tough getting in the truck bed with tailgate down

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I started this thread almost a year ago and once again this is the best and easiest remedy . I do not want to admit it but the DAMPER DID IT .
Yes! The only legitimate use for a damper on a Ranger. Glad it is working for you, Marty!

Hey Dave (@AzScorpion), I might consider installing a damper when I can no longer hop into the bed with the tailgate down. Will you come to Minnesota and help me install it? I'm thinking maybe in 10-20 years.
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I KNEW the damper would get into this conversation sooner or later ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes! The only legitimate use for a damper on a Ranger. Glad it is working for you, Marty!

Hey Dave (@AzScorpion), I might consider installing a damper when I can no longer hop into the bed with the tailgate down. Will you come to Minnesota and help me install it? I'm thinking maybe in 10-20 years.
Al whenever you're ready I will buy you one and come out (as long as it's not winter) and instal it for you. Then I will video you when you first lower it and you stand there in awe wishing you had done it sooner! ?

Jqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT 2wd
Here is my solution.. hitch mounted step made by BULLY, found in a tractor supply.

Please note that I lengthened the part that attaches to the truck by Welding a bit of 2"square tubing and drilling some extra holes. As it shipped, it only extended past the tailgate when it was straight, about as much as the picture of my extended one shows for when it is angled. And when folded it was about an inch away from the bumper. I can bring it in one hole, but I can't use the original hole because it hits the spare tire.

You could leave it in folded to the side all the time (with a locking pin). I just use it when hauling motorcycles, so I can step into the bed while powering the bike up the ramp.

20210402_120211.jpg
20210402_120223.jpg
20210402_120247.jpg
20210402_120259.jpg
20210402_120307.jpg

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

Al whenever you're ready I will buy you one and come out (as long as it's not winter) and instal it for you. Then I will video you when you first lower it and you stand there in awe wishing you had done it sooner! ?
All's pulling a fast one Dave. He uses this hooked to his back belt loop already, so he'll ALWAYS be able to get in the bed...:angel:
1617454848711.png

What about the atomic wedgy you ask??...:shock::LOL:

RV Tony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I put one of through's Bestop Trekstep on works great. It is a little bit on the dear side

dlow206

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
For anyone who installed the Bestop Trekstep, did you have any issue loosening the bolt in step 1 that needs to be taken out and then re-installed when you install the trekstep?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
For anyone who installed the Bestop Trekstep, did you have any issue loosening the bolt in step 1 that needs to be taken out and then re-installed when you install the trekstep?
I assume your talking about the bolt that holds the bed to the frame. Yeah that one is a real PITA to break loose. Kind of a pain to get back in too. Not a lot of room to work.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I installed mine about a year ago but seem to remember I removed an incorrect bolt. Fyi. My truck wasn't too bad once I removed the correct ones.

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
The big bolt required my 1/2" drive pull handle, along with some extensions and maybe a universal to reach it.

I got to use my Trek Step several times last week and it was money well spent.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I loved the foldout step and grab handle on my 2013 F-150.

For the Ranger I just use the rear tire. If I am at home I have a small ladder.
Sponsored