Tremor ride and handling and Payload vs FX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm looking at buying a new Lariat Ranger to be used for overlanding and will have about 900 lbs full time payload (gear and passengers). I'm getting older so a smooth and controlled ride is important (FYI - I test drove a Colorado ZR2 and thought it was too rough). I don't plan on doing high speed desert runs but lots of lower speed exploring of forest service and BLM roads. I've driven a FX4 and thought it was ok but have read complaints that they are wallowy off road? How does the Tremor ride compared to the FX4 on and off road? What is the payload on a Tremor vs a FX4 with the same options? How does the Tremor take a load compared to the FX4? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Have not driven a Tremor to compare to my FX4. I think most people will agree, the first think to do with the FX4 is get rid of the rear shocks. And if you want to level get the matching fronts. Everyone will have their own favorite brand.

As far as payload that will vary from truck to truck depending on options and packages. Have to check the door sticker for a truck optioned to your liking and add from there. A crew cab will be less than a super cab, a 4x2 will be more than a 4x4. A Lariat less than a XLT.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
From when I was looking at a couple Tremors, i think they come equipped with Fox shocks so you don't have to worry about swapping out the FX4 shocks. The tremor SHOULD have a nicer ride than the Lariat FX4 also because of the multi-leaf rear springs that version comes with. If you're focused more on payload, the Tremor has the lowest capacity of the models but it's not significantly less. I think the Tremor had ~ 1,430 lbs of payload capacity (which would still be plenty based on your post). The other models range from 1,530 - 1,770 lbs.

I loved the Tremor and the look of the grill, but for me personally it wasn't enough to justify the increased price tag. So I opted to get the Lariat FX4 model and swapped out the FX4 suspension with Ford Performance Fox and I love the ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
No one driven both a FX4 and Tremor and can give me feedback on how the ride compares? The closest Tremor for me to test drive is a 5 hour drive one way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No one driven both a FX4 and Tremor and can give me feedback on how the ride compares? The closest Tremor for me to test drive is a 5 hour drive one way. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again.
Hi WS,

I think you need to define your wants and desires. It may help you decide what is best for you. Tremor gets more extreme off road via increased wheel travel. Does your offroading require this wheel travel...no...FX4 may be the ticket. If it is mostly ride, maybe Tremor provides the suppleness you desire. In the end, it is YOUR calibrated assometer that needs to determine what you want, not someone else like me that has an FX4 because I created the brand...

Side bar....I also created the Tremor...but it was a boom box stereo...not an off road package. Go figure....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I'm looking at buying a new Lariat Ranger to be used for overlanding and will have about 900 lbs full time payload (gear and passengers). I'm getting older so a smooth and controlled ride is important (FYI - I test drove a Colorado ZR2 and thought it was too rough). I don't plan on doing high speed desert runs but lots of lower speed exploring of forest service and BLM roads. I've driven a FX4 and thought it was ok but have read complaints that they are wallowy off road? How does the Tremor ride compared to the FX4 on and off road? What is the payload on a Tremor vs a FX4 with the same options? How does the Tremor take a load compared to the FX4? Thanks in advance.
I have driven the FX4 and Tremor only on roads and the Tremor felt much more planted and plush. I LOVE driving it. I have only had it off road once so far at Earp Falls, AZ and can only compare to my '16 Honda Pilot AWD Touring w/2" lift and 18" Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/60/18. What I can say, the Tremor was SO smooth off road I loved it.

I would suggest looking at the Stage3 Ranger build on youtube. They reviewed TONS of suspension stages with their in house build. From stock to fox 2.0 to fox 2.5 kit. The main thing about the Tremor that I like over the FX4 is that Ford for more travel (not just lift) out of it as well as the rear multi-leaf springs.

Your build budget plays a HUGE role in this decision. If you are planning a full on 3+ inch lift and such, you may just want an FX4 since you may be ripping apart the suspension.

I really think the Tremor package is ready to explore right out of the showroom at a level that will allow you to explore and determine your pain points.

Oh, side note, there is a 36gallon fuel tank being developed as well for it which will be nice for overlanding. Although, I emailed them about a 24-26 gallon version if ground clearance is lost with the 36 gallon, still waiting to hear back.

https://longrangeamerica.com/prod/frdcpxr-us/

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Owned a FX4 and now a Tremor. Not 900lbs of overlanding equipment, but with roughly 250lbs tongue weight on the ball both experience .75" of squat. The Tremor drives the same with or without the boat while the FX4 drove better with the load.

ahha

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Tremor, 99 Ford Super Duty 7.3
Occupation
Self employed
I have driven the FX4 and Tremor only on roads and the Tremor felt much more planted and plush. I LOVE driving it. I have only had it off road once so far at Earp Falls, AZ and can only compare to my '16 Honda Pilot AWD Touring w/2" lift and 18" Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/60/18. What I can say, the Tremor was SO smooth off road I loved it.

I would suggest looking at the Stage3 Ranger build on youtube. They reviewed TONS of suspension stages with their in house build. From stock to fox 2.0 to fox 2.5 kit. The main thing about the Tremor that I like over the FX4 is that Ford for more travel (not just lift) out of it as well as the rear multi-leaf springs.

Your build budget plays a HUGE role in this decision. If you are planning a full on 3+ inch lift and such, you may just want an FX4 since you may be ripping apart the suspension.

I really think the Tremor package is ready to explore right out of the showroom at a level that will allow you to explore and determine your pain points.

Oh, side note, there is a 36gallon fuel tank being developed as well for it which will be nice for overlanding. Although, I emailed them about a 24-26 gallon version if ground clearance is lost with the 36 gallon, still waiting to hear back.

https://longrangeamerica.com/prod/frdcpxr-us/
I drove an FX4 and my Tremor both only on payment so far. Tremor has a much better feel, rebound is very nicely controlled, it handles the crappy NYC roads with no problem and has very little body roll. My previous truck was an F250 diesel super duty 6 inch lift 37 inch tires. The Tremor rides like a Mercedes coupe compared to the lifted 250 SD!

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
The wife and I both thought the FX4 larait had a more plush ride over the tremor. But that was just about a 4 to 5 mile loop in town and over a couple speed bumps. Got the tremor due to it having all the options.
If I could do it over I'd have waited and found a fully loaded FX4 larait.
Tremor is a lot of money, hate the tires that come on it and while the shocks are good, I already want to change them, well just the front mostly, want to level the front and dont want just a cheap spacer.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
The wife and I both thought the FX4 larait had a more plush ride over the tremor. But that was just about a 4 to 5 mile loop in town and over a couple speed bumps. Got the tremor due to it having all the options.
Tremor is a lot of money, hate the tires that come on it and while the shocks are good, I already want to change them, well just the front mostly, want to level the front and dont want just a cheap spacer.
Did you check the tire pressure on the Tremor? Also, around here anyway, a loaded Lariat Tremor and a loaded Lariat FX4 are pretty much the same price.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I've driven both. Tremor is WAY better drive than the FX4. FX4 was bouncy. Tremor, not.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
I've driven both. Tremor is WAY better drive than the FX4. FX4 was bouncy. Tremor, not.
I drove 2 FX4's back to back. One was extremely bouncy and the other was not. I didn't check tire pressure, but I'll bet that was the issue.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I drove 2 FX4's back to back. One was extremely bouncy and the other was not. I didn't check tire pressure, but I'll bet that was the issue.
I had tire pressure up on the dash on the FX4s I drove (except the first of 4)... all psi to spec. Couldn't tolerate it compared to other mid-size trucks I was looking at... it was inferior even to the Frontier Pro-4X, which is old.

That's why I ended up with a Tremor... its out of the box suspension is properly damped. It's great.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
I am guessing the Tremor tires were set at a higher PSI than the FX4. I have personally been running my tires at 35PSI which makes it feel smoother and I can't see a difference in MPG. When towing I do 40psi. I am curious how they do in the Utah sand but so far even 35PSI was ok in more traditional sand.

I plan on a 1" Traxda front spacer personally, if I were planning for 2" or more it would probably bug me enough to buy new fox shocks too. The Fox rep I spoke with said the ones on the Tremor OEM units are tuned differently than their regular 2.0 kit. He also mentioned not going with lift spacers due to the valving being location sensitive but that said, I am just planning on 1" not 2"+ like some other people want. Someone on the leveling kit thread already did the lift, recently posted. A red Tremor and it looks so much better.

I would recommend trying the 1" Traxda kit and if it does not ride good, then spend the money on a upgraded front coil over setup, just my advice unless you have the +$1000 sitting around.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
EE
I had tire pressure up on the dash on the FX4s I drove (except the first of 4)... all psi to spec. Couldn't tolerate it compared to other mid-size trucks I was looking at... it was inferior even to the Frontier Pro-4X, which is old.

That's why I ended up with a Tremor... its out of the box suspension is properly damped. It's great.
Great! Glad you found what you wanted in your Tremor. Life's too short to not be happy.
Sponsored