First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Today I replaced my (rear only) factory FX4 shocks with a set of Fox 2.0 shocks. I was really curious if I would be able to do a test that would visually show a difference in performace between the 2 shocks, and I came up with the video below. In hindsight, I should have set up a test where I jumped off the back bumper as well, to see how the damping performance varied between the 2 shocks, but that did not occur to me during the install as I've only really been unhappy with how much the body rolls back and forth on uneven terrain (or when pulling into my driveway).

Long story short: The fox shocks do make a difference. It's hard to see in this video, but I did a bunch of off roading today, and the ride was better planted with much less bounciness to the back end, and lots less "floaty" feeling on the highway.

Sponsored

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
The factory shocks would not dampen much being that soft..

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Well, you replaced the rear shocks but the video perspective is from the front... so, please reinstall the oem shocks and redo the video from the rear and also from the sides... :shock::crackup:

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Well, you replaced the rear shocks but the video perspective is from the front... so, please reinstall the oem shocks and redo the video from the rear and also from the sides... :shock::crackup:
The side to side rocking motion was the main thing I was trying to deal with by installing new rear shocks, which is plenty visible ... if the front is rocking back and forth, so is the back.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The side to side rocking motion was the main thing I was trying to deal with by installing new rear shocks, which is plenty visible ... if the front is rocking back and forth, so is the back.
I hear ya... for me, the rear end bounce was my issue and the new shocks made a huge difference for me. I do feel the front end has some bounce but once I switched the rear shocks I feel like this is how the truck should have been set up off the lot. I never noticed any major side to side bounce myself.

I just tried the same test as yours and mine only has 2-3 bounces after I step off. For me, it feels good enough. It's possible the front FX4 shocks have more bounce than the stock sports front shocks..?

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I hear ya... for me, the rear end bounce was my issue and the new shocks made a huge difference for me. I do feel the front end has some bounce but once I switched the rear shocks I feel like this is how the truck should have been set up off the lot. I never noticed any major side to side bounce myself.

I just tried the same test as yours and mine only has 2-3 bounces after I step off. For me, it feels good enough.
Interesting. Which shocks did you install? Also the Fox 2.0? Or something else?

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. Which shocks did you install? Also the Fox 2.0? Or something else?
Same as you, fox 2.0

Just like in your vid, I could compress the oem shocks like they were nothing and I could barely budge the fox 2.0 shocks.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I wonder if there is some sort of "break in" period for new shocks. Yesterday I installed the new shocks, and took a quick lap around my neighborhood. The truck felt better / less bouncy, and then I filmed the video above. Then I took off and went and played off road for a few hours. When I first drove the truck just around my neighborhood with the new shocks I could feel a difference, but not a huge one (streets around me a pretty good). On the highway I began to notice much less "wallowy" or "floaty" feeling, and once I was up in the mountains off road I *really* noticed a difference with how planted it was, and how much less the whole truck seemed to bounce.

After I got back home again I ran a few more errands, and I noticed that it feels even better now.... could the few hours of pretty hard off road have helped? Is it all in my head?

I dunno. Maybe I will run out and re-do my rocking test this afternoon at lunch and see if it still seems to rock back and forth forever.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Wonder if the NON-FX4 shocks are able to be compressed with one hand..

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Likely all in your head... Shocks work by controlling the flow of hydraulic fluid through an orifice.

In the short term some heat can cause the shim stacks in front of the orifice to become more pliable and the oil to flow more easily. In the long term accumulated heat can break down the oil (make it less viscous). Either way the damping effect is reduced.

Perception, on the other hand, is highly subjective. And, funnily enough, in the end it's the only thing that matters!

-Tom

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm dealing with a bad shoulder an I could easily compress the non fx4 shocks off my xlt. when I installed the Eibach's I had to use a little floor jack to compress them up to get the bottom bolt in. I think the ride is firmer an more controlled. Less roll an bouncing around. I don't have any off road experience yet with either to speak of.
Sponsored