John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a Lariat Tremor on June 30th, 2021... took delivery on July 6th...

Overall experience...

First, I really like the design of my new truck... but the build quality has issues.. When I purchased the truck it was in transit (on a train) and was expected to be delivered within a week. When the truck arrived at the dealer it was in very rough shape after its unprotected trip. When I took delivery the next day, I noticed the new truck had already been driven 27 miles. So, not getting an answer for how a new vehicle had miles, I called the assembly plant for an answer. No other contacts including the Korum Ford dealership nor the national Customer Service could provide a clear explaination for the excessive miles. When I was transfered to the assembly plant, I was greeted by a guard that would not connect me to anyone including any public information person. She was rude and simply disconnected the call. My truck was delivered with a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen, overspray and outward dent on driver’s front quarter panel, overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces), floor mats that don't fit, misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening), passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat), front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side) and dimpled hood. In addition, the Ford Pass app wouldn't authenticate my VIN because another user was already associated with the truck. In my case, this assembly plant did not produce a quality finished product. I had no issue paying a very high MSRP for a new vehicle that should never have problems... I had to buy sight unseen due to high demand and little availability. This was a very disappointing experience. I paid top dollar for a used truck with manufacture defects. Just try to get a Ford dealer to do warranty work. If your lucky, they might fix the original issue, but cost you greaf and possibly more damage through the repair process. My experience with Ford, their dealers and their product will certainly cause me to go to the competition with my dollars in the future. They are always glad to take your money but then turn their back when an issue arrises. Through this experience I have met / talked with many quality people that empathize with these issues. If I could recommend anything it would be that Ford empower and promote excellence and get rid of dead weight. The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford, but my issues have not been corrected at this time. You may feel confident after hours of product research... the difference is in dealing with people and an organization you can trust with your hard earned money. My wife has since purchased a beautiful, perfectly built, fuel efficient Subaru (also expensive). She absolutely loves her car and had a great buying experience.

Update: 07/22/2021 The Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) is extremely important for the overall customer perception of the new vehicle condition. When the Dealer receives your new car or truck, they do everything they can to hide any paint or other cosmetic imperfections caused through carrier transport to the dealer. Also, ANY damage to your new vehicle from transport is hidden from the buyer in an effort to facilitate the vehicle sale. My new Ranger Tremor was delivered with a very hard silica (due to unprotected transport) material that effectively scratched the windshield, sync screen, and paint clear coat. This "scratching" was facilitated and exasperated by ignorant personell whom performed the "cleaning" prior to delivery. It was clear that the PDI persons were unaware that silica dust and debris could scratch and otherwise damage a new vehicle if not properly removed...

08/01/2021

Truck purchased 30JUN2021 arrival at the dealer 05JUL202 delivery 06JUL2021 My truck was delivered with:

• a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen
• overall scratched clear coat (initially hidden by detail product)
• overspray and outward dent on driver’s front quarter panel
• overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces)
• floor mats that don't fit (sold as ***********, delivered as Ford)
• misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening)
• drivers side front door warpage
• passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat)
• folding side mirror feature intermittent failure
• front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side)
• dimpled hood (possible manufacture defect)
• damaged front passenger seat cover (residual glue or burn on seat base)
• touched up paint at base of both front doors

The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford and get reimbursed under Warranty, but not all the issues are covered by Ford and some will need to be covered by the dealer. My new truck issues have not been corrected at this time.

Update:

- Original dealer issued ~5 percent partial refund. Refused to perform warranty repairs. Sent me away and told Ford CS that I was happy with outcome (untrue)

- Attempted alignment and body warranty repairs through another local dealer without success.

- Made appointment (November 8th) for another attempt through another local dealer.

- I have since researched a persistent code that seems to indicate a communication failure between the body and abs modules. (U1A00).

- Forced to perform my first oil change at 1166 miles... dip stick indicated the truck was a quart overfilled. I checked all fluids upon delivery and have not added oil since. Could this be caused by leaky injectors? Gas dripping into the cylendar when parked?

I've never asked anyone to "rebuild" my new truck or perform miracles, but Ford really needs to step up with repairs or buy this truck back. I'm reasonable in my expectations and understand people can make mistakes... any advise is much appreciated.
Sounds to me like it was taken for a joy ride by someone at the dealer or they let another customer take your ordered truck on an extended joyride. It's not uncommon for someone to think they can sneak a vehicle off the lot for a night or weekend. I saw lots of people lose their jobs at the dealership I worked at for doing this but not once did the GM let the customer know it happened.

The damage to the interior is particularly something that definitely happened at the dealership because they come with the screen and dash covered in vinyl that says in big letters something to the effect of "do not remove until customer delivery". If it's scratched up, the dealer did it or someone who the dealer let have access to it (extended test drive for another customer, employee, whoever) did it. I've not seen how the Ranger is prepped for trains but they are inside mostly closed rail cars and usually have a vinyl wrap over edges.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a Lariat Tremor on June 30th, 2021... took delivery on July 6th...

Overall experience...

First, I really like the design of my new truck... but the build quality has issues.. When I purchased the truck it was in transit (on a train) and was expected to be delivered within a week. When the truck arrived at the dealer it was in very rough shape after its unprotected trip. When I took delivery the next day, I noticed the new truck had already been driven 27 miles. So, not getting an answer for how a new vehicle had miles, I called the assembly plant for an answer. No other contacts including the Korum Ford dealership nor the national Customer Service could provide a clear explaination for the excessive miles. When I was transfered to the assembly plant, I was greeted by a guard that would not connect me to anyone including any public information person. She was rude and simply disconnected the call. My truck was delivered with a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen, overspray and outward dent on driver’s front quarter panel, overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces), floor mats that don't fit, misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening), passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat), front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side) and dimpled hood. In addition, the Ford Pass app wouldn't authenticate my VIN because another user was already associated with the truck. In my case, this assembly plant did not produce a quality finished product. I had no issue paying a very high MSRP for a new vehicle that should never have problems... I had to buy sight unseen due to high demand and little availability. This was a very disappointing experience. I paid top dollar for a used truck with manufacture defects. Just try to get a Ford dealer to do warranty work. If your lucky, they might fix the original issue, but cost you greaf and possibly more damage through the repair process. My experience with Ford, their dealers and their product will certainly cause me to go to the competition with my dollars in the future. They are always glad to take your money but then turn their back when an issue arrises. Through this experience I have met / talked with many quality people that empathize with these issues. If I could recommend anything it would be that Ford empower and promote excellence and get rid of dead weight. The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford, but my issues have not been corrected at this time. You may feel confident after hours of product research... the difference is in dealing with people and an organization you can trust with your hard earned money. My wife has since purchased a beautiful, perfectly built, fuel efficient Subaru (also expensive). She absolutely loves her car and had a great buying experience.

Update: 07/22/2021 The Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) is extremely important for the overall customer perception of the new vehicle condition. When the Dealer receives your new car or truck, they do everything they can to hide any paint or other cosmetic imperfections caused through carrier transport to the dealer. Also, ANY damage to your new vehicle from transport is hidden from the buyer in an effort to facilitate the vehicle sale. My new Ranger Tremor was delivered with a very hard silica (due to unprotected transport) material that effectively scratched the windshield, sync screen, and paint clear coat. This "scratching" was facilitated and exasperated by ignorant personell whom performed the "cleaning" prior to delivery. It was clear that the PDI persons were unaware that silica dust and debris could scratch and otherwise damage a new vehicle if not properly removed...

08/01/2021

Truck purchased 30JUN2021 arrival at the dealer 05JUL202 delivery 06JUL2021 My truck was delivered with:

• a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen
• overall scratched clear coat (initially hidden by detail product)
• overspray and outward dent on driver’s front quarter panel
• overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces)
• floor mats that don't fit (sold as ***********, delivered as Ford)
• misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening)
• drivers side front door warpage
• passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat)
• front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side)
• dimpled hood (possible manufacture defect)
• damaged front passenger seat cover (residual glue or burn on seat base)
• touched up paint at base of both front doors

The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford and get reimbursed under Warranty, but not all the issues are covered by Ford and some will need to be covered by the dealer. My new truck issues have not been corrected at this time.

Update:

- Original dealer issued ~5 percent partial refund. Refused to perform warranty repairs. Sent me away and told Ford CS that I was happy with outcome (untrue)

- Attempted alignment and body warranty repairs through another local dealer without success.

- Made appointment (November 8th) for another attempt through another local dealer.

- I have since researched a persistent code that seems to indicate a communication failure between the body and abs modules. (U1A00).

- Forced to perform my first oil change at 1166 miles... dip stick indicated the truck was a quart overfilled. I checked all fluids upon delivery and have not added oil since. Could this be caused by leaky injectors? Gas dripping into the cylendar when parked?

I've never asked anyone to "rebuild" my new truck or perform miracles, but Ford really needs to step up with repairs or buy this truck back. I'm reasonable in my expectations and understand people can make mistakes... any advise is much appreciated.
Why would anyone accept delivery on a vehicle is this condition???

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
Sounds to me like it was taken for a joy ride by someone at the dealer or they let another customer take your ordered truck on an extended joyride. It's not uncommon for someone to think they can sneak a vehicle off the lot for a night or weekend. I saw lots of people lose their jobs at the dealership I worked at for doing this but not once did the GM let the customer know it happened.

The damage to the interior is particularly something that definitely happened at the dealership because they come with the screen and dash covered in vinyl that says in big letters something to the effect of "do not remove until customer delivery". If it's scratched up, the dealer did it or someone who the dealer let have access to it (extended test drive for another customer, employee, whoever) did it. I've not seen how the Ranger is prepped for trains but they are inside mostly closed rail cars and usually have a vinyl wrap over edges.
Yup. The bronco I ordered and refused had paint chips and already had 12 miles on odometer. Not to mention had already been at dealership a week prior to notifying me that it had arrived. Sounds like koy ride for sure.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Be careful with threats like that. It could just be that someone fat fingered a VIN when setting up their app and, when corrected, Mother Ford didn't remove and set that VIN as new. I'm not saying that is what happened, but playing Devil's Advocate. Threats get you less places than anything else and shouldn't be the first thought. I am interested to find out what happened.
Definitely not a fat finger since you have to confirm it on the truck before it’s paired.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
If you enjoy modifying a truck to fit you, I’d go with the FX4. The FOX suspension on the tremor is not adjustable so if you want to lift it, you’ll need new suspension parts anyway. With the price difference, I think you can make a better truck with the FX4 than the Tremor. But, if you want a grab-and-go truck that looks modified, go with the Tremor.
Either option will get you a great truck with offroad capability.
If you are modifying to personal taste, the FX4 doesnt get you anything the standard 4x4 doesnt. Save the initial cost.

I have no use for the terrain management system. I know how to drive off road. I can switch to 4 low if i need to crawl. Been doin this for decades.

Which is why I did not order the FX4 option. STX with locking diff option.

I will lift. Which makes any suspension the FX4 provides wasted money. Same with tremor.

The only thing that i didn't get was a couple skid plates. Which i can bolt on for less money.

My final cost will be much less than if i paid for the FX or Tremor package.
Even if one would add the terrain mangement....which to me is wasted money.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The app isn't a good indicator because I (and a bunch of others here) took the VIN we were given and registered an account months or weeks prior to the truck even being built. If something were to happen where that person didn't take delivery and didn't delete the vehicle from their account, it's likely it would remain associated to the person who registered it until they delete the vehicle or someone were to track down the right person at support.
Definitely not a fat finger since you have to confirm it on the truck before it’s paired.
Not trying to argue, but it's been done before the truck was built before, as indicated in the included quote. It can be done. Again, I'm not saying it is what happened, just offering another option. To to OPs point, there were a lot of things that made up the issue, not just the app.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Blue Streak,

What a reasonable question... actually, I would always inspect a vehicle prior to purchase. However, due to low production and high demand, this truck was only available to purchase during transit. Everyone at the Dealership assured me of their high level of competence and professionalism... they also assured me that if anything was wrong, that they would correct / fix any problem. I was dealing with the Sales Manager and ultimately the General Manager. To "fix" the problems the General Manager offered a ~5 percent partial refund as "we owe" and "new" Sync screen which I would be responsible to install. My choices were to loose the $5k trade to retail conversion on my excellent condition trade and have the dealer buy back the truck... leaving me negative $5k and no truck, accept the new truck and maybe recover damages in small claims court, ask ford to cover the manufacture defects under warranty, file charges with the local or county police for obvious vehicle damage through the dealer PDI process... The police were not interested and advised that I file a small claims court case.. As you can imagine, there was much back and forth via email, the originating dealer documented all the problems and accepted responsibility for only the Sync screen damage. They agreed to a new Sync screen replacement but sent a used / refurbished part instead along with the refund check. Everyone was deliberate in their efforts to stay as quiet and unaccountable as possible.

I have since tried many times through Ford CS and two other dealers to resolve the warranty items with no results. No repair work has been properly done at this time except for a brake bleed and brake fluid removal from the engine compartment. I have not been able to get ford Customer Service to respond for the last month after a claim / case was started.

At no time did I accept the truck as delivered nor did I agree to be satisfied by the partial "we owe" refund. Certainly the used Sync screen replacement is not acceptable when considering a replacement part for a "new" vehicle.

I have been jolted by the audacity of the originating dealer to think their behavior might be acceptable. Ford and their dealers need to do a far better job when representing, building, selling, and servicing their product.
I understand what you are saying as for as purchase during transit, but I do not understand why you could not back out of the deal after inspection and not loose a dime. When I purchased my truck it was found at an out of town dealer. 2hr drive. I agreed to the deal on the truck with my inspection before accepting it no money down. If there would have been any issues as you describe the truck would have been refused & I would have walked away no lose but time.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
If you are modifying to personal taste, the FX4 doesnt get you anything the standard 4x4 doesnt. Save the initial cost.

I have no use for the terrain management system. I know how to drive off road. I can switch to 4 low if i need to crawl. Been doin this for decades.

Which is why I did not order the FX4 option. STX with locking diff option.

I will lift. Which makes any suspension the FX4 provides wasted money. Same with tremor.

The only thing that i didn't get was a couple skid plates. Which i can bolt on for less money.

My final cost will be much less than if i paid for the FX or Tremor package.
Even if one would add the terrain mangement....which to me is wasted money.
I thought the same thing until I used it in the sand dunes. The terrain management does things you can only dream of doing. I’ve been driving off-road for 20 years and I haven’t figured out how to modulate each brake individually to get unstuck from a dead stop in sand. It’s not needed, but man is it cool. Same with the trail control. It’s very unique and useful even for seasoned off-roaders.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by the Salesman that June 30th was the last day to qualify for the $1k incentive from Ford. And that if their were "any" problems, they would be fixed. Obviously, there are many unresolved problems but I have already traded my used car as part of the deal. I knew I would not get anywhere close to KBB on a dealer trade, but was also very interested in this Tremor purchase. The sale numbers follow:

Sticker Prics: $47,515
Sale Price: $47,507.88
Sales Tax: $2,306.00
Excise Tax:
Document Fee: $150.00
Trade: $6,960.00
Rebate Incentive: $1,000.00
Total Financed: $42,805.88
Total Cash Price: $50,765.88
So if what you are saying they had possession of your used car before you truck arrived I believe that is a dumb deal. There is no vehicle that I would buy or pay for site unseen. These are just my opinions everyone has different thoughts. Life goes on.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Blue Streak,

What a reasonable question... actually, I would always inspect a vehicle prior to purchase. However, due to low production and high demand, this truck was only available to purchase during transit. Everyone at the Dealership assured me of their high level of competence and professionalism... they also assured me that if anything was wrong, that they would correct / fix any problem. I was dealing with the Sales Manager and ultimately the General Manager. To make the problems "go away" the General Manager offered a ~5 percent partial refund as "we owe" and "new" Sync screen which I would be responsible to install. My choices were to lose the $5k trade to retail conversion on my excellent condition trade and have the dealer buy back the truck... leaving me negative $5k and no truck, accept the new truck and maybe recover damages in small claims court, ask ford to cover the manufacture defects under warranty, file charges with the local or county police for obvious vehicle damage through the dealer PDI process... The police were not interested and advised that I file a small claim case (up to $10k recovery in WA).. As you can imagine, there was much back and forth via email, the originating dealer documented all the problems and accepted responsibility for only the Sync screen damage. They agreed to a new Sync screen replacement but sent a used / refurbished part instead along with the refund check. Everyone was deliberate in their efforts to stay as quiet and unaccountable as possible.

I have since tried many times through Ford CS and two other dealers to resolve the warranty items with no results. No repair work has been properly done at this time except for a brake bleed and brake fluid removal from the engine compartment. I have not been able to get ford Customer Service to respond for the last month after a claim / case was started.

At no time did I accept the truck as delivered nor did I agree to be satisfied by the partial "we owe" refund. The original dealer also asked for a blanket "hold harmless" be signed as a condition of any deal... I refused to agree to a liability waiver and further insisted that any partial refund would be "no strings attached". I also made it clear my intention of not returning to the originating dealer and to have the warranty work performed at any other local Ford dealer. Certainly the used Sync screen replacement is not acceptable when considering a replacement part for a "new" vehicle.

I have been jolted by the audacity of the originating dealer to think their behavior might be acceptable. Ford and their dealers need to do a far better job when representing, building, selling, and servicing their product.
I am curious if you have contacted any lemon law attorneys yet? If this is not up their alley they will likely tell you what kind of attorney you should be looking for.

Man, this is so upsetting to read, can't even believe this (but I do). Our first Ford was a 2019 Escape AWD lease and we actually loved it but ditched the lease for the Tremor. Cosmetics wise I have a paint issue to bring up to Ford and I had to fix a trim/weather strip piece that was not installed correctly on the left rear door. Had to happen during assembly since I needed to remove torx bits to get the trim out to install correctly.

I do not regret the purchase but now I see what people talk about with the Ford "Quality". The truck has done great towing and off-road otherwise. As long as she proves to be reliable I will be happy.

Good luck and I hope an attorney can provide some help on this.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
Is it one mirror or both mirrors? Failing in standard temperatures/conditions? Do they just not fold in/out at all when the button is pressed, or are they moving partially?

• Sad
Reactions: Doc

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I was told by the Salesman that June 30th was the last day to qualify for the $1k incentive from Ford. And that if their were "any" problems, they would be fixed. Obviously, there are many unresolved problems but I have already traded my used car as part of the deal. I knew I would not get anywhere close to KBB on a dealer trade, but was also very interested in this Tremor purchase. The sale numbers follow:
Well, you learned an expensive lesson about buying something sight unseen. The typical purchase workflow, even for a custom order, is that it isn't yours until you sign all the papers and you don't do that until you've seen the truck. Regardless of whatever bs assurances you get, the only ones that matter are specific defects listed on a signed document before you hand over the money and accept delivery. Once you've paid, the sales department is on to the next guy and you're the service department's problem. (And they will only care about what Ford will reimburse under warranty, which does not include sales department shenanigans.)

How could you tell the dealer was lying? His lips were moving. If they were pushing you that hard to sign for a truck they didn't even have, they knew there was something hinky. I wonder if it really was in transit, or just something f'd up on the back lot. This is why so many of us wish the manufacturers would just do direct internet sales.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Well, you learned an expensive lesson about buying something sight unseen. The typical purchase workflow, even for a custom order, is that it isn't yours until you sign all the papers and you don't do that until you've seen the truck. Regardless of whatever bs assurances you get, the only ones that matter are specific defects listed on a signed document before you hand over the money and accept delivery. Once you've paid, the sales department is on to the next guy and you're the service department's problem. (And they will only care about what Ford will reimburse under warranty, which does not include sales department shenanigans.)

How could you tell the dealer was lying? His lips were moving. If they were pushing you that hard to sign for a truck they didn't even have, they knew there was something hinky. I wonder if it really was in transit, or just something f'd up on the back lot. This is why so many of us wish the manufacturers would just do direct internet sales.
Agree but not sure how direct internet sales would fix things that Ford screwed up on at the factory. I basically have little faith in the auto industry and rather just see the vehicle before I sign. My Tremor has spot of bad paint but I blame myself for not catching it. Buying the Tremor was my worst buying experience ever mostly because only one sales manager on sight at a busy dealer who was also training someone.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Agree but not sure how direct internet sales would fix things that Ford screwed up on at the factory.
I don't expect it to fix everything, just the horrible experience that buying a car at a dealer is compared to buying basically anything else.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I don't expect it to fix everything, just the horrible experience that buying a car at a dealer is compared to buying basically anything else.
Yeah, no doubt I wish the car buying experience was easier. Not only is it an expensive transaction but such BS to go through.
Sponsored