Ford Tuned Fox 2.0 Installed.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Yes. I have the Fox 2.0s rears (not the Ford version), which came with the installation manual for both front and rear shocks. The last page states the shocks need service at 50k miles (on road driving only) or 10K miles (half on road, half off road driving). I expect most of us are near the 50K zone.

See page 13 of the install manual here:
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/frs-985-02-133.pdf

When the time comes, here's the cost breakdown:
https://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=offroad

Well before the time comes, I'm just going to buy a used set of takeoffs and have a local shop rebuild them so I can just swap them out in the garage one weekend when I'm feeling squirrely.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Well before the time comes, I'm just going to buy a used set of takeoffs and have a local shop rebuild them so I can just swap them out in the garage one weekend when I'm feeling squirrely.
That's my plan with the rears also. They are cheap enough to buy a second pair around 40k miles, install the new ones, send the old to Fox. Then ~40k later, put the rebuilt ones back and send the others out, etc. :)

I do about 5% off roading, the 40k miles was an estimate for me.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, looking ahead, when they say that the shocks "need service" after c. 40K, what exactly is going wrong with them? Does ride quality suffer? Does risk of breaking down increase? What should we watch for? Is it worthwhile to just replace them at c. 40 to be sure (and take advantage of any improvements in technology in the mean time)?

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Guys, looking ahead, when they say that the shocks "need service" after c. 40K, what exactly is going wrong with them? Does ride quality suffer? Does risk of breaking down increase? What should we watch for? Is it worthwhile to just replace them at c. 40 to be sure (and take advantage of any improvements in technology in the meaning)?
The seals and oil break down and they can leak which will remove dampening ability. The oil gets contaminated as well since the seals aren’t able to keep out tiny pieces of dirt and water.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The seals and oil break down and they can leak which will remove dampening ability. The oil gets contaminated as well since the seals aren’t able to keep out tiny pieces of dirt and water.
This ^ The dampening will degrade over use.

I have my Fox mountain bike shocks rebuilt every year (be happy the truck versions don't have that short of an service interval). You don't notice the decrease in performance until you get them back from service. It is like new again.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Guys, looking ahead, when they say that the shocks "need service" after c. 40K, what exactly is going wrong with them? Does ride quality suffer?....

I replaced the shocks on my Jeep. When I took the old shocks off they would not even expand on their own. I collapsed them and they stayed in the short position The whole day. That is one change in performance that you don’t realize until they are off the vehicle because the coil or leaf spring supports the vehicle weight and will hid the issue when installed.
Sponsored