Upgraded turn signal - Diode Dynamics SwitchBacks

Bzmustang13

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I think I am the reason that Diode Dynamics website now says not compatible with Lariat. I ordered them....of course they don't work with the Lariat....Diode said they should....I said no they don't. haha! Had to send them a video to prove it.
I actually got some switchbacks from Lasfit fot the Lariat signals and ran into what others had mentioned here. Didn't see a way to activate the front signals via Forscan for DRL. They work great for amber turn signals, very bright and good fit. Just a waste of a few extra bucks since the white can't be turned on, unless I am missing something.

At least it's an upgrade to LED for the front signals....
Sponsored

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
The Lariat headlights don't have a wire going to the signal bulb for a running light. It's just a 2 wire power and ground, signal on or signal off. Unlike the XL/XLT headlights that have 3 wires a ground, 12V+ for the running lights, and 12V+ for the signal.

Last edited:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The Lariat headlights don't have wire going to the signal bulb for a running light. It's just a 2 wire power and ground, signal on or signal off. Unlike the XL/XLT headlights that have 3 wires a ground, 12V+ for the running lights, and 12V+ for the signal.
For those of you with Lariats, what lights come on if you just turn on just the parking lights? I think the problem your having is you need to go into Forscan and enable the DRLs include Parking Lights option in the BCM module. Then you should get the white option to come on with your DRLs. You do this and you will also get the front side markers and tail lights to come on with your DRLs, added benefit.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
For those of you with Lariats, what lights come on if you just turn on just the parking lights? I think the problem your having is you need to go into Forscan and enable the DRLs include Parking Lights option in the BCM module. Then you should get the white option to come on with your DRLs. You do this and you will also get the front side markers and tail lights to come on with your DRLs, added benefit.
There's no way to activate the white portion of a switchback bulb on the lariat headlights unless you splice in a XL/XLT 3 wire bulb holder and tap running light wire on the harness to the 12V low wire on the bulb holder. It's a hardware issue.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There's no way to activate the white portion of a switchback bulb on the lariat headlights unless you splice in a XL/XLT 3 wire bulb holder and tap running light wire on the harness to the 12V low wire on the bulb holder. It's a hardware issue.
Did not answer my first question. What light bulb comes on when you turn on just the parking lights on a lariat? Also was the original halogen turn bulb a single or dual filament bulb? The manual does not list a different bulb for the front turn/parking bulb on the Lariat like it does for the other lights up front which are non-serviceable LEDs on the Lariat. It calls out a 7444 which is a dual filament bulb.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Did not answer my first question. What light bulb comes on when you turn on just the parking lights on a lariat? Also was the original halogen turn bulb a single or dual filament bulb? The manual does not list a different bulb for the front turn/parking bulb on the Lariat like it does for the other lights up front which are non-serviceable LEDs on the Lariat. It calls out a 7444 which is a dual filament bulb.
The only lights that come on when you turn on the parking lights on a Lariat is the DRL's. The original turn signal bulb was a single element non-LED.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
So as an update, both of the LED turn signal "bulbs" I purchased have failed over the last couple months, after a little bit more than a year of use. One failed in early September, the other failed just yesterday. I noticed while leaving work and luckily it's only right turns to get home, so it didn't affect anything safety wise. haha Diode Dynamics has been plenty helpful and sent replacements each time at no cost. But it just seems odd that LEDs have failed so soon, and that both of them have failed so close to each other. The replacements they've sent are the same model, but have a slightly different design to them, so maybe there was an inherent defect in the design that they've since fixed. Or maybe there's something weird going on with my truck that's destroying them. I'm not sure. Just figured I'd throw out that update for anyone that's interested.

IMG_20201105_171114124.jpg
Not automobile related...but similar... having installed LED bulbs in EVERY lamp and light in my house, nearly EVER ONE has failed after a year or so.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not automobile related...but similar... having installed LED bulbs in EVERY lamp and light in my house, nearly EVER ONE has failed after a year or so.
You might want to check/monitor the incoming voltage to your house. It may be high or having spikes. Some areas are not regulated very well. I've had LEDs in most of my lights for years and have only had one die. That was in a garage door opener that ate regular bulbs in weeks. Just a thought.

RAYJAY

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger pickup 2019 subaru

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
I actually got some switchbacks from Lasfit fot the Lariat signals and ran into what others had mentioned here. Didn't see a way to activate the front signals via Forscan for DRL. They work great for amber turn signals, very bright and good fit. Just a waste of a few extra bucks since the white can't be turned on, unless I am missing something.

At least it's an upgrade to LED for the front signals....
How are those Lasfit turn signals working for you? I’m looking to upgrade my turn signal bulbs to LED but don’t want hyperflash and don’t want to add resisters. Curious to know how yours are turning out. Thanks!

Showmeguy2020

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX2, 2017 Honda Magna 500
How are those Lasfit turn signals working for you? I’m looking to upgrade my turn signal bulbs to LED but don’t want hyperflash and don’t want to add resisters. Curious to know how yours are turning out. Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823X6WGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For what it's worth, I found these and have had them in for about a week. Plug and play, no resistors, amber flash, white running lights, no hyperflash at all. 2020 XLT

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
After switching to Lariat Headlights I got THESE. Very bright and resistor built in, so no hyper blink. And not switchbacks so cheaper for Lariat owners/Lariat Headlight owners.

Interesting that the Lariat Headlights came with a dual filament turn bulb and socket(same as my XLT Headlights), but as @BassRanger said - no wire to the second filament.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
After switching to Lariat Headlights I got THESE. Very bright and resistor built in, so no hyper blink. And not switchbacks so cheaper for Lariat owners/Lariat Headlight owners.

Interesting that the Lariat Headlights came with a dual filament turn bulb and socket, but as @BassRanger said no wire to the second filament.
I'm going to try these. How long have you run yours? The incandescents are an annoying detail I feel Ford overlooked.

EDIT - I read the reviews and saw the complaint that if they stay on over 60 seconds they hyperflash. May not be a big deal, but other reviews report they actually do include separate resistors so I'm unsure. A certain percentage of failures are understandable. They do have a good overall rating though.

Last edited:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to try these. How long have you run yours? The incandescents are an annoying detail I feel Ford overlooked.

EDIT - I read the reviews and saw the complaint that if they stay on over 60 seconds they hyperflash. May not be a big deal, but other reviews report they actually do include separate resistors so I'm unsure. A certain percentage of failures are understandable. They do have a good overall rating though.
I have only had them for 4-5wks. Still going strong and no hyper blink.
But you made me curios on the 60 seconds! So I went out the truck and ran each side for 2 min and then ran the flashers for 5 min. Still no hyper blink. And to be clear inside nor out!
I have bought a ton of auto LED bulbs and some you can tell by the look and feel are cheap, these are not those! Have a good heat-sink and quality build, but time will tell.
Sponsored