Tremor vs. FX4 build

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Arms are same as fx4. Not much other than shackles, rear leafs, shocks front and rear difference in drive train and suspension.
Maybe they properly phased and balanced the driveshafts on the tremor? I’m in the ranger fx4 camp unless a full raptor or equivalent comes out.
Spent last week at silver lake dunes and my fx4 on stock tires with fox 2.0’s set at fox factory height did perfectly fine. I could use some more travel for the bumps but that’s what you get with an ifs setup.
Sponsored

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
The Tremor driveshaft has a CV joint at the axle flange rather than the out of phase u-joint. Supposedly less sensitive to axle angle deviations.

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
Maybe they properly phased and balanced the driveshafts on the tremor? I’m in the ranger fx4 camp unless a full raptor or equivalent comes out.
Spent last week at silver lake dunes and my fx4 on stock tires with fox 2.0’s set at fox factory height did perfectly fine. I could use some more travel for the bumps but that’s what you get with an ifs setup.
I'll go amd take a look at the CVS and driveshaft take pix and compare. But I do agree the fx4 is pretty darn capable even in stock factory form.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I purchased a Lariat Tremor on June 30th, 2021... took delivery on July 6th...

Overall experience...

First, I really like the design of my new truck... but the build quality has issues.. When I purchased the truck it was in transit (on a train) and was expected to be delivered within a week. When the truck arrived at the dealer it was in very rough shape after its unprotected trip. When I took delivery the next day, I noticed the new truck had already been driven 27 miles. So, not getting an answer for how a new vehicle had miles, I called the assembly plant for an answer. No other contacts including the Korum Ford dealership nor the national Customer Service could provide a clear explaination for the excessive miles. When I was transfered to the assembly plant, I was greeted by a guard that would not connect me to anyone including any public information person. She was rude and simply disconnected the call. My truck was delivered with a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen, overspray and outward dent on right front quarter panel, overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces), floor mats that don't fit, misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening), passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat), front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side) and dimpled hood. In addition, the Ford Pass app wouldn't authenticate my VIN because another user was already associated with the truck. In my case, this assembly plant did not produce a quality finished product. I had no issue paying a very high MSRP for a new vehicle that should never have problems... I had to buy sight unseen due to high demand and little availability. This was a very disappointing experience. I paid top dollar for a used truck with manufacture defects. Just try to get a Ford dealer to do warranty work. If your lucky, they might fix the original issue, but cost you greaf and possibly more damage through the repair process. My experience with Ford, their dealers and their product will certainly cause me to go to the competition with my dollars in the future. They are always glad to take your money but then turn their back when an issue arrises. Through this experience I have met / talked with many quality people that empathize with these issues. If I could recommend anything it would be that Ford empower and promote excellence and get rid of dead weight. The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford, but my issues have not been corrected at this time. You may feel confident after hours of product research... the difference is in dealing with people and an organization you can trust with your hard earned money. My wife has since purchased a beautiful, perfectly built, fuel efficient Subaru (also expensive). She absolutely loves her car and had a great buying experience.

Update: 07/22/2021 The Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) is extremely important for the overall customer perception of the new vehicle condition. When the Dealer receives your new car or truck, they do everything they can to hide any paint or other cosmetic imperfections caused through carrier transport to the dealer. Also, ANY damage to your new vehicle from transport is hidden from the buyer in an effort to facilitate the vehicle sale. My new Ranger Tremor was delivered with a very hard silica (due to unprotected transport) material that effectively scratched the windshield, sync screen, and paint clear coat. This "scratching" was facilitated and exasperated by ignorant personell whom performed the "cleaning" prior to delivery. It was clear that the PDI persons were unaware that silica dust and debris could scratch and otherwise damage a new vehicle if not properly removed...

08/01/2021

Truck purchased 30JUN2021 arrival at the dealer 05JUL202 delivery 06JUL2021 My truck was delivered with:

• a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen
• overall scratched clear coat (initially hidden by detail product)
• overspray and outward dent on right front quarter panel
• overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces)
• floor mats that don't fit (sold as ***********, delivered as Ford)
• misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening)
• drivers side front door warpage
• passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat)
• folding side mirror feature intermittent failure
• front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side)
• dimpled hood (possible manufacture defect)
• damaged front passenger seat cover (residual glue or burn on seat base)
• touched up paint at base of both front doors

The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford and get reimbursed under Warranty, but not all the issues are covered by Ford and some will need to be covered by the dealer. My new truck issues have not been corrected at this time.

Update:

- Original dealer issued ~5 percent partial refund. Refused to perform warranty repairs. Sent me away and told Ford CS that I was happy with outcome (untrue)

- Attempted alignment and body warranty repairs through another local dealer without success.

- Made appointment (November 8th) for another attempt through another local dealer.

- I have since researched a persistent code that seems to indicate a communication failure between the body and abs modules. (U1A00).

- Forced to perform my first oil change at 1166 miles... dip stick indicated the truck was a quart overfilled. I checked all fluids upon delivery and have not added oil since. Could this be caused by leaky injectors? Gas dripping into the cylendar when parked?

I've never asked anyone to "rebuild" my new truck or perform miracles, but Ford really needs to step up with repairs or buy this truck back. I'm reasonable in my expectations and understand people can make mistakes... any advise is much appreciated.
Holy cow, man!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Arms are same as fx4. Not much other than shackles, rear leafs, shocks front and rear difference in drive train and suspension.
I'm assuming he was referring to the front knuckles and they are different between Tremor and the rest of the line.

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
I'm assuming he was referring to the front knuckles and they are different between Tremor and the rest of the line.
What's the difference in knuckles? Is it height, geometry?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
What's the difference in knuckles? Is it height, geometry?
I'm not positive exactly what the change is. Ford just says revised in all their literature. Car and Driver said this in their review "The Ranger Tremor's suspension features stronger upper and lower front control arms separated by a revised knuckle"

Venom_z89

First Name
Edson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger fx4
Occupation
Forklift technician
I'm not positive exactly what the change is. Ford just says revised in all their literature. Car and Driver said this in their review "The Ranger Tremor's suspension features stronger upper and lower front control arms separated by a revised knuckle"
Looking at part numbers at dealership when I had replied I had a fx4 next to a tremor most everything was same part numbers only real change I saw was the shakles and leafs even then I later measured shakles and measured sameeye to eye. I can see the knuckle being slightly taller but control arms I believe were same ill look through my pix and see if I knabed a pic as I was trying to compare all the difference. So that I could do upgrades as I go.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at part numbers at dealership when I had replied I had a fx4 next to a tremor most everything was same part numbers only real change I saw was the shakles and leafs even then I later measured shakles and measured sameeye to eye. I can see the knuckle being slightly taller but control arms I believe were same ill look through my pix and see if I knabed a pic as I was trying to compare all the difference. So that I could do upgrades as I go.
Ford website only lists one part number on their website and doesn't specify differences between any trim level or package. When I just called dealer and them look by VIN for my Tremor (which is on a truck somewhere and yet to be in my garage), they said no listing. So seems like the typical easy answer from Ford on this one.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Dark_Sky. I would create a new Topic on this site and you may get a better response. I am interested in ordering a 6G Ranger. How much power does the purchaser have in denying the vehicle due to quality issues once its delivered. There are a couple of customer service phone #'s I have seen members post on here.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
I purchased a Lariat Tremor on June 30th, 2021... took delivery on July 6th...

Overall experience...

First, I really like the design of my new truck... but the build quality has issues.. When I purchased the truck it was in transit (on a train) and was expected to be delivered within a week. When the truck arrived at the dealer it was in very rough shape after its unprotected trip. When I took delivery the next day, I noticed the new truck had already been driven 27 miles. So, not getting an answer for how a new vehicle had miles, I called the assembly plant for an answer. No other contacts including the Korum Ford dealership nor the national Customer Service could provide a clear explaination for the excessive miles. When I was transfered to the assembly plant, I was greeted by a guard that would not connect me to anyone including any public information person. She was rude and simply disconnected the call. My truck was delivered with a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen, overspray and outward dent on driver’s front quarter panel, overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces), floor mats that don't fit, misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening), passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat), front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side) and dimpled hood. In addition, the Ford Pass app wouldn't authenticate my VIN because another user was already associated with the truck. In my case, this assembly plant did not produce a quality finished product. I had no issue paying a very high MSRP for a new vehicle that should never have problems... I had to buy sight unseen due to high demand and little availability. This was a very disappointing experience. I paid top dollar for a used truck with manufacture defects. Just try to get a Ford dealer to do warranty work. If your lucky, they might fix the original issue, but cost you greaf and possibly more damage through the repair process. My experience with Ford, their dealers and their product will certainly cause me to go to the competition with my dollars in the future. They are always glad to take your money but then turn their back when an issue arrises. Through this experience I have met / talked with many quality people that empathize with these issues. If I could recommend anything it would be that Ford empower and promote excellence and get rid of dead weight. The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford, but my issues have not been corrected at this time. You may feel confident after hours of product research... the difference is in dealing with people and an organization you can trust with your hard earned money. My wife has since purchased a beautiful, perfectly built, fuel efficient Subaru (also expensive). She absolutely loves her car and had a great buying experience.

Update: 07/22/2021 The Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) is extremely important for the overall customer perception of the new vehicle condition. When the Dealer receives your new car or truck, they do everything they can to hide any paint or other cosmetic imperfections caused through carrier transport to the dealer. Also, ANY damage to your new vehicle from transport is hidden from the buyer in an effort to facilitate the vehicle sale. My new Ranger Tremor was delivered with a very hard silica (due to unprotected transport) material that effectively scratched the windshield, sync screen, and paint clear coat. This "scratching" was facilitated and exasperated by ignorant personell whom performed the "cleaning" prior to delivery. It was clear that the PDI persons were unaware that silica dust and debris could scratch and otherwise damage a new vehicle if not properly removed...

08/01/2021

Truck purchased 30JUN2021 arrival at the dealer 05JUL202 delivery 06JUL2021 My truck was delivered with:

• a scratched (wiped with abrasive) Sync screen
• overall scratched clear coat (initially hidden by detail product)
• overspray and outward dent on driver’s front quarter panel
• overfilled brake master cylinder reservoir (brake fluid on painted surfaces)
• floor mats that don't fit (sold as ***********, delivered as Ford)
• misaligned tail gate (possibly bent bed opening)
• drivers side front door warpage
• passenger seat wire harness routing problem (strain and flattened conductors caused by forward movement of seat)
• folding side mirror feature intermittent failure
• front wheel alignment problem (caster not allowing front wheel clearance, drivers side)
• dimpled hood (possible manufacture defect)
• damaged front passenger seat cover (residual glue or burn on seat base)
• touched up paint at base of both front doors

The dealer wants to blame all the problems on Ford and get reimbursed under Warranty, but not all the issues are covered by Ford and some will need to be covered by the dealer. My new truck issues have not been corrected at this time.

Update:

- Original dealer issued ~5 percent partial refund. Refused to perform warranty repairs. Sent me away and told Ford CS that I was happy with outcome (untrue)

- Attempted alignment and body warranty repairs through another local dealer without success.

- Made appointment (November 8th) for another attempt through another local dealer.

- I have since researched a persistent code that seems to indicate a communication failure between the body and abs modules. (U1A00).

- Forced to perform my first oil change at 1166 miles... dip stick indicated the truck was a quart overfilled. I checked all fluids upon delivery and have not added oil since. Could this be caused by leaky injectors? Gas dripping into the cylendar when parked?

I've never asked anyone to "rebuild" my new truck or perform miracles, but Ford really needs to step up with repairs or buy this truck back. I'm reasonable in my expectations and understand people can make mistakes... any advise is much appreciated.
"Ford Pass app wouldn't authenticate my VIN because another user was already associated with the truck."

I think this is key. As in, "none of the rest of the problems really matter".

It really seems the dealer sold you a used car as new. If so, this is fraud.

Pretty sure there are federal laws against that. Probably state laws in most states, too.

I'd run a carfax or similar registration check on it. Document *everything*. Then tell the dealer to take the truck back and get you an actual new one or you'll have to take it up with the local DA, BBB, and/or take him to court.

Last edited:

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
"Ford Pass app wouldn't authenticate my VIN because another user was already associated with the truck."

Pretty sure there are federal laws against that. Probably state laws in most states, too.

I'd run a carfax or similar registration check on it. Document *everything*. Then tell the dealer to take the truck back and get you an actual new one or you'll report him to the local DA, BBB, and take him to court.
Be careful with threats like that. It could just be that someone fat fingered a VIN when setting up their app and, when corrected, Mother Ford didn't remove and set that VIN as new. I'm not saying that is what happened, but playing Devil's Advocate. Threats get you less places than anything else and shouldn't be the first thought. I am interested to find out what happened.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Be careful with threats like that. It could just be that someone fat fingered a VIN when setting up their app and, when corrected, Mother Ford didn't remove and set that VIN as new. I'm not saying that is what happened, but playing Devil's Advocate. Threats get you less places than anything else and shouldn't be the first thought. I am interested to find out what happened.
That's why I recommended also doing a title search. But also, threats of legal action should *always* be a last resort. My apologies for not presenting that more clearly.

I do still think he should go in to the dealer with all of the gathered indicators that it appears to be a used vehicle and have them prove it is not.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
From some of the articles, it looks like whatever the difference is what gives the Tremor the wider track.

I'd run a carfax or similar registration check on it. Document *everything*. Then tell the dealer to take the truck back and get you an actual new one or you'll have to take it up with the local DA, BBB, and/or take him to court.
The app isn't a good indicator because I (and a bunch of others here) took the VIN we were given and registered an account months or weeks prior to the truck even being built. If something were to happen where that person didn't take delivery and didn't delete the vehicle from their account, it's likely it would remain associated to the person who registered it until they delete the vehicle or someone were to track down the right person at support.

The Carfax is a good idea though because it'll find if the vehicle had been registered anywhere.
Sponsored