Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
I have a non-fx4 4x4 crew cab. I like everything about the truck except the body roll and the wallowy ride quality. Would putting rear shocks on fix these issues or would it be necessary to do the ford performance shocks?
Sponsored

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Rear shocks made a big difference for me. 100% recommend it. Made the truck feel more stable and less boat like. Doing fox up front really smoothed out the ride. I would start with the rears and see what you think. They are more affordable so if that solves your problem you save some money. If not you can dot he fronts and have a better suspension all around and only be out a couple hundred bucks on the rear.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I, like a ton of other owners here, only did the rears. That will get you what you want. If you decide you want to level a bit, or gain the extra 10% in ride quality, do the fronts later. I am still on the fence if I will do the fronts after one year.

hogsrear

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL STX
If you're mostly on road or even into mild off-road, Bilstein 5100 would be a great middle ground and save you a bunch of money. I just did fronts and rears on my truck and it made the ride much more enjoyable. Still stiff, still feels like a truck, but way better than the stock pogo stick shocks.

Yinzcity

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I can vouch for eibachs in the rear only. Makes a huge difference for only a few $$. Full suspension would be even better, but for the money I'm happy.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It would definitely make a difference but I would still recommend having the front shocks match.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
The BDS 2" level kit includes upper and lower spacers for the front struts and rear shocks for about $185.00.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Mine is a crew cab FX4 but that did not stop me from going to the 5100 mentioned above. Big difference! If your interested in a full set of FX4 shock instead, you can have my old ones (less than 3000 miles on them, just cover shipping). But that's only half the equation, IMO.

The " wallowy " part can be further help... a lot... is the addition of a sway bar for the rear. I have not added one yet but will this summer. Had 2005 FX4 extended cab Ranger that (like most Rangers) did not have one. Once added made a day and night difference.
Sponsored