Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
HVAC
UPDATE

I finally took the Ranger to the dealership yesterday, and they diagnosed the noise as the driveshaft carrier bearing, as was mentioned above. They ordered a replacement from Ford, which arrived today believe it or not, and the truck was ready to pick up by this evening. Noise gone.

Now my only concern was if the problem was just a defective bearing, or if there is a driveshaft balance or alignment type issue that caused the bearing to fail, possibly causing this to happen again. We’ll see I guess. But it’s fixed for now.
How has it been since? Mines having the same issue
Sponsored

9512tacoma

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Manager
I just had my drive shaft replaced for the same issue. Mine was 20 XLT 4x2.

trpb

First Name
pj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger
Occupation
engineer
Had my driveshaft replaced at 4500mi on a '21 xlt fx4 for the same issue. The center driveshaft bearing was the issue, but the bearing is on backorder so the dealer replaced the whole driveshaft assembly

Here's a video of the sound it was making before the repair. I was hearing the noise on/off between 20-60mph. It tended to go away after highway driving and came back after the car had been sitting for a little bit.

Attachments

silverstx

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XL SuperCab STX - Iconic Silver
My Ranger made this squealing noise one day in August. The noise started about 1 mile from home driving on suburban streets. I could not replicate the noise so got the expected response from the dealer service rep when I took it in days later. Fair enough, I figured it would become more consistent soon.
However, I've been putting very little mileage on my Ranger and it did not happen again until ...
It happened again December 30th. I was 80 miles into a 500 mile (1000 mile return) trip to Tampa. Pulled off I75 and in to the Ford dealer. The service manager drove my truck and was able to hear the noise but could not say what the cause was. I had to decide to continue my trip and hope there were no issues, or return home. I returned home.
I have not been able to replicate the issue since. Tried driving different conditions.

So currently, I have little confidence that issue will occur even if I leave my truck with the service techs for a week and tell them to drive it every day.

To those who have had this issue -
How much time/mileage was it between the first occurrence of the issue until it became consistent/constant?
Could you identify any conditions/circumstances where the issue was more likely to occur?

When this occurs on my truck, it is loud and obnoxious enough that I "get the looks"!

Currently, I'm thinking is that it would not be prudent to go on an 1000 mile return trip for fear that if it starts squealing and I continue to drive at 75mph for hundreds of miles then the bearing may "go". Is that being overly cautious?

I have a 2020 4x4 with only 4600 miles. Build date 08/20.

Last edited:

9512tacoma

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Manager
My Ranger made this squealing noise one day in August. The noise started about 1 mile from home driving on suburban streets. I could not replicate the noise so got the expected response from the dealer service rep when I took it in days later. Fair enough, I figured it would become more consistent soon.
However, I've been putting very little mileage on my Ranger and it did not happen again until ...
It happened again December 30th. I was 80 miles into a 500 mile (1000 mile return) trip to Tampa. Pulled off I75 and in to the Ford dealer. The service manager drove my truck and was able to hear the noise but could not say what the cause was. I had to decide to continue my trip and hope there were no issues, or return home. I returned home.
I have not been able to replicate the issue since. Tried driving different conditions.

So currently, I have little confidence that issue will occur even if I leave my truck with the service techs for a week and tell them to drive it every day.

To those who have had this issue -
How much time/mileage was it between the first occurrence of the issue until it became consistent/constant?
Could you identify any conditions/circumstances where the issue was more likely to occur?

When this occurs on my truck, it is loud and obnoxious enough that I "get the looks"!

Currently, I'm thinking is that it would not be prudent to go on an 1000 mile return trip for fear that if it starts squealing and I continue to drive at 75mph for hundreds of miles then the bearing may "go". Is that being overly cautious?

I have a 2020 4x4 with only 4600 miles. Build date 08/20.
My 2020 started this and it got worse. I only had 8000 miles. Dealer replaced the driveshaft said bad bearings.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc