First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Buyer
Okay, so I have a 2019 XLT 4 x 4. Ordered and bought new. When driving through an on ramp heading toward I-95, wet pavement, the truck makes a hard move to the right. Moves it at least a foot. Scared the crap out me. This has happened at least twice now. Any ideas? Or should I just be sure to take things more slowly on ramp?
Sponsored

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, so I have a 2019 XLT 4 x 4. Ordered and bought new. When driving through an on ramp heading toward I-95, wet pavement, the truck makes a hard move to the right. Moves it at least a foot. Scared the crap out me. This has happened at least twice now. Any ideas? Or should I just be sure to take things more slowly on ramp?
Sounds like the lane assist feature is detecting the painted line and steering you into the center of the lane .

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Some of today’s tire blends have much to be desired. Typical of some to just lose grip with no warning. Usually you’ll get a little tire squeal before they break lose. Fair warning now, you push what you have on there hard enough it will do exactly the same thing. What tires are on it just so we know

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So, a lot of things to consider here Brian…

@rydfree is correct to suggest your Lane Assist feature - you can turn it off, adjust sensitivity, etc.

@Trigganometry is correct too - your arse end could be slipping out on you if you’re hard on the gas

@RANGER PRIDE also makes a good point

My first instinct was the same as Brian’s - maybe find the Lane Assist menu using your steering wheel buttons and choose a gentler nudge. In the meantime, carry a fresh pair of drawers. ?

OP
OP
rangerfx

rangerfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Buyer
I appreciate the insights. I will try to adjust the lane assist and see what happens. And carry another set of drawers just in case. I'm pretty sure it scared the guy behind me too as he seemed to back away some. :cool:

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
The "Assist" can be turned off. I have just the "Warning" turned on as I don't mind the vibrating steering wheel warning. But, like others, I didn't like the unexpected help that caused a correction beyond what I intended.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 19 Ranger does not have LA but or 21 CR V does. I always turn it off as I like to drive in the lane were I want to be, out of the groves & potholes. LA wants you to drive into all of the groves & potholes. I like my tires, wheels, & suspension more than LA does. Different strokes for different folks. :like:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I was today years old when I learned I could adjust the sensitivity of lane assist (beyond just turning it on/off). gonna have to look into that. it's annoying when it detects a groove in the pavement as a lane marker. especially when that groove cuts across the lane. or just spilled paint. but I like it otherwise. even the gentle nudging. it did take a little getting used to, though.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The "Assist" can be turned off. I have just the "Warning" turned on as I don't mind the vibrating steering wheel warning. But, like others, I didn't like the unexpected help that caused a correction beyond what I intended.
Turn it all off, don’t let Robots drive your truck … :)

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Different take here! If it is happening in the same place in the same road conditions I would bet it is a steel bridge joint or other road imperfection. An abrupt and sudden shift like you are describing sounds like a momentary lose of traction. The joint is much slicker than the other road surface and if it is sunken or raised it could definitely upset your truck. Could also be a low spot with ponded water causing momentary hydro planing. The jerk could be a quick lose of traction then the tires hook back up and you carry on.
Is the movement towards the outside of the turn? Does the steering wheel jerk? Do you hear the brakes pulsating?
I can't comment on the lane assist stuff because I have never used it. I agree with @Doc, don't let a computer drive your truck for you. Especially the steering. Just my two cents.

OP
OP
rangerfx

rangerfx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Buyer
Yes, basically at/near same spot. On ramp from route 1 to I-95. Left turn onto ramp. Has only happened when the pavement was wet. Doesn't have to be raining much at the time. I wasn't going terribly fast especially because of the moist pavement. I'll try to tweak the LA and see it that helps. Otherwise I'll turn it off.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, basically at/near same spot. On ramp from route 1 to I-95. Left turn onto ramp. Has only happened when the pavement was wet. Doesn't have to be raining much at the time. I wasn't going terribly fast especially because of the moist pavement. I'll try to tweak the LA and see it that helps. Otherwise I'll turn it off.
If your turn signal is on, the lane assist shouldn’t be taking over like this. If it is doing this while your signal is on, I suggest taking Dave’s (@AzScorpion ) advice and make sure to change the blinker fluid regularly. ?

AAC18BDC-F43A-4DEF-82C9-AB98E63A8D76.jpeg

Last edited:

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Up to you. Like I said, I wouldn't be to quick to blame the Lane Assist. If you like the way it drives 99.99% of the time, why change the settings you have liked because of one specific issue? I am very interested to hear what happens in the future with this.
Sponsored