First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Last year in their attempt to fix a leak the dealer pulled the dash out to replace the HVAC assembly. Well since then it has developed a nasty rattle/squeak at the base of the driver's A-Pillar. It only rattles/squeaks when it's cool. After it has been baking in the sun it won't rattle any more. Looking at the technical manual it looks like there's a clip that may not be secured correctly and that's what's causing the rattle/squeak.

Dash.JPG

I was considering loosening the main bolts securing the dash and pushing on it to see if this clip locks into place. Has anyone pulled the dash out yet? If so how hard was it to secure these clips?
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I thought a few people took theirs part when they installed new stereos. You could look through the electronics/Nav section here and see if you can find the posts. I was thinking you might be able to wedge a small rubber shim in there but I just looked at mine and it's really tight to the A pillar. Hopefully you can find this because I know the smallest squeak or rattle can drive you crazy.

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
I thought a few people took theirs part when they installed new stereos. You could look through the electronics/Nav section here and see if you can find the posts. I was thinking you might be able to wedge a small rubber shim in there but I just looked at mine and it's really tight to the A pillar. Hopefully you can find this because I know the smallest squeak or rattle can drive you crazy.
Thanks for posting that link. I'll check it out and see what I can find.

my dash has never been apart and squeaks when its cold.

many of us early model recipients have enjoyed this problem and i assume its still possible today.

1648603128985.png
I already tried the foam trick from several of these posts for the trim panel on the dash. I even pulled the trim panel along with the A-pillar out and made no difference. :confused: The squeak/rattle is coming from just under the corner of the dash. If I press down fairly hard on the dash in the corner the rattle/squeak stops. That's why I thought it was likely the clip shown.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Hope you can fix the rattle Porpoise Hork. I am about to go through the same thing having the dash removed to fix the warped box. Ugh not looking forward to this at all.
My truck is going in this coming Tuesday to have the same thing fixed. I think I can handle some rattle as opposed to getting blasted with HOT air all the time! haha!

Ok, there better not be any rattle!

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
My truck is going in this coming Tuesday to have the same thing fixed. I think I can handle some rattle as opposed to getting blasted with HOT air all the time! haha!

Ok, there better not be any rattle!
Ha ha! I didn't even notice it till it till we had some warm days, and then it was like what the heck i'm roasting! They already changed the electic part last time i was in for this issue. It worked one time, then it was back to oven mode. Good luck, i hope we get our trucks back squeak free, fingers crossed!

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Ha ha! I didn't even notice it till it till we had some warm days, and then it was like what the heck i'm roasting! They already changed the electic part last time i was in for this issue. It worked one time, then it was back to oven mode. Good luck, i hope we get our trucks back squeak free, fingers crossed!
LOL Yeah that was the same thing for me...I was thinking "Wow the sun really is hot today"! My dealer said they aren't messing around with small parts...they are replacing the entire unit. They said it's a one day job but I have my doubts!

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
LOL Yeah that was the same thing for me...I was thinking "Wow the sun really is hot today"! My dealer said they aren't messing around with small parts...they are replacing the entire unit. They said it's a one day job but I have my doubts!

After reviewing the tech manual, it does look surprisingly easy to pull the dash out. Probably 45-60 minutes for someone who has done it a few times. The only part that I couldn't do is properly shut the SRS system down prior to disconnecting the curtain airbags. That and apparently the steering column bolt is single use and needs to be replaced. I can take it back in but due to scheduling conflicts I'll have to wait a couple weeks in the event they have it for more than a day. When I asked about a loaner they said the wait list is backed up till mid-September. So that's a no-go. I may mess with it this weekend or just live with it will I can drop it off again.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
I hope so. I hope the part was updated or made by a better vendor, whatever. Would think based on the amount of service calls for this issue on the forum alone would suggest this has been an issue for many. :inspect:

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Finally got tired of the mystery rattle/squeak that only happened when it was cool. Ran my borescope up under the driver's side of the dash to find this.

Dash rattle.jpg

This is one of two retainer clips along the dash/firewall. These clips are about 3" in from the A-Pillars on each side of the dash. The passenger side is properly sated where this one (driver's side) is sitting on top of the mounting tab. This clip is bouncing on the tab when driving creating the rattle/squeak. I shot a video of it but they said that in order to fix it they needed to actually hear it that Ford does not consider video footage as proof of a rattle... ?

It took a couple trips to the dealer and finally grabbing the shop foreman to have him ride with me when it was cool enough. Sure enough this morning with him in the truck, it started to rattle/squeak and he confirmed that he heard it and not only was it very annoying but when seeing the picture that they will likely need to pull the dash out completely to replace that clip. He did say that he'll make sure they run their borescope up on both sides after it's back in to verify both clips are properly seated.

So hopefully by the end of today/tomorrow this god awful rattle/squeak will finally be fixed. ??

OP
OP
Porpoise Hork

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Well it took them a week to finally fix it but so far so good. Not a single rattle/squeak.

The shop foreman who rode with me said he was going to push it through last Thursday. Didn't happen. Then they were going to get it done Friday.. Huge parts order came in and he got side-tracked receiving all the deliveries since many were for repairs that have been waiting for months. (Way to go Ford) They finally got to it on Monday and then wanted to keep it one more day to test drive it in the same conditions I replicated the rattle. So by 10 AM yesterday no word from them I called and was told they were still working on it. I about lost my shit over that and told the service manager that either the truck needs to be ready for pickup or I was going to rent a car and submit the bill to them because they literally sat on it for days doing absolutely nothing.

30 minutes later they call and the truck is ready but they wanted to send it through make-ready to get it all cleaned up.

I'll probably run my borescope up under the dash this weekend just to make sure the clips are properly seated. More to satisfy my own curiosity than anything else.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Parts finally came in to replace hvac box. Scheduled to go in for repair on monday. Dealership has no loaners, so i have to go rent a car, which sucks. They are going to reimburse me but it is still a hassle. Supposed to be a 2 day repair, hope so.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Well it took them a week to finally fix it but so far so good. Not a single rattle/squeak.

The shop foreman who rode with me said he was going to push it through last Thursday. Didn't happen. Then they were going to get it done Friday.. Huge parts order came in and he got side-tracked receiving all the deliveries since many were for repairs that have been waiting for months. (Way to go Ford) They finally got to it on Monday and then wanted to keep it one more day to test drive it in the same conditions I replicated the rattle. So by 10 AM yesterday no word from them I called and was told they were still working on it. I about lost my shit over that and told the service manager that either the truck needs to be ready for pickup or I was going to rent a car and submit the bill to them because they literally sat on it for days doing absolutely nothing.

30 minutes later they call and the truck is ready but they wanted to send it through make-ready to get it all cleaned up.

I'll probably run my borescope up under the dash this weekend just to make sure the clips are properly seated. More to satisfy my own curiosity than anything else.

But, good luck with that. You'd be hard pressed to get them to agree on a rental. This is the new way of repairs, warranty or not. Leave the truck there so they look at it when they have time. Then leave it there until they can fix it.

I'm glad you finally got it fixed. Seems like you had to diagnose the problem for them.

irv0735

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Glad they finally got you dialed in, but what a pain! I'm at a point where I demand loaners or rental cars for all warranty work... Dealers seem to just have too much going on and expect people to be fine without their vehicle for extended periods. One day always seems to turn into more.
Sponsored