Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
How old are you?
44year old milkman.

I move about 1500 lbs of product off a truck everynight by hand and load another 5 tons or so by dolly. I am pretty broken.

Works now, maybe an extra step will be in order one day.

There are the fold up tailgate mounted ladders available. I've thought about one for the dogs but it'd make loading over the tailgate a pain.

Another option is a bed slide. I had one in a work truck once that when paired with the topper was awesome.

Martyd

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL,2018 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
retired
44year old milkman.

I move about 1500 lbs of product off a truck everynight by hand and load another 5 tons or so by dolly. I am pretty broken.

Works now, maybe an extra step will be in order one day.

There are the fold up tailgate mounted ladders available. I've thought about one for the dogs but it'd make loading over the tailgate a pain.

Another option is a bed slide. I had one in a work truck once that when paired with the topper was awesome.
Well I'm 78 and that left foot thing doesn't work for me any longer. Thankfully most times I can climb on the rear tire and go over the side. My next thing will probably be my household step stool, something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Co...=1&keywords=step+stool&qid=1617320357&sr=8-15

Plenty of other stuff out there but for now the stool will do. If you move that much stuff around every night you're good for at least another 30 years.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Well I'm 78 and that left foot thing doesn't work for me any longer. Thankfully most times I can climb on the rear tire and go over the side. My next thing will probably be my household step stool, something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Co...=1&keywords=step+stool&qid=1617320357&sr=8-15

Plenty of other stuff out there but for now the stool will do. If you move that much stuff around every night you're good for at least another 30 years.
When I get to point of needing an extra/lower step I'll look at something like this guy...

https://www.bestop.com/products/trekstep-rear-mount-step---19-21-ranger-driver-side/

But it's kinda pricey.

I hope I'm still active enough to be getting in and out of truck beds at 78. I've got a good start so far, just gotta last a few more decades.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I have not tried this, but maybe it would work to climb in the bed with the tailgate up (utilizing the bumper) and then dropping the tailgate while in the bed. A tailgate damper would prevent it from slamming down.
A6F7AB2A-BCA5-4FC0-97EB-2BA7DAB57627.gif

Stevo56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2016 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Occupation
Retired
When I get to point of needing an extra/lower step I'll look at something like this guy...

https://www.bestop.com/products/trekstep-rear-mount-step---19-21-ranger-driver-side/

But it's kinda pricey.

I hope I'm still active enough to be getting in and out of truck beds at 78. I've got a good start so far, just gotta last a few more decades.
I ordered one back in the middle of February. Still being told it's backordered. It was too cold out to install but now that it is warming up it would be nice to have.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Hey, I’m an honest guy. ?? That is the one and only useful purpose for a tailgate damper on a Ranger.

If you have trouble climbing into the bed with the tailgate down, then climb in and lower the tailgate from the bed. It worked great for me and I could also lower the tailgate gently without needing a damper. But for the physically impaired (like current damper owners), by all means install a damper so your tailgate doesn’t slam down. We don’t want Ranger tailgate abuse.

Note that this is a qualification test for all members of the resistance. You have to be able to gently lower the tailgate from inside your Ranger’s bed. If you are currently a damper owner, you should never ever try this maneuver. Dave (@AzScorpion) and Terry (@FoD) have posted countless photos of your atrophied physical condition.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I don't see the problem.

Left hand on bedside. Left foot on corner of bumper left exposed, up you go.
This.

I'm 60 & still in fairly good shape. For how long, well???
I definitely understand if you have physical issues, something to help you
up would be nice.

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Well I'm in my mid 50s and have had three knee operations so I'm no longer able to bend my knees too far anymore unfortunately. Just had an operation in late 2020 too.
I managed to get my tonneau cover installed a couple months ago by sitting on the dropped tailgate and then rolling into the truck. lol
Then I was able to get up from there because my knees don't need to bend as much from that position. It wasn't pretty but I got it done.

Kids...take care of your knees....seriously.

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered one back in the middle of February. Still being told it's backordered. It was too cold out to install but now that it is warming up it would be nice to have.
I ordered mine in December, Received it today. My understanding is that all of the backorders are now shipping directly from the manufacturer. I purchased mine from 4Wheel Parts. I will be installing it today.
Primary reasons for install, my wife is 5" tall and has difficulties climbing, and Me I am simply lazy. So this works well.
Why this one. not in the way when not in use. nothing to lose. permanent and durable, should last the life of the truck. looks to be easy to use.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
A LOT of BesTop stuff is backordered right now. Colorado hit the restrictions pretty hard. Can't manufacture products from home.

Almost dropped the hammer on their SuperTop II for the Ranger but the backorder kept me from it.

This.

I'm 60 & still in fairly good shape. For how long, well???
I definitely understand if you have physical issues, something to help you
up would be nice.
One of these days I'll need some help. But for now I'll keep pretending I'm 20 something.

Well I'm in my mid 50s and have had three knee operations so I'm no longer able to bend my knees too far anymore unfortunately. Just had an operation in late 2020 too.
I managed to get my tonneau cover installed a couple months ago by sitting on the dropped tailgate and then rolling into the truck. lol
Then I was able to get up from there because my knees don't need to bend as much from that position. It wasn't pretty but I got it done.

Kids...take care of your knees....seriously.
Maneuver noted for the inevitable day I need it.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I'm hoping Belltech will have their lowering kit available soon. If it's a reasonable price, all the better. It would help with climbing in the bed, and I would also like to level the truck a bit.

OP
OP
mustang marty

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Hey, I’m an honest guy. ?? That is the one and only useful purpose for a tailgate damper on a Ranger.

If you have trouble climbing into the bed with the tailgate down, then climb in and lower the tailgate from the bed. It worked great for me and I could also lower the tailgate gently without needing a damper. But for the physically impaired (like current damper owners), by all means install a damper so your tailgate doesn’t slam down. We don’t want Ranger tailgate abuse.

Note that this is a qualification test for all members of the resistance. You have to be able to gently lower the tailgate from inside your Ranger’s bed. If you are currently a damper owner, you should never ever try this maneuver. Dave (@AzScorpion) and Terry (@FoD) have posted countless photos of your atrophied physical condition.
I started this thread almost a year ago and once again this is the best and easiest remedy . I do not want to admit it but the DAMPER DID IT .