Retired mechanical designer

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Ah, but they did say they don't like Windows 10 and can't license 7 anymore so they are looking to port to Linux and MacOS next. It's just not "high priority."

"But in middle-long term perspective we plan to port FORScan to other platforms. We are not happy with Windows 10 at all, and Microsoft doesn't allow to license Windows 7 anymore. So we consider Linux and MacOS as next targets for porting. FORScan was initially designed as a cross-platform project so porting to a new platform will only take several dev/months (that's too much for us anyway)."
But there's almost nothing else out there, at least beyond running a VM. I haven't followed the project closely, but it feels like old school proprietary free software written and maintained primarily by one person, which is Alexey Savin in this case. Sort of sounds like he outsourced the iOS and Android work, which is why he charges for it. Compared to win desktop alternatives, those platforms make more sense to invest in. Just my interpretation of course.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I have enabled traffic sign recognition via forscan. Not perfect but it works pretty well. It’s nice to have a little speed limit reminder when in unfamiliar areas.

It does not automatically affect cruise control settings in any way.
Can you tell us how/where to enable it?

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious how exactly the vehicle is able to read and detect a speed limit sign. I wasn't aware these had cameras on them like that.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm curious how exactly the vehicle is able to read and detect a speed limit sign. I wasn't aware these had cameras on them like that.
I believe it's the camera behind the rear view mirror. That's how my BMW worked.

What I'm curious about is how it handles highways where the speed limit says 70 and then there's another sign that says Trucks 60 (but the part that says 60 is same size as the 70 sign

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
What I'm curious about is how it handles highways where the speed limit says 70 and then there's another sign that says Trucks 60 (but the part that says 60 is same size as the 70 sign
If it's like our CX-5, it will show the truck speed limit for a short time and then revert back fairly quick. It does the same thing in school zones.

I now need to figure out how to do this on my Ranger. I have all the tools, just lacking courage.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
hmm. so maybe I should change out the sign in front of my house.

1627406571505.png

gasmanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT FX4, '19 Beetle Final Edition
Occupation
Gas leak inspector
I believe it's the camera behind the rear view mirror. That's how my BMW worked.

Mine will display whatever it sees last, including the ones after those that say "Minimum 40MPH".

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Mine will display whatever it sees last, including the ones after those that say "Minimum 40MPH".
John does yours display the Euro speed limit style (round) or US style

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I enabled it on my 21 Lariat via Forscan. It's pretty good, but not always accurate. It's a fun feature but I'd definitely trust the speed limits displayed on your navigation unit. It has helped me when driving through construction areas though, but on regular streets around me it sometimes reads the wrong limit.

gasmanjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XLT FX4, '19 Beetle Final Edition
Occupation
Gas leak inspector

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Euro style unfortunately.
Thats what I thought.
I keep meaning to do compare 2020/21 settings to 2019. I strated doing this, but got busy....
Sponsored