First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
Ok friends, most important question regarding this pickup! I have a 6 year old 100lb dog, and now he has to jump much higher than my 2003 Ranger. He can do it now, but I'm sure in some years he won't, it's a high jump man!

I purchased THESE folding stairs, but they didn't really work as the door wouldn't open fully enough to let them get put into place properly. Ended up returning them.

Do any of you have a solution on how you get your doggo's into the pickup?
Sponsored

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I have one of these to get the 120# Rotty Lab mix in, she's 9 and can't get in the truck anymore. Picked it up on Amazon. She only goes in the truck once a month for bath day.

A1ZQzaJwuDL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

Ugly_Betty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Ok friends, most important question regarding this pickup! I have a 6 year old 100lb dog, and now he has to jump much higher than my 2003 Ranger. He can do it now, but I'm sure in some years he won't, it's a high jump man!

I purchased THESE folding stairs, but they didn't really work as the door wouldn't open fully enough to let them get put into place properly. Ended up returning them.

I actually bought those same steps. Had to angle it a bit to get it in there, and tape off a couple of the pivot points to keep from scratching the door panel.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've got big dogs as well. Let them put thier own front in, and then lift the rear in.

Works well for me. Even on the 14 year old Saint we lost last year.

jwoo

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 4x4
Occupation
Pilot
My 6yr old golden retriever could make the jump, but he chooses to use the running board as his first step. He also uses (for some paws) that little bit of floor between the seat and the door. It’s a climbing maneuver for him more than a jumping one.

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
That's kind of what I've been doing, but not sustainable for the long run for me I don't think.

Even on the 14 year old Saint we lost last year.
Really sorry to hear you lost your buddy. Never easy, but 14 is a great long time for a big dog!

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
my 17lb border terrier is another who can make the jump, but doesn't like to. he seems to often hit his head or back on the door, so he's leery of going full send. I'm working on getting him comfortable just hopping up onto the floor and then climbing onto the seat from there. he's getting there, but I've definitely been thinking about how I'll handle it as he ages. he's only 1.5 now, so thankfully that'll be awhile.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
That's kind of what I've been doing, but not sustainable for the long run for me I don't think.

Really sorry to hear you lost your buddy. Never easy, but 14 is a great long time for a big dog!
I get that. I've considered a ramp but haven't jumped on one yet.

She was a tough old bird. Hung in there as long as she could. It's the only shitty part of having dogs around, but the trade off is worth it.

Watching this thread to see what you come up with.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
I had a 7 yo, 3 legged Great Dane about 5 years ago who refused to use steps or a ramp. I had no other choice, but to pick her up to get her in my F150. Wasn't fun!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman

Do you think those stairs would work for the tailgate?

Waiting on my topper so I can transport the pooches in the bed. I've eyeballed those on Amazon. If you could give it a go on the bed sometime as an experiment that'd be great.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4

Had these surgically implanted... work great... AFD
1617320480636.png

Ray_kayak_guy

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
I have a 95 lb Lab rescue - he doesn't like the ramps at all BUT he does like the Pet Loader stairs - rock solid and easy to set up on the back seat and tailgate. https://www.petloader.com/

I have the 5 stair model due to the height of the Ranger. It does get a touch heavy lifting it up and over the tailgate to throw in the back but worth taking him with me.

wrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Cab XLT FX4 HPR, FZ1, KTM 500EXC, MONKEY
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 95 lb Lab rescue - he doesn't like the ramps at all BUT he does like the Pet Loader stairs - rock solid and easy to set up on the back seat and tailgate. https://www.petloader.com/

I have the 5 stair model due to the height of the Ranger. It does get a touch heavy lifting it up and over the tailgate to throw in the back but worth taking him with me.
I bought the same "5 stair model" a couple of years ago for my 88 lb. lab/pit mix rescue. It's a little pricey, but it works great.
Sponsored