tough getting in the truck bed with tailgate down

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
I find in tough to get in the bed with tailgate down . Have seen add on rear steps which spring in and out . I also thought of putting a grab handle in the rear area of bed . Any ideas on the subject ? It is easy to get in with the tailgate closed . Just wish the bumper extended more on the sides .
Sponsored

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
There is a step that a few of the members have added and I've thought of buying one myself, but they are a little pricy. There are some threads on this that you can look at and figure out if you think one of them is worth the price.

BeachRanger19

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab Ingot Silver
I added this Raven stand off and my wife uses it as step so she can just make it to the bumper ?

20200416_124839~2.jpg

OP
OP
mustang marty

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
I added this Raven stand off and my wife uses it as step so she can just make it to the bumper ?

20200416_124839~2.jpg
But with the tailgate down we are in trouble.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
There's another thread here about this.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I find in tough to get in the bed with tailgate down . Have seen add on rear steps which spring in and out . I also thought of putting a grab handle in the rear area of bed . Any ideas on the subject ? It is easy to get in with the tailgate closed . Just wish the bumper extended more on the sides .
Have you tried using the rear tires? That's typically what I do, grab the bed side, put your foot on the top of the rear tire, and step up into the bed.

OP
OP
mustang marty

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A happy retired guy
Have you tried using the rear tires? That's typically what I do, grab the bed side, put your foot on the top of the rear tire, and step up into the bed.
Goog
Good idea , I have seen a step that hangs over the tire . You have BETTER IDEA . Just found a DEE ZEE brand bumper side step about $ 70 , it looks ok . The thing might fairly new .

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustang marty

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A happy retired guy

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The DEE ZEE brand at Carid site looks similar for $ 70 but not as rugged and maybe smaller .
That's all I need but looks like it doesn't retract like the more expensive one. Guess you get what you pay for.