First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Here’s a tip to take the “toothpicks in the door hinge hole” trick to a new level….

Drill 3/8” holes into the door jamb where the stripped screw holes are.
Squirt some wood glue in there - spread it around with an awl or screwdriver.
Spread some wood glue on the end of 3/8” wood dowel.
Insert the dowel as far as it will go.
Cut dowel off flush to the jamb with an oscillating tool or other fine saw.
Repeat for the remaining holes.
Let the glue dry for several hours.
Drill 1/8” pilot holes in the centre of the dowel ends.
Mount the door, using door hinge screws.

? ? ?‍♂
That's the best way to do it and a more permanent fix. We use to have so many stripped holes when we took the doors off for painting. I always had a box of toothpicks and some wood glue which a quick fix for us as we had limited time. I swear thee guys never set the drill speed and use the clutch they just let it go full bore.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That's the best way to do it and a more permanent fix. We use to have so many stripped holes when we took the doors off for painting. I always had a box of toothpicks and some wood glue which a quick fix for us as we had limited time. I swear thee guys never set the drill speed and use the clutch they just let it go full bore.
I got a Milwaukee 1/4 M18 driver. The torque on that thing you got to be careful with! Even on the lowest settings. We were snapping off stainless #10 torx flathead screws like they were toothpicks

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
My PPE Pan arrived today and yep my instructions are incorrectly printed as well.
Mine has been sitting on the shelf for several months. I opened the box and sure enough, the instructions are wrong! I blacked out the incorrect info and wrote in the correct torque specs since I won't be installing the pan for a while. At my advanced age, I would likely forget about this important information.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so this may have already been mentioned.....
When torquing multiple small bolts like this on something with a gasket, it's more important that that they're all equally torqued, than it is being torqued to a certain pressure. Torque them all at 10, then 15. Add your fluid, check for leaks. If no leaks, just leave it.
That's how it used to be done, torquing everything in sight is new trend in training mechanics to keep their speed up.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Here’s a tip to take the “toothpicks in the door hinge hole” trick to a new level….

Drill 3/8” holes into the door jamb where the stripped screw holes are.
Squirt some wood glue in there - spread it around with an awl or screwdriver.
Spread some wood glue on the end of 3/8” wood dowel.
Insert the dowel as far as it will go.
Cut dowel off flush to the jamb with an oscillating tool or other fine saw.
Repeat for the remaining holes.
Let the glue dry for several hours.
Drill 1/8” pilot holes in the centre of the dowel ends.
Mount the door, using door hinge screws.

? ? ?‍♂
Thats a hell of a toothpick!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I got a Milwaukee 1/4 M18 driver. The torque on that thing you got to be careful with! Even on the lowest settings. We were snapping off stainless #10 torx flathead screws like they were toothpicks
Most of these were new homes so they came that way from the factory/lumber yard. Although sometimes the carpenters have to remove them and these guys never check their setting from the last time they use their gun. Not a fun job when they're 8' solid core doors and you're only 5'7" trying to balance it on your foot while another tries to screw the hinges on. lol

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Most of these were new homes so they came that way from the factory/lumber yard. Although sometimes the carpenters have to remove them and these guys never check their setting from the last time they use their gun. Not a fun job when they're 8' solid core doors and you're only 5'7" trying to balance it on your foot while another tries to screw the hinges on. lol
Rookies, Pfffft.

Put this under the door and pump it with your foot.

9C0E7585-5999-49A1-AC9F-59FF82E4A3BC.jpeg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Dave, too many homes have cheap, pre-hung doors on inferior MDF jambs. They are way too easy to strip, especially if the drill clutch isn’t properly set.

Builders can save a lot on those doors, but in the end, quality matters. I see a lot of this in condos too. MDF baseboards, window trim, door casings, you name it. It’s too bad really. :(

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
FWIW torque specs are determined using oil free surfaces, with oily surfaces you should torque targeting the lower spec.

BTW I like the zip tie idea!! I’m thinking using the start taper should be located where you start the bolt thread maybe I missed it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thanks Dave, too many homes have cheap, pre-hung doors on inferior MDF jambs. They are way too easy to strip, especially if the drill clutch isn’t properly set.

Builders can save a lot on those doors, but in the end, quality matters. I see a lot of this in condos too. MDF baseboards, window trim, door casings, you name it. It’s too bad really. :(
I'm really glad I'm at the end of my career and not just starting out. Before I left MA things were starting to get worse as a lot of the "old timers" were retiring. I talk to the guy who bought my business all the time and he's pulling what little hair he has out because now they've all retired and the new ones just don't care about quality anymore.

Even out here it's almost impossible to find someone who does good work and has good reviews. I've been wanting to do the whole house over in LVP flooring for a while now. We were at the home show today at the stadium and I looked up the reviews from all the ones I talked to (4) and they ALL have 1-2 stars for reviews. ?‍♂ So now I have to cancel 2 appointments and I'll probably just live with it seeing as I have for the last 11 years.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Next time just go German spec!!

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
Mine has been sitting on the shelf for several months. I opened the box and sure enough, the instructions are wrong! I blacked out the incorrect info and wrote in the correct torque specs since I won't be installing the pan for a while. At my advanced age, I would likely forget about this important information.
I wouldn't use the 8 -10 ft/lbs in their online instructions either. I would use the shop manual specs.
Sponsored