First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
So Fox 2.0 or 4600's.... On rear to start upgrade?
Bite the bullet and do all four corners at once-you won’t be sorry.?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DapperDean

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
There’s a difference between a 21st century TRUCK and a 20th century TRUCK. Unfortunately the current Ranger’s architecture is from the Pleistocene era. The next gen will solve this.

I love my TRUCK but as many people have stated here, Ford cheaped out on the shocks which exacerbates the problem. There’s a reason that this Ranger is an also-ran in the midsize TRUCK marketplace.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Question Damper Dean? If the Ranger was a 20th Century truck, why did you buy one?

OP
OP
DapperDean

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Because I moved to Asheville from NYC (where I had no vehicle) in the first month of the pandemic and hadn't had enough test drives to really get how poorly it rides. I basically deflated the tires for the first year to make it better. I looked into selling it a year agpo, but there was nothing to buy. Now there is.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Ouch.... Better set my budget then...
I wonder if it’s be cheaper to buy an assembled strut/coil . Might save some labor and end up with a better spring?

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
There’s a difference between a 21st century TRUCK and a 20th century TRUCK. Unfortunately the current Ranger’s architecture is from the Pleistocene era. The next gen will solve this.
Question. What do you think will change with the 6G? You'll get coil-overs, with lower towing and payload on the Raptor version.. but ancient straight axle and leaves on the regular models.

Leaf springs vs coils

Frank

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I love my TRUCK but as many people have stated here, Ford cheaped out on the shocks which exacerbates the problem. There’s a reason that this Ranger is an also-ran in the midsize TRUCK marketplace.
[/QUOTE]
Everyone complains that Ford "cheaped out" on everything. Why not better stereo, navigation, mirrors seats, and this and that and the other thing. But nobody bought the more expensive vehicles that has all the crap that you were not aware was not on this truck.
What vehicles have the capabilities of the Ranger that fix and/or include all the things Ford did wrong or left out are out there for the price you paid for your Ranger? Without a test drive.
Seems we all want Mercedes quality and quantity for Kia prices.
When you find it post it here so I can get myself one or maybe two.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Lariat Sport 4x4 with the stock 18 inch all-terrain tires and of course the ancient solid rear axle with leaf springs. I’m tired of the jarring ride! Is there any combo of suspension parts and/or tires that can soak up bad pavement?
Put some aftermarket rear shocks on that thing and it will change your life..... :wink:

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The Tremor rides almost as well as any full size truck I’ve owned, straight from the factory. No complaints here.
Agree but the Tremor was not an option until the last half of 2021 or so.
The Tremor does have the shocks and tires upgraded very similar to what most of us end up doing anyway. However, the DIY cost of shocks and new tires is still likely much less than the additional cost of the Tremor package. That said, if I could have ordered a Tremor in Oct '20 when I ordered my Ranger, I probably would have gone with the Tremor package ;)

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Check several places for pricing on the front strut install as I've seen it all over the place from members here.

It cost me $250 to get my fronts installed and also have several ForScan modifications performed.

Add in $89 for a full alignment and I'm still <$350.

If you're in Asheville, you're less than 2 hours from the shop that did mine.

I can send you their info if you like.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
change out the shocks and the truck will ride loads better! i liked how mine road from the factory but i hated when it hit a bump and the rear would jump up and hit me in the back... so i swapped everything to the eibach 2.0 kit and so far i like it. the ride is stiff but planted and seems to handle good with everything i do and it was cheaper so when ever i eventually swap it (which i will...) it wont hurt as bad haha

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Agree but the Tremor was not an option until the last half of 2021 or so.
The Tremor does have the shocks and tires upgraded very similar to what most of us end up doing anyway. However, the DIY cost of shocks and new tires is still likely much less than the additional cost of the Tremor package. That said, if I could have ordered a Tremor in Oct '20 when I ordered my Ranger, I probably would have gone with the Tremor package ;)
Pretty sure rear springs are unique also

Reactions: EJH

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Pretty sure rear springs are unique also
Yes.

The standard Ranger rear spring is a monoleaf.

The Tremor has a multi-leaf pack (5 leafs I believe).

I put Tremor leafs on the rear of my truck (already had Bilsteins) and it did improve ride and handling.

Edit: Just looked at the pics in my swap thread and they are 4 leaf.

img_1670-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored