(suggestions wanted) Pro Tip: don't let the radio antenna get pulled out of your roof - pictures included!

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
i had an issue nearly the same ( didnt pull out the antenna) but i took it to "dent doctor" 100 bucks & then to the dealer to replace the seal on the antenna that was about 300. cant tell a thing.. looks great
This. A good paintless dent guy can do amazing stuff. They have literally saved me thousands of dollars and saved my factory paint on 3 different cars.
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have one of those on my garage door. The large door is the only door into the garage. If your car is in there an the power is out it you unlock it an pull the chain to get access. I don't have to worry since my Harley an tools take up the whole single garage. If I could fit it after seeing this I'd take zip ties an an tie it loosely to the an the bracket that attaches to the door.

I have a $500 deductible so I don't know if I'd make a claim if I were in your situation. I hit an animal 2 years ago an had to make a claim so I might get my rates raised.

Good luck finding an affordable an quick solution

OP
OP
UnregistredHypercam2

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I have one of those on my garage door. The large door is the only door into the garage. If your car is in there an the power is out it you unlock it an pull the chain to get access. I don't have to worry since my Harley an tools take up the whole single garage. If I could fit it after seeing this I'd take zip ties an an tie it loosely to the an the bracket that attaches to the door.

I have a $500 deductible so I don't know if I'd make a claim if I were in your situation. I hit an animal 2 years ago an had to make a claim so I might get my rates raised.

Good luck finding an affordable an quick solution
I've decided that I'm paying out of pocket either way, my insurance is calling this an at-fault collision which will create some serious hell for me in a couple weeks when I go to register my truck (I just moved halfway across the country a week ago)

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
TL;DR: Garage door had a loose cable hanging from it. Antenna got caught up and ripped the entire antenna assembly from the roof.

Body shops now quoting me anywhere from 1-2k to fix the dent, repaint, and install a new antenna assembly.

If anybody can recommend a body shop in the greater Denver, Colorado area that won't charge an arm and a leg to fix this; please reach out. Insurance wants to code this as an at-fault collision and I'd prefer to avoid this because I have not registered/insured my truck in Colorado yet.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Half of the quoted costs of the repair stem just from labor getting the headliner down due to the amount of trim panels that hold it together.

Here's the cable hanging there mocking me. I just moved into this apartment 1 week ago and they stated this is a new garage door opener. I guess the tech who did the install doesn't care about the finer points of cable management.

dmg2.jpg

Current state of my antenna:
dmg3.jpg

Below you can see the bottom bracket of the antenna assembly, this is attached from inside the roof and somehow was pulled through (likely caused much of the damage above)

dmg4.jpg
Hey, Jon, thanks for posting this. My garage has a similar, nearly identical, hanging cable. Nothing bad has come of it so far, dumb luck, I guess. Will be more careful in future, thanks to you!

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
Why not just tape the wire to garage door? When you need it the wire should pull out of the tape.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Living and learning for sure. The biggest issue I struggle with now is trying to decide if I make an insurance claim or pay out of pocket. I need to register/insure my truck in CO within the next 60 days and a claim will certainly not help, especially considering I am 23. I have an independent collision shop quoting me just under $1k for the repair, and the local Ford dealer is quoting me closer to $2k. As I already owe $500 for the deductible, I am leaning towards the independent repair fully out of pocket.
If you file an insurance claim, I guarantee that you will pay more than the cost of that repair and higher insurance rates for three years. Ask me how I know. I think it would take at least two grand in damages for me to ever claim insurance again.
That's what I'm struggling with at the moment because this idiot typing had his garage door up a little more than halfway and forgot when he got in his truck and tried backing out of the garage.
A dent on the cab just above the rear glass. So glad I did not shatter that window. An inch or two lower and I suppose I would've taken out that rear glass. No estimate yet perhaps today. The damn paint is so thin it chipped right off of there. Doesn't even look like there's any primer under that spot on the right side.
That cable is so you can release the garage door and open it manually in case of a power outage. Thieves take a coat hanger and stick it up through the garage door top and reach in there and hook that and pull it said I can break in your house. They can do it in 10 seconds. A good trick is to put a flimsy cable tie or tape on it tied up high so that they cannot do that but you can pull it quickly in case of a emergency to get out of the house in the event of a power outage. I think there's some tricks on YouTube about that.

Left Side Dent.jpg
Right Side Dent.jpg
Garage Door.PDF.png

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If you file an insurance claim, I guarantee that you will pay more than the cost of that repair and higher insurance rates for three years. Ask me how I know. I think it would take at least two grand in damages for me to ever claim insurance again.
That's what I'm struggling with at the moment because this idiot typing had his garage door up a little more than halfway and forgot when he got in his truck and tried backing out of the garage.
A dent on the cab just above the rear glass. So glad I did not shatter that window. An inch or two lower and I suppose I would've taken out that rear glass. No estimate yet perhaps today. The damn paint is so thin it chipped right off of there. Doesn't even look like there's any primer under that spot on the right side.
That cable is so you can release the garage door and open it manually in case of a power outage. Thieves take a coat hanger and stick it up through the garage door top and reach in there and hook that and pull it said I can break in your house. They can do it in 10 seconds. A good trick is to put a flimsy cable tie or tape on it tied up high so that they cannot do that but you can pull it quickly in case of a emergency to get out of the house in the event of a power outage. I think there's some tricks on YouTube about that.

Left Side Dent.jpg
Right Side Dent.jpg
Garage Door.PDF.png
Ouch.

We've all done silly stuff sometimes. That corner hit looks scary to me. Right on the corner or that C pillar seems like a rough spot to repair.
Good luck!

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
TL;DR: Garage door had a loose cable hanging from it. Antenna got caught up and ripped the entire antenna assembly from the roof.

Body shops now quoting me anywhere from 1-2k to fix the dent, repaint, and install a new antenna assembly.

If anybody can recommend a body shop in the greater Denver, Colorado area that won't charge an arm and a leg to fix this; please reach out. Insurance wants to code this as an at-fault collision and I'd prefer to avoid this because I have not registered/insured my truck in Colorado yet.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Half of the quoted costs of the repair stem just from labor getting the headliner down due to the amount of trim panels that hold it together.

Here's the cable hanging there mocking me. I just moved into this apartment 1 week ago and they stated this is a new garage door opener. I guess the tech who did the install doesn't care about the finer points of cable management.

dmg2.jpg

Current state of my antenna:
dmg3.jpg

Below you can see the bottom bracket of the antenna assembly, this is attached from inside the roof and somehow was pulled through (likely caused much of the damage above)

dmg4.jpg
oopsies!! My suggestion is to go to evergreen and talk to the guys at L&H. That is who I went through when my frontier was getting fixed and the Ford dealer I worked at went through them!! They do very good work!!

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

samsd

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 HPR, 2016 Town and Country, 2004 Road King Custom
Occupation
Retired
the cable is released using a key from the outside of the garage door. You unlock the cable, then pull it to release the garage door opener from the door. It is necessary if there is no other way into the garage. Meaning, no other door. It’s an apartment thing
And now I have learned something, the cable being a way to release the door from the outside and from articles I looked at, they all hang down. Looks very sloppy and should be easy to tie up with zip ties or some type of break away eyelet. It would stay functional and the eyelets or whatever you chose to use could be replaced if you ever had to use the outside lock.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Why not just tape the wire to garage door? When you need it the wire should pull out of the tape.
^^^^ this. I'd tape all the extra to the door. watch it go up and down from inside to see how much slack is actually needed during normal operation. (probably not much, all the pieces are connected until you pull the cord.)

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Living and learning for sure. The biggest issue I struggle with now is trying to decide if I make an insurance claim or pay out of pocket. I need to register/insure my truck in CO within the next 60 days and a claim will certainly not help, especially considering I am 23. I have an independent collision shop quoting me just under $1k for the repair, and the local Ford dealer is quoting me closer to $2k. As I already owe $500 for the deductible, I am leaning towards the independent repair fully out of pocket.
That’s what I would do.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
Reminds me of the 12 seater plane (I think it had that many) I flew from Gitmo to Fort Lauderdale. There was duct tape on all the windows on the inside! They called it 200 mph duck tape. I kid you not!
Cargo pit tape! It is to gaffer tape what gaffer tape is to regular duct tape. Except non-flammable, too. Every flight attendants' station and cockpit has a roll from what I've seen & heard.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Since it is on the roof...
You might consider making a black plastic or rubber escutcheon then mounting the new antenna in the stock location.
You could straighten the sheet metal close to stock and make a nice repair.
Plastic truck mudflap material would be ideal .

Another Idea is to get it fixed without the paint work, then use black paint or vinyl stripe material to make a cosmetic repair around the damaged paint area or even add a stripe of any color across the top.
Maybe none of this is viable but it could get you thinking.
You could even remove the tape later and have the roof actually painted back to stock when it is more convenient.

It might cut the cost to do what some new cars already do and have the roof fixed then painted black (no match needed)
Maybe you can get it fixed under comp with the right explanation.

Probably not but...
If your garage door failure was at fault maybe your homeowner's policy could help??
Sponsored

Last edited: