First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2017
Occupation
Construction
Hi please can anyone name this noise? It happens on any high revs and disappears when the ranger goes up a gear. Is also lessened when towing something. Thanks!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

nicksalf

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2017
Occupation
Construction
Video attached!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Nick,

That’s got to be disappointing. ☹

Is the noise there if you rev the engine high while in park or neutral or only when it’s in gear and driving?

Do you know if the UK Rangers have a 2-pce driveshaft like the NA model?

A few of our North American members reported a squealing sound when the centre bearing on their driveshaft was failing. Hopefully, one of them sees your post and will know if that’s the same sound they’ve heard.

OP
OP

nicksalf

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2017
Occupation
Construction
Hi Nick,

That’s got to be disappointing. ☹

Is the noise there if you rev the engine high while in park or neutral or only when it’s in gear and driving?

Do you know if the UK Rangers have a 2-pce driveshaft like the NA model?

A few of our North American members reported a squealing sound when the centre bearing on their driveshaft was failing. Hopefully, one of them sees your post and will know if that’s the same sound they’ve heard.
Hi thanks for the response,
The noise is there when revving in neutral or park, although much quieter.
The noise is also very quiet when listening to it under the bonnet, and much louder inside the cab
Cheers

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hi thanks for the response,
The noise is there when revving in neutral or park, although much quieter.
The noise is also very quiet when listening to it under the bonnet, and much louder inside the cab
Cheers
That might help some folks on here point you in the right direction. Good luck with this Nick!

OP
OP

nicksalf

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2017
Occupation
Construction
Mechanic wants to put a new turbo in for £1500 as he’s 90% sure that’s what it is but there’s no chance I’m taking that risk!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Mechanic wants to put a new turbo in for £1500 as he’s 90% sure that’s what it is but there’s no chance I’m taking that risk!
90%?

I’d want a lot more certainty than that too. It’s a good thing your mechanic isn’t a tax accountant…”Yeah, I’m 90% sure you can claim that as a deduction.”

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Possibilities:

1. Belt slightly slipping due to a pulley bearing going bad, but that is usually a little higher squeal

2. Bad Fan Clutch, distorting the airflow and making the squeal sound

3. Air Leak - From air induction (Intake) - Tubing and Ducting, From Video it's hard to tell due to road noise, but I think it's most likely this (As far as easy to fix items)

4. Upper Valve Train - Camshaft Bearing squealing under load -I actually had a Chevy 4.3 Engine making that sound, Very Faint and only hear it under load and high rev - most likely this (As far as hard to fix items)

5. I just re-read your post - much louder inside cab, I'm leaning more towards a Coolant Flow, restriction in the Heater Core and or Air in the Cooling System. This is the only thing that comes to mind on being louder inside cab while in (Neutral or Park)

I would get a mechanic's stethoscope, and see if you could pin-point location of sound

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Belts or pulleys would be my guess. Depending on mileage they might be due for replacement anyway.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi please can anyone name this noise? It happens on any high revs and disappears when the ranger goes up a gear. Is also lessened when towing something. Thanks!
Hi Nick,

When faced with a NVH issue like this, what I would do is on a cold engine, Start the Engine and verify the noise is there, Shut it down and remove the belts from the engine and start the engine again and do the NERU (Neutral Engine Run Up). If the noise is still present, then likely turbo. If gone, then your search begins on the FEAD (Front End Accessory Drive). If mutiple belts then install one belt only and again try, then a 2nd belt and if a third, the third belt.... Should help you narrow it down.

Mechanics Stethoscope is a great aid to as airline tech mentioned...

Good luck!

Best,
Phil

Last edited:

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like an air leak. Higher rpm and throttle making more boost. Sounds like what we used to do with balloons. Instead of tying them off, we would stretch the neck into a slit, and it would make a sound almost exactly like that as the air was escaping.

The only part that doesn't match this idea is that it is louder inside, but that could be explained by the simple fact that if you are standing still, it's not in gear, and with no load the throttle will not open fully, and you won't get the same boost.

Have you tried a driving test with the windows rolled down and AC off? Locking out gears to keep speed low and wind noise down.

I'd look at all the air duct junctions for loose clamps and inspect the tubing and hoses for slippage, splits or cracks. Good luck. That's a weird one.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
90%?

I’d want a lot more certainty than that too. It’s a good thing your mechanic isn’t a tax accountant…”Yeah, I’m 90% sure you can claim that as a deduction.”
That’s actually a level of certainty tax accounts don’t often give. Accounting in general is often at a MLTN standard, aka at least 50.000001%. A should is as strong as the most prestigious firms will go, 80-90%.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That’s actually a level of certainty tax accounts don’t often give. Accounting in general is often at a MLTN standard, aka at least 50.000001%. A should is as strong as the most prestigious firms will go, 80-90%.
Then it’s a good thing I’m not a tax accountant!
Sponsored