First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Anyone running different rear leafs and have a “thump” or noise from the rear over smaller bumps. On certain bumps and speeds I have a noise from the rear that came after installing the OME medium leafs with BP-51’s. I’m not sure if it is leaf smack, maybe rear rebounding too fast? I have tried it loaded for camping and no change. I greased in between the leafs with no help. I didn’t have the noise with the standard load leafs and nitro charger struts. Any insight to what could be causing this would be great.
Sponsored

gryder

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
I ran two separate leaf packs, a set of global springs and now deavers with no thump sound from either of them.

Some things to check. Make sure the springs are not interfering with anything, like shock external reservoirs. Check to make sure everything is properly torqued (unbolts) Also is the rear spare tire tightened all the way up? Maybe it’s slightly swinging when you hit a bump. Is the bump stop torqued, those things were a pain, feeling like you are about to snap a bolt loosening and tightening them.

Just some things to consider. I’m sure someone running the ome kit will chime in.

OP
OP
AndyMedic

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Thank you @gryder

u-bolts are tight. Verified multiple times. Both upper and lower shocks are tight, front and rear leaf bolts, and shackles. Spare tire is tight also. I may pull leaf packs and reinstall and see if maybe something didn’t seat right, I know a few with after market leaf packs with this noise in the Denver area. It’s confusing and annoying.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you @gryder

u-bolts are tight. Verified multiple times. Both upper and lower shocks are tight, front and rear leaf bolts, and shackles. Spare tire is tight also. I may pull leaf packs and reinstall and see if maybe something didn’t seat right, I know a few with after market leaf packs with this noise in the Denver area. It’s confusing and annoying.
Hi Andy,

I am guessing you are experiencing spring slap. This is where spring leaves slap each other. At the ends of each leaf are there rubber of plastic pieces in the flat top of each leaf? If not this could be your problem...

The other thing might be you are hitting the jounce bumper. Put a small piece of play dough on the spring under the jounce bumper..it it is flattened it may indicate your problem. Did the new leaf pack result in the rear of the truck being a bit lower, which limits spring travel.

Just guessing here as I cannot hear the noise...

best,
Phil

OP
OP
AndyMedic

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
@P. A. Schilke I do have bushings at the end of each leaf. I will look into the jounce bumper. The leaf pack raised the rear of the truck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke I do have bushings at the end of each leaf. I will look into the jounce bumper. The leaf pack raised the rear of the truck.
It may also be that you did not center the axle bracket to the spring center bolt. This is a common DYI mistake.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
AndyMedic

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
It may also be that you did not center the axle bracket to the spring center bolt. This is a common DYI mistake.

Best,
Phil
It is on the center bolt, one of the first things I verified. Thanks for the info though to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I will probably pull the leafs out and reassemble the rear end to make sure nothing was missed or out of sorts.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It is on the center bolt, one of the first things I verified. Thanks for the info though to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I will probably pull the leafs out and reassemble the rear end to make sure nothing was missed or out of sorts.
hopefully you figure it out so we can fix mine too.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Only noise after mine is bushing squeek that I need to attend to.
Sponsored