. Strapped them down, used the bed extender and off we go.
Dropped the tubs off at the museum, mission accomplished. Then to do some grinding there, I needed the air compressor started up. It wouldn't start. So bring out the Audew jumper. Showed 100% charge. Turned over the engine but immediately went to Lo charge? WTF. Someone else had a Noco jumper and that started the compressor right up. But it wouldn't keep running when we disconnected it. The ammeter showed not charging. Again, WTF? So I left the Noco hooked up and ran the compressor for almost an hour while I used a pneumatic grinder. Then it ran out of juice and the compressor shut down. Someone said it was a Ford 4 cyl engine? Not an Ecoboost though! Next week's job will be to check the alternator (generator?). And charge up my Audew. Kind of disappointed, needed to use it and it was not 100% like it said.
Pepper is embarrassingly dirty, not normal for her, she needs a bath tomorrow.

20230404_105250.jpg

20230404_110253.jpg

20230404_140138.jpg

20230404_141853.jpg
Hi Trevor,

My plumber buddy and I up in Michigan had to remove some old cast iron tubs. We used sledge hammers to shatter the tubs into little pieces...

best,
Phil

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.