Tuned by Ford Fox 2.0 Coilovers are different than aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
That's not right and neither was my previous answer. If you crank down a longer spring so it's the same length as a short spring you'll have way more preload and the rate will increase according to the formula (1" 250#, 2" 500#, etc) and you'll have way more shock extension, but that's not the question. A longer spring of the same rate will require the same preload to have the same ride height (static shock extension) but it will still be the same rate (#/in), it won't be stiffer. Shortening a spring (cutting off some coils) increases the rate I know this for a fact but we are talking 2 springs with the same rate, so length is irrelevant (amount of travel to coil bind is) . Do we really know the spring rates are the same? 2 springs made with the same wire the one with more coils has a lower rate, so that would be the Ford. But we'd need someone to measure the thickness of the wire on both. If they are the same rate then the Ford wire will be thicker.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's not right and neither was my previous answer. If you crank down a longer spring so it's the same length as a short spring you'll have way more preload and the rate will increase according to the formula (1" 250#, 2" 500#, etc) and you'll have way more shock extension, but that's not the question. A longer spring of the same rate will require the same preload to have the same ride height (static shock extension) but it will still be the same rate (#/in), it won't be stiffer. Shortening a spring (cutting off some coils) increases the rate I know this for a fact but we are talking 2 springs with the same rate, so length is irrelevant (amount of travel to coil bind is) . Do we really know the spring rates are the same? 2 springs made with the same wire the one with more coils has a lower rate, so that would be the Ford. But we'd need someone to measure the thickness of the wire on both. If they are the same rate then the Ford wire will be thicker.
Hi Mark,

I believe this was calculated before. I made a decimal error but it was corrected by another engineer and the Fox Ford spring was 14% stiffer...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe this was calculated before. I made a decimal error but it was corrected by another engineer and the Fox Ford spring was 14% stiffer...
Thanks Phil. To clarify the Ford Racing Fox spring is 14% stiffer than the aftermarket Fox spring? Do we know how these compare to the stock spring?

There are a few of us that want better front suspension but less than a 2" lift so we are trying to figure out which kit is the best at a lower (0-1") lift height.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil. To clarify the Ford Racing Fox spring is 14% stiffer than the aftermarket Fox spring? Do we know how these compare to the stock spring?

There are a few of us that want better front suspension but less than a 2" lift so we are trying to figure out which kit is the best at a lower (0-1") lift height.
Hi Mark,

Not quite correct. The Ford Fox springs are 14% stiffer than the stock Ranger springs. Make sense?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Based on the part numbers printed on the Eibach springs, both are 3” ID. Both are 550lb/inch spring rate. The overall length of the springs that come from the Ford performance kit are 16”. The overall length of the springs supplied with the aftermarket kit are 14”.
Fox lists the front shocks supplied in the aftermarket kit as 20.5” in overall length with a 4.47” stroke.

If we do make the assumption that the overall length and stroke of the Ford performance shocks are the same, then that would mean that the aftermarket kit would actually offer a softer ride than the Ford performance kit.
This is keeping in mind that the internal valving on the shocks from the 2 different kits are certainly different. Which is softer/firmer will really only be discovered once someone gets both shocks in a dyno or gets a better answer out of Ford/Fox.
If the spring rates are the same, then they are going to be the same stiffness at the same static ride height. they will both take the same preload to get to the same ride height, regardless of the free length. just the spring seat will be in a different location on the shock, if the shock is the same length. I believe the only difference will be as you preload the spring to increase your ride height, the longer spring should be effected slightly less, but at 14" vs 16" lengths I doubt that would be noticeable in the way the truck rides.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thx Phil. So we still don't know about the Ford perf vs Fox 2.0 springs. Someone needs to measure the wire diameter or verify the rates (someone has but is that verified). It makes sense for the Ford springs to be made of the same wire, they just lowered the rate with more coils?

Joem, PM Phil or post in the towing section so this post won't be hijacked. Thx.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thx Phil. So we still don't know about the Ford perf vs Fox 2.0 springs. Someone needs to measure the wire diameter or verify the rates (someone has but is that verified). It makes sense for the Ford springs to be made of the same wire, they just lowered the rate with more coils?

Joem, PM Phil or post in the towing section so this post won't be hijacked. Thx.
Hi Mark,

I have PMs blocked. I was getting swampped and had to stop the inbox clog. Would a moderator move Joem's post to the correct towing section and let me know and I will try to answer him from there.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Mark,

I have PMs blocked. I was getting swampped and had to stop the inbox clog. Would a moderator move Joem's post to the correct towing section and let me know and I will try to answer him from there.
Done

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
Thanks, why cant it be easier to figure out the best ones!!
I would say because there is no such thing as a 'best'. Likely every option will have it's own benefits, many of which will just be based on personal preferences.

soccer26fan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Veteran
I would say because there is no such thing as a 'best'. Likely every option will have it's own benefits, many of which will just be based on personal preferences.
I hear you! Has anyone on here installed the Roush shocks?

LM927

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I just got my fox today, but I didn’t have time to install yet. I’m thinking about getting eibach springs with the rate I want if I find that they have a high rate. And about the length/rate and pre-load discussion before.. I used to work on a suspension/steering at a Sae mini-baja team, and our longer coils springs used to have the lower rates. Think in each coil separately, they compress the same amount with given load, so if you have more coils and all other specs are the same it’ll have a longer length compressed. Another thing is about pre-load, in the fox case, you do not pre-load the springs more, because it has more space for the spring and most of the time with other shocks the pre-load doesn’t affect the spring rate, it only “delays” the compression. And lastly, yes, eibach have custom spec’d springs, it’s for “racing”, and you have the option to pick 3” id and 14” like the fox or 16” length (what I assume is the tuned by ford performance) in a wide range of rates.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I just got my fox today, but I didn’t have time to install yet. I’m thinking about getting eibach springs with the rate I want if I find that they have a high rate. And about the length/rate and pre-load discussion before.. I used to work on a suspension/steering at a Sae mini-baja team, and our longer coils springs used to have the lower rates. Think in each coil separately, they compress the same amount with given load, so if you have more coils and all other specs are the same it’ll have a longer length compressed. Another thing is about pre-load, in the fox case, you do not pre-load the springs more, because it has more space for the spring and most of the time with other shocks the pre-load doesn’t affect the spring rate, it only “delays” the compression. And lastly, yes, eibach have custom spec’d springs, it’s for “racing”, and you have the option to pick 3” id and 14” like the fox or 16” length (what I assume is the tuned by ford performance) in a wide range of rates.
I say try them out before ordering new springs. You might like them alot!!! All the reviews o have seen on here and other places on the interweb has been pretty good!! I would have gotten the Fox kit myself if Old Man EMU didn't release thier kit.
Sponsored