Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
The safest place to do the add in harness in their mind was where there are only 3 wires in the connection, that only exists at the 3rd brake light. Yes, there are wires at the BCM you could tap to connect this but that is not a warrantable install as it's not by the book. What really gets me is that they had the foresight to have the high amperage 12V and the brake controller output to the 7 pin there, but no loose connection or even a plug with a single wire for the brake light signal to the controller. It's like whoever designed the truck's tow package part of the harness it just looked at the non-ACC model and planned on using an inline connector on the brake pedal or something.

As for the install price, the accessory site shows the install at $210, I think that was only $100 when I bought it. So, in theory if you order it on the accessory site to a dealer that you can select for install from parts bought there, you should be able to get that price.
1660359591736.png
Dealer I had my package delivered to subtracted the $100 from the final install cost.
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, it doesn't take that long. Took me about the same time as you. Did you have issues with the connectors that where in the kit not wanting to click together at the third brake light?
They did get to the point that I thought the wires were going to break before they clicked in. They did eventually go but it was a little harrowing when I was putting it together, but that's common for those kinds of connectors.

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I agree, it doesn't take that long. Took me about the same time as you. Did you have issues with the connectors that where in the kit not wanting to click together at the third brake light?
I did. Mine is a 2019 and the day before we were to leave for our trip, I installed the controller. The connectors worked on one end, but not the other. I wasn't able to get the wires to stay in and the grey connectors broke when I pushed too hard. I was pissed so I cut off the factor connects and wired everything direct. Works fine. The connectors are junk.

Last edited:
Reactions: EJH

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have a brand new controller if anyone wants to buy it at a discount. My first order was lost and with my trip quickly approaching, I purchased a 2nd one and had it shipped overnight. Of course the first one showed up the next day, thus now I have two. The only thing missing is the grey wire connectors. The kit comes with both grey and black and my truck called for the grey ones. As I posted above, the grey connector broke when I tried forcing the wires in. When the first grey connector broke, I took the grey connectors from the 2nd kit and tried those. Those too broke and that is when I decided to just cut off the factor connectors and wire direct.

This was last summer and I only recently found the other kit in my garage. it's still in the box and has never been installed or used.

Therefore, I have a brand new controller with the black clips only. I paid $300. for the kit. PM me if interested and make me an offer.

1665523304264.png

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
I'm still considering if I want to pay the extra 1-200 bucks for the OEM unit as an infrequent tower especially since I don't have ACC, sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere but I have noticed some installs grounding to frame using the screw under the kick panel and others just crimping the ground the provided white wire I believe.

Is there something I am missing here?

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I'm still considering if I want to pay the extra 1-200 bucks for the OEM unit as an infrequent tower especially since I don't have ACC, sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere but I have noticed some installs grounding to frame using the screw under the kick panel and others just crimping the ground the provided white wire I believe.

I think if you have the automatic emergency braking, the ford OEM branded version would be worth the additional safety factor.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

You may not have ACC, but you do have pre-collision w/ automatic emergency braking. In an emergency situation where the truck automatically applies the brake, the Ford TBC will also apply brakes to the trailer. Without the Ford TBC (more specifically the Lumen module that comes with it), brakes would NOT be applied to the trailer.

Reactions: EJH

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
IS Benny the ranger5G member name?
No, the member name is:

LevittownFordParts.com

Gold Sponsor

Click on Members and the Search. Type in LevittownFordParts.com

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
That is who I purchased both of kits from. As I posted earier (244), I have a brand new that has never been installed, still in the box. PM me and I'll make somebody a great deal.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Can I take a moment to revive this thread and complain about installing this brake controller.

jesus.

OK, maybe it is that it is hot outside, and the mosquitos are out in force.

But seriously, why couldn't Ford have the brake wiring terminate into a connector, I would have paid 20 bucks for a Ford connector if it made the wiring plug and play. Hell, I bought an entire Deutsch connector kit that probably ended up costing me more than a hundred bucks just so the wiring for my area lights was clean with minimal splices in the wiring.

I did not wire in the CHMSL, I just used the regular under dash brake signal wire. again, why there isn't a signal wire under the dash for this is beyond me. I am sure the signal originates from back there somewhere. I read somewhere there is a module, maybe in the Ford kit. that module decodes magic signals up at the CHMSL so the signal is in the wiring that runs back there, heck, even if the brake controller had to run a wire back to the bottom rear of the passenger compartment instead of requiring the removal of a ton of trim pieces in the rear seat, and headliner. (All this is deduced per the Ford kit installation instructions PDF)

as for mounting the control knob, I mounted it below the 4wd selector knob as others have done. I had to modify the black cover for the controller so it would sit high enough to screw into the clear collar. . . If I had been thinking I would have taken pictures, but I was drenched in sweat and getting very grumpy. LOL I think I will end up re routing the wire from behind the dash to under the center tunnel in a better way . . . I couldn't figure out how to remove the trim piece that holds the 2 12 volt outlets. . . I didn't want to break anything so I just left it . . . see above about getting grumpy. . .

NOTE - my 2023 had the solid blue wire under the dash, not the black/yellow wire.

Now to find a trailer to try the controller out before we transit to Colorado next month . . .

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't figure out how to remove the trim piece that holds the 2 12 volt outlets. . . I didn't want to break anything so I just left it . . . see above about getting grumpy. . .
You have to pull the trim pieces back from the dash that sit on either side of it (you can pull down the driver's side panel and pull from there, and open the glove box to pull the passenger's side one), then it's just two 7mm bolts on the side of that panel that pulls it out.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
You have to pull the trim pieces back from the dash that sit on either side of it (you can pull down the driver's side panel and pull from there, and open the glove box to pull the passenger's side one), then it's just two 7mm bolts on the side of that panel that pulls it out.
Thanks, I figured it couldn't be that difficult - I will probably tinker with it again when I go install the last 2 of my area lights around the bed . . .

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I figured it couldn't be that difficult - I will probably tinker with it again when I go install the last 2 of my area lights around the bed . . .
I pulled mine to replace it with a Lightforce fascia to put my switches in there, so I've been down there a few times. The trim pieces have like 6 clips and should pull mostly straight out towards you.
Sponsored