Truck won't get out of 4 High

Nax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Snowed the other day so I put the truck in 4 High. I turned it off when I pulled into the parking garage, however, it was shaking on sharp turns suggesting that it was still in 4 high. After parking the truck and turning it off/on it was back to normal. Is there something special I have to be doing to get out of 4 high? All the lights were suggesting it was in 2WD.
Sponsored

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You're not supposed to have to do anything special, but if you never allow any slack in your driveline, it can't shift out. Next time you have trouble, slip it into neutral at a very slow roll (1-2mph). Let it roll backwards slightly if still necessary. That should do it.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You're not supposed to have to do anything special, but if you never allow any slack in your driveline, it can't shift out. Next time you have trouble, slip it into neutral at a very slow roll (1-2mph). Let it roll backwards slightly if still necessary. That should do it.
I've also found that just backing up 5-10' will do it as well. I can usually feel it disengage.

cclayton

First Name
Collin Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I've also found that just backing up 5-10' will do it as well. I can usually feel it disengage.
X2.
Since my first truck a 1985 GMC 4x4, I have always backed up 10’-20’ after disengaging 4x4. I’ve never had one act as if it was still engaged.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Most times I've never had to back up. The Ranger generally shifts itself fine. If I left it in 4x4 when I parked it, backing out of the space the next drive ensured everything uncoupled
The F150s I had were more prone to it and on a couple occasions I had to make an effort to uncouple 4x4. But it was never an issue
I have rarely had to back up as well. Generally speaking, just letting off the gas when you switch from 4H to 2H is good enough.

Jon S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
Yeah I agree, sometime you had to back up a few feet to disengage 4WD. This also used to be used to adjust rear brakes. If no luck it could be electronic since it is a "drive by wire system" Hope this helps.
Sponsored