First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
not really--they're also overwhelmed on routine oil changes. afaict, it's staffing problems. (the bad sign is when you're at a major dealership with hundreds of cars and there's "the transmission guy" for all of it; sometimes he even covers multiple dealerships and only works certain days.)
But if the transmissions were so good shouldn't he be the loneliness guy like this guy? :wink:

1676992907120.png
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
But if the transmissions were so good shouldn't he be the loneliness guy like this guy? :wink:
Not in the real world. But, more to the point, we have no reason to believe that they're backed up on ranger transmissions--just as likely (maybe more?) that they're still working on a backlog of dual clutches from 10 year old Focuses (Foci?).

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
My Ranger has ~55k. It’s always been clunky from new, particularly when cold. I drive it hard and tow beyond its rated capacity on occasion. I hold the accelerator to the floor through the first 4-6 gears very often, including when I’m towing. It’s a good durable unit so far, even if it’s not ZF8 smooth. It has gotten clunkier as the miles have racked up. I’m guessing fluid shear.

I will be spilling and filling the trans sometime in the next few weeks. No filter replacement until 100k for me. I may use ATF+4, just to experiment. If the viscosity indeed creates worse shift behavior, I’ll spill it again, and use ZF or euro spec LV or ULV fluid.

I’ll report back the honest results, whatever they may be.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My Ranger has ~55k. It’s always been clunky from new, particularly when cold. I drive it hard and tow beyond its rated capacity on occasion. I hold the accelerator to the floor through the first 4-6 gears very often, including when I’m towing. It’s a good durable unit so far, even if it’s not ZF8 smooth. It has gotten clunkier as the miles have racked up. I’m guessing fluid shear.

I will be spilling and filling the trans sometime in the next few weeks. No filter replacement until 100k for me. I may use ATF+4, just to experiment. If the viscosity indeed creates worse shift behavior, I’ll spill it again, and use ZF or euro spec LV or ULV fluid.

I’ll report back the honest results, whatever they may be.
Please do report back. I am thinking of this too. Also, curious as to what the fluid looks like at that mileage.

The thing is that at 1/2 throttle and above (once warm) this transmission shifts like a champ (like you mentioned above). I can't afford tires and speeding tickets to keep that up every day.

OP
OP
MagnetiK

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Please do report back. I am thinking of this too. Also, curious as to what the fluid looks like at that mileage.

The thing is that at 1/2 throttle and above (once warm) this transmission shifts like a champ (like you mentioned above). I can't afford tires and speeding tickets to keep that up every day.
I live in Orange County Ca. It is stop and go with traffic lights at every corner. When I get up in gears it would drive perfect.

OP
OP
MagnetiK

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Not in the real world. But, more to the point, we have no reason to believe that they're backed up on ranger transmissions--just as likely (maybe more?) that they're still working on a backlog of dual clutches from 10 year old Focuses (Foci?).
No the service advisor didn't say they were full of rangers. He said they had torn down transmissions but can't fix them because they can't get the parts. That at that dealership, they were backlogged and were using part of Mazda's facilities next door. Both are Caruso. Don't know if true or not.

OP
OP
MagnetiK

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Update: They started surgery. Asked permission to tear it down because the transmission tech wants to see what's going on in there. Said they updated the pcm but I'm guessing that didn't work.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Update: They started surgery. Asked permission to tear it down because the transmission tech wants to see what's going on in there. Said they updated the pcm but I'm guessing that didn't work.
So your transmission will be waiting for parts as well? I guess I was fortunate my dealer had a new crate transmission on hand...they told me that was a miracle in it self...

OP
OP
MagnetiK

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So your transmission will be waiting for parts as well? I guess I was fortunate my dealer had a new crate transmission on hand...they told me that was a miracle in it self...
I took it to the original dealership where I bought it. Who knows if the parts excuse were true. We'll wait and see what it needs.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I think you may be playing a very expensive game with your transmission with your experiment. Mixing different grades/brands of ATF is never a good idea. Remember dropping the pan only get you maybe half or less of the fluid out. Some fluids may be totally incompatable and gum up the works. It's your transmission, just be willing to pay the price if the experiment fails. Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.

Sleepy_Hollow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
USN
For the most part my trans has been good. I've had my truck on the Ford Performance tune for most of its life. Recently I noticed it seemed delayed shifting from 7 to 8. Also, does everyones kinda clunk going in reverse?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I think you may be playing a very expensive game with your transmission with your experiment. Mixing different grades/brands of ATF is never a good idea. Remember dropping the pan only get you maybe half or less of the fluid out. Some fluids may be totally incompatable and gum up the works. It's your transmission, just be willing to pay the price if the experiment fails. Hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.
He would have to completely flush it (converter and all). The fluid change (to a different type) has been done in the Mustang community with good results.

Sleepy_Hollow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
USN
Wonder if I use my Ford Performance tuner if I can reset it and let it re learn.

OP
OP
MagnetiK

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Yeah I'd be real careful switching fluids. Plus other 10r80 owners have already tried switch brands. Amsoil is said to be too thick and Valvoline seems to be a compatible alternative. Search online.

Has anyone tried "LubeGuard"? It's an additive that supposedly works wonders with just 1-2 ozs added to your current fluid.

Screenshot_20230221_124652_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20230221_124633_Firefox.jpg

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Hopefully they'll give you the details on what's wrong inside. I'm curious if it's the CDF drum issue others have reported. I also don't fully understand how some trucks exhibit worse shift performance than others even if the valve body is changed.
New transmissions are complicated and seems like the OEMs are always struggling to hire and keep good vehicle calibration engineers.
Sponsored