repo_13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
You must have maxed out the tow capacity (7,500 lbs.) of the Ranger with that F250 on the twin-axle trailer; how did the Ranger behave with such a heavy tow load?
There was about a 2” sag in the suspension, but it handled it great. The guy that owned the Powerstroke was completely shocked at how well it worked out.

I towed the side by side that was loaded down, bed was loaded down, roof top tent, roof mounted cargo box loaded down, 5 people and 2 dogs, about 1,000 miles and that was a great trip. I was able to tow at highway speed, over take slower traffic no issue at all, and still get over 12-14mpg which isn’t bad considering the weight, heavy foot, constant headwind, and all of the hills.
Sponsored

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
There was about a 2” sag in the suspension, but it handled it great. The guy that owned the Powerstroke was completely shocked at how well it worked out.

I towed the side by side that was loaded down, bed was loaded down, roof top tent, roof mounted cargo box loaded down, 5 people and 2 dogs, about 1,000 miles and that was a great trip. I was able to tow at highway speed, over take slower traffic no issue at all, and still get over 12-14mpg which isn’t bad considering the weight, heavy foot, constant headwind, and all of the hills.
Amazing truck this little Ranger is! Thanks for your comments.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
20191123_134405.jpg
20191123_134434.jpg
Here's a load I pulled 2 days ago. Only went about 10 miles, but the little Ranger handled it no problem. Had to get some heavy car lift runways from storage to my new shop building.

The brake controller is very smooth, no jerking of the trailer at all. This is definitely as good, if not a little better actually, than the factory installed controller I had in my F250, because this one automatically switches to a slow speed setting that I pre-saved into the unit. On my factory controller, I often had to dial down the gain when getting down to neighborhood speeds from the highway setting.

This total trailer load was right around 8100 lbs.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
20191123_134405.jpg
20191123_134434.jpg
Here's a load I pulled 2 days ago. Only went about 10 miles, but the little Ranger handled it no problem. Had to get some heavy car lift runways from storage to my new shop building.

The brake controller is very smooth, no jerking of the trailer at all. This is definitely as good, if not a little better actually, than the factory installed controller I had in my F250, because this one automatically switches to a slow speed setting that I pre-saved into the unit. On my factory controller, I often had to dial down the gain when getting down to neighborhood speeds from the highway setting.

This total trailer load was right around 8100 lbs.
What brake controller do you use

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
I'm using the Tuson DirecLink. You wire up the 4 under dash wires to the control unit, and also plug in to the OBDII port so the unit can monitor various computer parameters. Pretty slick setup. Expensive, but since I do tow close to the limits of the truck, it was worth the price in my mind.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
Just wondering what everyone’s going to be towing with their new rangers? Post pictures too!!

Jake
I am towing two sailboats, not at the same time. The little one weighs about 2,500 pounds. The tiny one around 600 pounds. They are light enough I could have used the bumper, except it was too high. I installed a hitch, and used the factory 4 pole connector. The larger boat has surge brakes so I need a fifth wire to go to the backup lights to disengage the brakes while backing up. The camera with the zoom feature makes hookup a snap.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I am towing two sailboats, not at the same time. The little one weighs about 2,500 pounds. The tiny one around 600 pounds. They are light enough I could have used the bumper, except it was too high. I installed a hitch, and used the factory 4 pole connector. The larger boat has surge brakes so I need a fifth wire to go to the backup lights to disengage the brakes while backing up. The camera with the zoom feature makes hookup a snap.
Your Ranger's plug receptacle already is setup with a backup light circuit. You just need the right adapter on your trailer (a five-flat plug adapter) to plug into the Ranger's receptacle and all will be good. I use the same setup with my boat trailer's surge brakes.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
Your Ranger's plug receptacle already is setup with a backup light circuit. You just need the right adapter on your trailer (a five-flat plug adapter) to plug into the Ranger's receptacle and all will be good. I use the same setup with my boat trailer's surge brakes.
I just checked the wiring to the plug, and it only has three wires plus ground. My truck is an XL.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I just checked the wiring to the plug, and it only has three wires plus ground. My truck is an XL.
Do you have a factory hitch and trailer wiring or aftermarket?