First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
bank examiner
If any of you have driven both the new Bronco and the Tremor, what do you think about the on-road manners of both?
Sponsored

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
Hopefully someone with exact experience will come along, but in case they don't.....

I drove a 2 door Bronco (2.3L, Auto) and also a Super Crew Lariat.

Bronco felt more 'truck'ish in the way it handled, tracked, etc. Was well mannered enough (especially compared to a Wrangler) but you felt the 'truck'ishness of it. You could feel the boxyness of the body as you drove, and it never felt 'nimble' persay.

Lariat felt like a typical large SUV. Very well mannered, maybe some slight body roll on hard corners, otherwise stupid easy to daily drive. You'd have to REALLY nit pick to find something amiss with the way the SCrew handled in most traffic conditions.

OP
OP

Mark T

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
bank examiner
Hopefully someone with exact experience will come along, but in case they don't.....

I drove a 2 door Bronco (2.3L, Auto) and also a Super Crew Lariat.

Bronco felt more 'truck'ish in the way it handled, tracked, etc. Was well mannered enough (especially compared to a Wrangler) but you felt the 'truck'ishness of it. You could feel the boxyness of the body as you drove, and it never felt 'nimble' persay.

Lariat felt like a typical large SUV. Very well mannered, maybe some slight body roll on hard corners, otherwise stupid easy to daily drive. You'd have to REALLY nit pick to find something amiss with the way the SCrew handled in most traffic conditions.
I appreciate the input.

Elmosaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger (SCrew Lariat Tremor)
On post thought, I should also clarify; while the comparison I wrote above is accurate, relatively speaking, from an absolute perspective, they're both VERY drivable vehicles.

Unless one is delusional and expecting luxury car handling and manners, neither vehicle would even remotely disappoint someone who understood what owning a body on frame suv/truck entails.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
Prior to owning my tremor, I owned and drove hard top jeeps almost exclusively for almost 20 years. The on-road manners of the Wrangler never bothered me, although everyone is saying how great the Bronco IFS handles on the highway. However, I have heard that the road noise on the Broncos is no better than the Wrangler (grain of salt- I've never driven the Bronco). It was really the road noise on the Wranglers that led me to something with a fixed roof. I was an early Bronco reservation holder that dropped out when I started thinking of all those years on noisy road trips. I just didn't want to do that anymore.

OP
OP

Mark T

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
bank examiner
Prior to owning my tremor, I owned and drove hard top jeeps almost exclusively for almost 20 years. The on-road manners of the Wrangler never bothered me, although everyone is saying how great the Bronco IFS handles on the highway. However, I have heard that the road noise on the Broncos is no better than the Wrangler (grain of salt- I've never driven the Bronco). It was really the road noise on the Wranglers that led me to something with a fixed roof. I was an early Bronco reservation holder that dropped out when I started thinking of all those years on noisy road trips. I just didn't want to do that anymore.
That is a concern for me also. And as much as i like the convenience of being able to toss my bike (or bikes) innthe back of my Ridgeline, I am hesitant to give that up. Thanks for your input.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
That is a concern for me also. And as much as i like the convenience of being able to toss my bike (or bikes) innthe back of my Ridgeline, I am hesitant to give that up. Thanks for your input.
Are you looking to trade in your Ridgeline for either a Bronco or Tremor? I have a '16 Pilot Touring AWD with 2" lift and Ridgegrapplers. It was my gateway into off-road and camping when we moved to NV. Since they are basically on the same chassis, maybe I can help answer some questions comparing the Tremor to the Honda?

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Can't comment on the Bronco as I've yet to touch one but I absolutely love the Tremor on-road. Rides better than any truck I've been in save for the raptor. Came from a chevy suburban though so take that for what it's worth. It's not the audi s7 I've also driven of course but no truck or larger suv will be, especially one with serious off road capabilities (there's always a trade off)

OP
OP

Mark T

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
bank examiner
Can't comment on the Bronco as I've yet to touch one but I absolutely love the Tremor on-road. Rides better than any truck I've been in save for the raptor. Came from a chevy suburban though so take that for what it's worth. It's not the audi s7 I've also driven of course but no truck or larger suv will be, especially one with serious off road capabilities (there's always a trade off)
I wouldn't expect a Ranger to be anywhere near an Audi on road, but conversely, I would like it to be considerably better than, say, a Nissan Xterra. I have driven a Ranger on a couple of test drives, and rented one for a couple of days. I thought it rode nice, except to when it came to freeway off ramps. I thought I would lose control both times. I obviously entered them too fast, wasn't used to driving a truck. But I also wonder whether I was really pushing the limits of the truck, or if I just panicked. That's a primary point about handling I would like to know what others think.
Thanks for the input.

OP
OP

Mark T

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
bank examiner
Are you looking to trade in your Ridgeline for either a Bronco or Tremor? I have a '16 Pilot Touring AWD with 2" lift and Ridgegrapplers. It was my gateway into off-road and camping when we moved to NV. Since they are basically on the same chassis, maybe I can help answer some questions comparing the Tremor to the Honda?
[/QUOTE
The Ridgeline is a great truck and meets my needs just fine. I am interested in a Bronco or Ranger for less practical reasons, so I'm not really trying to compare the Ridgeline to either of those. I know the Ridgeline is the best driving on-road. But with that being said, I would think that a Ranger might be more fun to drive, at least around town.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
I wouldn't expect a Ranger to be anywhere near an Audi on road, but conversely, I would like it to be considerably better than, say, a Nissan Xterra. I have driven a Ranger on a couple of test drives, and rented one for a couple of days. I thought it rode nice, except to when it came to freeway off ramps. I thought I would lose control both times. I obviously entered them too fast, wasn't used to driving a truck. But I also wonder whether I was really pushing the limits of the truck, or if I just panicked. That's a primary point about handling I would like to know what others think.
Thanks for the input.
I have heard of some rear-end strangeness with the FX4s. I do not think there is any strangeness with the Tremor. But I've driven trucks all my life.

My wife, however, has NEVER driven a truck before the Ranger. Literally never. She secretly loves the truck and when I'm out of town I see her choosing it over her Highlander. I pretend I don't notice. She has never complained about the Tremor's handling and this is in LA freeway traffic with plenty of ramps.

Pleatherface

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Maintenance
I have an FX4, son has a tremor, and the wife has the 4 door bronco. All drive great and smooth. With the bronco on the freeway, I'm always surprised to be going 80+mph. It does not feel like it at all. (2.7l BadSquatch) Wife is very picky about ride quality and she loves her Bronco.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I’m watching Mecum Auctions, and they just sold a 2021 Area 51 Bronco with 22,000 miles on it for $78,000.00…:shock:

OP
OP

Mark T

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
bank examiner
I have an FX4, son has a tremor, and the wife has the 4 door bronco. All drive great and smooth. With the bronco on the freeway, I'm always surprised to be going 80+mph. It does not feel like it at all. (2.7l BadSquatch) Wife is very picky about ride quality and she loves her Bronco.
Wow! That's a nice family vehicle lineup! Thanks for the input. Good to hear.

CATX

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger TURBO
What about wind/road noise ?
Sponsored