First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Interesting video. As an amateur radio, mobile operator, for well over 50 years, I've had my share of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). One of the largest, besides hybrid vehicles, are LED headlamps.

I give Ford credit, and I give credit to Chrysler for taming their respective LED headlights (not so much the rest). They're still RFI noisy, but still heads above most of the Pacific Rim suppliers (≈97% at least count!).

This is the first US made units I know of, but that doesn't mean much. Unless, that is, we know where the constant current controllers came from. And/or what kind of RFI suppression they use.

You might think this issue doesn't matter if you're not an amateur radio operator. But you'd be wrong, if you frequent AM radio stations. Satellite and FM are almost immune to AM pulsed RFI, but not 100%.

So have a backup plan just in case. In other words, make sure you can return them if the RFI is excessive. I give them good odd they are RFI generators!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Interesting video. As an amateur radio, mobile operator, for well over 50 years, I've had my share of RFI (Radio Frequency Interference). One of the largest, besides hybrid vehicles, are LED headlamps.

I give Ford credit, and I give credit to Chrysler for taming their respective LED headlights (not so much the rest). They're still RFI noisy, but still heads above most of the Pacific Rim suppliers (≈97% at least count!).

This is the first US made units I know of, but that doesn't mean much. Unless, that is, we know where the constant current controllers came from. And/or what kind of RFI suppression they use.

You might think this issue doesn't matter if you're not an amateur radio operator. But you'd be wrong, if you frequent AM radio stations. Satellite and FM are almost immune to AM pulsed RFI, but not 100%.

So have a backup plan just in case. In other words, make sure you can return them if the RFI is excessive. I give them good odd they are RFI generators!
Believe it or not most of the circuit design happens in the States. Then gets offshored for build and returned for assembly and testing. By now with the proliferation of LED in many things the core IC’s are custom made and toroidal chokes do the heavy work. It really comes down to the quality of components used and board layout with proper shields used. It also make for a very efficient long lasting module.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
This is the crux: "we know where the constant current controllers came from."

In order to justify costs, it is almost impossible to have custom chips made, unless the quantities have a lot of zeros in the numbers. The last time I looked, there were about 60 different chips designed as "LED drivers". As I said, I was unaware there was a US manufacturer, but if "I" were the owner, I sure wouldn't be looking at a custom chip!

Ferrites are wonderful devices, if indeed they're applied correctly. However, there is a hitch. The oscillator frequency used by these chips, hovers around a peak of 80 kHz or so. Ferrites can suppress the harmonics of their digital oscillators, but for any harmonic under about 2 MHz, they don't do much. There are other suppression techniques, but we need to remember, the oscillations have square wave signatures and are very rich in harmonics.

As I alluded to above, it isn't just LED headlights, that are becoming an FCC Part 15 nightmare. Transportation vehicles are exempt from Part 15, and although manufacturers do a creditable job of suppressing RFI, the affect of a few billion computers in our vehicles is additive. In fact, background static levels have been increasing steadily in the last couple of decades. It is, in essence, a form of man-made pollution, we need to find solutions for.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
color me intrigued if they actually make one for the 2019+ Ranger.

Right now I'm just using drop-in LED bulbs because the OEM halogen lights are weak. The existing aftermarket headlights have my attention, but the high price tag of them makes me want to be absolutely sure they're going to be what I want before I spend it. and I haven't quite been reassured yet. not to mention big projects at the house command priority right now.

OP
OP
Figarou

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
This is what was shown at SEMA 2022

Those are not Ranger headlights. It's fog lights for the F-150.

Best Ford Trucks of SEMA 2022! _ Highlights, Event Coverage & More! 9-30 screenshot.png

Here it is on the F-150.

Best Ford Trucks of SEMA 2022! _ Highlights, Event Coverage & More! 8-52 screenshot.png

Since what we have is an outgoing model, I'm not sure if we are going to see anything new for it. ?

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
This is what was shown at SEMA 2022

Those are not Ranger headlights. It's fog lights for the F-150.

Best Ford Trucks of SEMA 2022! _ Highlights, Event Coverage & More! 9-30 screenshot.png

Here it is on the F-150.

Best Ford Trucks of SEMA 2022! _ Highlights, Event Coverage & More! 8-52 screenshot.png

Since what we have is an outgoing model, I'm not sure if we are going to see anything new for it. ?
I agree with this....I was pretty sure the creation of the morimitos and gtr carbides were very limited as I don't think there was a large market share for the ranger market.

I can't speak for all trim lines coming to the Ranger6g but from every photo I've seen to date they all look like they will be coming with led headlamps.

While diode dynamics probably would have a solid unit ....my best option to date would still be to somehow acquire a set of oem led assemblies.
Sponsored