My 2021 501A Lariat Tremor and Add-on Product Review(s)

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to my 2021 Ranger and add-on review.

You can also check out my Showcase. For more photos, check out Look at my Ranger parked next to stuff.

Post #8, has all the instructions for all my add-on's. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

First a bit of background. This is my third truck. The first was a new 1999 Mazda B3000 regular cab 4x4. Or I suppose, a better looking third generation Ranger. The B3000 was lower priced than the Ranger at the time, and had a far better looking grille. I got a lot of great use out of it. Five years in, and I had a three inch body life put on. I ran 31" BFG M+S for a few years, before I added 33" M+S. I don't seem to have any photos running the 33"s. I had it until March 2011.

Taken the first week. First vehicle, first new vehicle, and first truck.
Mazda_B3000_1.jpg

Five years later and three inches higher.
Mazda_B3000_2.jpg

Twelve years later, it was time to move up. The Ford Ranger in 2011 was a dead truck, and what it was, wasn't getting great reviews. So the '99 Mazda, was traded in on a new Second Generation, 2011 Toyota Tacoma, TRD Off Road in March of 2011. Great truck for what it was. Big upgrade over the B3000. Lot's of off road goodies. Lots of things to like, and not to like. The switch combinations, and placement were not great. I'm only 5' 10", and this truck had horrible seating. But considering what was out there, it was what it was. I had an Icon spring pack added to the rear, and had Bilstein 6112's in the front. I had added the old school TOYOTA lettering to the tailgate, and a few other small things, as well as running 32" General Grabbers AT, and the new BFG KO2. Good for what it was, and if it wasn't for a winter mishap, I'll still be in it.

Second vehicle, second new vehicle, and second truck.

One of the only old school tailgates running around my neck of the woods. I also swapped out the TRD decals for the older style.
2012_New_Bedside_and_Tailgate_Decals_003.jpg

With the added TRD skid plate.
Skid_Plate7.jpg

So with the Tacoma down, what was I going to get. After 11 years of the Tacoma, I didn't think I would want another. I had watched the Ranger release in 2019, and it was in the running. And looking around it was going to be the truck. I discovered the Tremor package, and I had to have it. All the mods I've done in the past, from factory. Great truck. I have nothing but good things to say about it. From seating to button/control placement, and ease of use. So what could I do to improve it, or "make it mine".

Third vehicle, third new vehicle, and third truck.

As part of my purchase I added the Ford Trailer Brake Controller Kit - Ford (VKB3Z-2C006-A). Once it came it, my dealer installed it.

I have no review of this yet.

Big shout-out to Benny of LevittownFordParts.com. Items I got from him were:

License Bracket - Ford (KB3Z-17A385-A), easy install, and helps to be seen.
IMG_2312.JPG

Engine Cover - Ford (L1MZ-6A949-A), easy install, looks great, and does provide a small bit of noise damping.
IMG_2311.JPG

Lumen TouchLink Bed Lighting Kit - (VKB3Z-13E754-A). A friend helped me install these. My truck came with the drop-in liner (KB3Z-9900038-AB). I thought about replacing it, but have grown to appreciate it for what it is. My B3000 had one, and it never gave me trouble. Here it's great, as all of the add-ons which would require drilling, just go into the liner. No cutting or drilling of the bed steel. The wiring was attached to the wiring already running to the engine bay, so it's a bit neater than the instructions.
IMG_2306.JPG

Next is the Boxtamer; a product from Canada. It's cleaner looking than a 2"x10", lighter and will hold up to warping. It's not for everyone, but I like it, so I'm fine. I do recommend it.
IMG_2304.JPG

The one issue I had, was the curve in the drop-in liner. I designed a shim, and had a co-worker make me one from a dense non-water absorbing hardwood. It was then coated in bed liner, to match the Boxtamer brackets. Anyone looking to do this, can reach out and I'm more than happy to provide the shim spec drawings.
IMG_2305.JPG

The next add-on was a 12V power port from ebay seller Bilkoauto. Where I have a drop-in liner, his power port assembly caused an issue. It didn't fit. After some back and forth, we have a working, well made 12V assembly which is fitted to work for those with a drop-in. Great guy to work with. I can't recommend him enough.
IMG_2310.JPG

Next was the tonneau. On my B3000, I had a local truck shops hard fiberglass strut model. When closed it covered the tailgate. Heavy, and if water got into the lock, you were locked out of your truck. On the Tacoma, I had a Extang Tri-Fold. Not a bad cover. You had to watch it in the winter, as the foam rubber side seals would freeze to the bed-rails. And unless you want to rip them apart, you left the cover down. But you could access the bed, by dropping the tailgate.

To be Continued...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
To be Continued...
For the Ranger I went with the BAK Revolver X4s. For the Drop-in liner owners. You will have to do some trimming after you add the suplamental clamp stays. Overall great cover (so far), and I do recommend it.
IMG_2307.JPG

And the last couple of items, and custom and to really make it mine.

I had two Raptor style, but Tremor font 3D emblems made. One went on the tailgate where you would find the Raptor emblem on the ROW Ranger, and the other went on the dash. These were made by Etsy seller is PiecesQuebec3D.
IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

The last item is a spec plate. What is shown is a paper mock-up. I hope to have this printed on vinyl and added soon.
IMG_2309.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
box tamer huh?
had no idea anyone made those.
i just use a 2x6 or a 2x8
I thought about that. I used 2"x4" in my B3000, but just wanted something clean looking, and the keep things where I put them. Like I said not for everyone. Fool and his money, and all that.

Frank

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
something cool about that mazda on those BFG tires thats just timeless cool. a regular cab sitting up ready to go. thats the look I was after when I ended up with my 2021 , but anything of that vintage or style was either beat to hell, had a zillion hard miles or smelled like a homeless encampment.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Lumen TouchLink Bed Lighting Kit - (VKB3Z-13E754-A). A friend helped me install these. My truck came with the drop-in liner. I thought about replacing it, but have grown to appreciate it for what it is. My B3000 had one, and it never gave me trouble. Here it's great, as all of the add-ons which would require drilling, just go into the liner. No cutting or drilling of the bed steel. The wiring was attached to the wiring already running to the engine bay, so it's a bit neater than the instructions.
IMG_2306.JPG
How do you like the Lumen TouchLink Bed Lighting Kit? That is the one I am looking at currently?

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the Lumen TouchLink Bed Lighting Kit? That is the one I am looking at currently?
I have no issues. The instructions are clear. The install was longer than Lumen said it would be, but overall smooth. They come on, and go off as advertised. I haven't tested the 1 hour auto-off, they are supposed to have built in; where they are direct to the battery, could be a drain issue if left on with no auto-off. I had thought about hooking them into the upfitter fuse box, but didn't bother.

Frank

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
PDF copies (video, etc.) of the various installation instructions. Will keep upto date as items are added.

Frank

HSig.png

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Brochures from my trucks.

I'm sure the Ranger, and Tremor ones are all over the forum, but just to be consistent.

Frank

Attachments

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
I thought give an update on several items, which are new, or missed from my original posting.

Again thanks to Benny of LevittownFordParts.com.

Items I received from Levittown Ford were:

Wheel Center Cap - Ford Performance Parts (M-1096K-RA)
Genuine Ford Bed Tie Down Hook Kit - Levittown Ford Parts (RANGERBEDHOOKKIT)

IMG_2315.JPG

I have no photos of the tie down kit, as it's a tie down kit. If you don't want to buy from Levittown Ford (and why wouldn't you?), you can order the below from any Ford dealer:

Tie Down Hook - Ford (KB3Z-21550A74-A) x 2
Tie Down Hook Bolt - Ford (-W505594-S450B) x 4

The center caps are the ones for the Raptor wheels. I thing they look great, as other than the center caps, the Tremor uses the same wheels. And for the older crew, it does have a passing resemblance to old school manually locking hubs.

To replace the center caps, I used a 2" section dent puller. Being in Canada, I got my from Princess Auto. I'm sure Harbour Freight has something similar, for the US folks. Just attach, and pull. No issues, and no damage.

2 pc 2 in. Suction Cups.PNG

The two items, I hadn't mentioned previously, were:

Trailer Hitch Receiver Cover Cap - Ford (1L2Z-17F000-CA), which you can get from any dealer including Levittown Ford; which I hadn't been acquainted with yet, so I used Amazon. Great to keep the dirt, crap and corruption out, until you need your receiver.

IMG_2317 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

The other was the Vesul Center Console Organizer. This was also ordered from Amazon. Standard photo from it's sell page. Works well. I would recommend it.

Screenshot 2022-08-14 at 11-37-18 Vesul Center Console Organizer Compatible with Ford Ranger 2...png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Nice sill plates, thing the front woud fit on the back?

Thanks,
LB
I'll measure it out tomorrow, but I don't think so. If you reversed sides; FL as RR, than maybe. It's due to the molded curve.

Frank

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
This week I added something I didn't think I would end up getting, and something I was sure I would be.

I picked up and added the Ford OEM (Dee Zee) tailgate dampener. Quick install, works great. Not much more to say.

Tailgate Damper - Ranger 2019-2023 (VKB3Z-99406A10-A)

20221028_163503.jpg

The second item was the Redline Goods, leather parking brake boot. A big shout-out @quangdog for his great Youtube video on the removal of the OEM, swapping the boot frame to the new boot and re-installation. I even used his recommended glue E-6000; which can be found at any Wal-Mart, or Amazon. If you can wait, go to to @quangdog Youtube video and use his affiliate links.

2019-22 FORD RANGER EBRAKE BOOT
20221028_163428.jpg

It was when I took off the boot that I was able to discover an issue, which I've seen a few people on here talk about. The handle seems to want to lift up, causing the ebrake light to come on.

There is a tensioner nut (10mm), which seemed to be lose on mine, and it seems to be many others, based on the amount of times I've seen it mentioned. But with no fix.

So here is the fix. You'll need a long 10mm socket, and an extension. Lower your handle, and ratchet the nut until it's just tight enough to keep the handle down.

Sorry no photos or videos from me. But after telling my wife about it, some eavesdrop device in my home did me a solid, and Youtube video appeared in my feed this morning from an ROW Ranger owner. Same process.

And as a 8 month, 16,000km review of the Ranger; best truck I've had! Well mannered and very compliant on the highway and the sometimes winding secondary roads we like to travel on the weekends. Fuel consumption is averaging 10.8 l/100km. I have nothing but good things to say about this truck. In fairness, there are always somethings that aren't perfect; case in point, the brake boot. But a minor thing, really. I would recommend this truck (at least a Lariat, or the Tremor package) to a friend.

I'll do a full in-depth 1 year review in another 4 months.

Frank

Last edited:

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Hey Frank - I'm glad my video was useful, and that you have your new boot installed. Great tip on dealing with parking brakes handles that need a bit of adjustment! I noticed the adjustment mechanism when I did my boot, but my handle came adjusted correctly from the factory, so I didn't mess with it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
This week I added something I didn't think I would end up getting, and something I was sure I would be.

I picked up and added the Ford OEM (Dee Zee) tailgate dampener. Quick install, works great. Not much more to say.

Tailgate Damper - Ranger 2019-2023 (VKB3Z-99406A10-A)

20221028_163503.jpg
d7cffaaf124137491b7ded538a2847d7.jpg
Sponsored