First Name
DigDug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
POTUS
Hey, thought I would let anyone who's interested know that it's pretty easy to relocate the rooftop antenna a little further forward if needed.

My reason for relocating the antenna was because it got covered by my new rooftop tent as part of my overland build.

I have a 2021 Ranger Tremor with rolltop tonneau cover over the bed and an integrated rack that the rooftop tent attaches to. The tent extends over the cab about 6 or 8 inches past the antenna.

I unscrewed the AM/FM whip to see if I could still get Satellite signal, and although I could, it was spotty at best. So I decided to relocate the antenna further forward because I've come to like having Satellite radio in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I was able to move the antenna forward to about mid-cabin and use the existing cables without any modification or extensions. I did need to undo a few cable clips so I could reroute the cables to the new location though, but I repurposed them for the new routing.

The biggest effort was getting the headliner unattached - I followed this video to get it down enough to do the work.

I used a step-up bit to drill the hole in the new location and a small file to square it up for the unique shape of the antenna connector plug.

I also placed 1/2 of pipe insulation foam (looks like a grey pool noodle) so there wouldn't be any vibration or rattle from the cable on the headliner.

The only thing I would warn against is trying to move the antenna too far forward. Because if you do, the existing cables aren't long enough, and you'll need to do some custom cable sections to bridge the gap.

That's about it, just wanted to let folks know it can be done - since I didn't see anything posted anywhere - I figured I wasn't the only one needing to relocate the antenna.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Probably just me. But no matter the mod once I see "roof liner" I'm out. Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

And drilling a hole in my truck?! Nope. Think I'd be physically ill.

Last edited:

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Pics will help us, new location installed and what you did with the oem hole?

Honestly if I was to ever move mine it would be completely off the roof. I had to have an alluminum adapter made that changes the antenna angle down and back and then the stubby antenna screws onto that. My lift required this due to only having a 6.5 foot garage door.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Pics will help us, new location installed and what you did with the oem hole?

Honestly if I was to ever move mine it would be completely off the roof. I had to have an alluminum adapter made that changes the antenna angle down and back and then the stubby antenna screws onto that. My lift required this due to only having a 6.5 foot garage door.
Duke, are ya sad because I only have a 6.5 ft door? I am! But didn't want to spend a ton on labor just to raise the header plus the trusses

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Duke, are ya sad because I only have a 6.5 ft door? I am! But didn't want to spend a ton on labor just to raise the header plus the trusses
That’s exactly why - I’m in the same situation. I had to test drive a Ranger from a nearby dealer to make sure it would fit in my garage before I drove to the out of town dealer I bought it from. Wider, taller, longer, than I thought it would be but it fits.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Probably just me. But no matter the mod once I see "roof liner" I'm out. Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

And drilling a hole in my truck?! Nope. Think I'd be physically ill.
Back in 1978 I bought a sunroof at the swap meet and cut the roof to install. No leaks.
Sponsored