Ford Ranger XLT 2021 Urgent DPF Issues. Please help

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Hi,

I've had a scour of these forums prior to posting this thread and couldn't find any related threads regarding DPF's. Need some urgent help if any experts can assist. So the story is:

Brand new ford ranger XLT 2021 model. Had 0 miles on the clock. I do consistent 60mph to 70mph journeys on long A roads most of the week. The orange engine light came on after about 3000 miles. After reading the manuals and much youtubing and googling, it pointed towards a DPF being full and needing to be regenerated. I do regens every once in a while but I have to go out of my way to drive to clear the filters and then the light just comes back on again when i'm on my long journey and we are where we are today with the light on, my power sucked out of the car and the light "maybe" going off once i've done a regen which i'm convinced is just luck. My car has no options for manual regeneration on the computer at all, so couple of questions....

1. What is a regeneration and what is the way to enter regen whilst driving?
2. Once said regen is performed, does it clean "all" the soot out of the DPF? does me braking interrupt it?
3. How long after said regen is performed does my DPF fill up again?
4. Is it even regen related or is something else wrong with it?

It's booked in for warranty work in September, but this stuff is driving me insane as it ruins my driving experience as the power is noticeably flat when it's on.

I've joined this forum hoping to get the answer.....Please help me ranger gurus.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Most of us have gasoline engines on here. But, out of curiosity I wanted to know more about your issue and looked up what it is all about. DPF was a new one for me! Diesel purification system, hmm this is interesting. Came across this article and not sure if it will help or not. We use Forscan software and an OBD connection with a PC to access our factory settings in the ECM/ACM. Wondering if you can do a forced cleaning this way. https://otrperformance.com/blogs/qu...ing-3-minute-read?_pos=1&_sid=cc16fc533&_ss=r

OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Most of us have gasoline engines on here. But, out of curiosity I wanted to know more about your issue and looked up what it is all about. DPF was a new one for me! Diesel purification system, hmm this is interesting. Came across this article and not sure if it will help or not. We use Forscan software and an OBD connection with a PC to access our factory settings in the ECM/ACM. Wondering if you can do a forced cleaning this way. https://otrperformance.com/blogs/qu...ing-3-minute-read?_pos=1&_sid=cc16fc533&_ss=r
Petrol rangers? that's interesting. We're diesels over in the UK. DPF's have been around for a while now and they are getting even stricter.

My ranger doesn't even have that DPF light. This is the thing, my manual references it but it doesn't even show up. It's the yellow engine light.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
In your owner’s manual, you may find information on how to trigger DPF regeneration by driving a combination of distance and speed. Some vehicles cannot be commanded to initiate regeneration without a diagnostic tool that connects to the OBD2 port, and I suspect that your Ranger is one of them.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Most new diesels have this issue with all of the emissions equipment now required on them. Unless you drive it hard and for longer trips regularly, you're going to run into trouble. The engine needs to get HOT to get rid of all the crap and if you're driving habits don't allow that, you'll end up with buildup. Idling isn't enough. Most manufacturers recommend driving at highway speeds for over an hour regularly to allow the system to work properly.

Despite the advantages, this is one reason many people should avoid modern diesels like the plague.

OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
Most new diesels have this issue with all of the emissions equipment now required on them. Unless you drive it hard and for longer trips regularly, you're going to run into trouble. The engine needs to get HOT to get rid of all the crap and if you're driving habits don't allow that, you'll end up with buildup. Idling isn't enough. Most manufacturers recommend driving at highway speeds for over an hour regularly to allow the system to work properly.

Despite the advantages, this is one reason many people should avoid modern diesels like the plague.
I'm driving consistent, hot, long trips as mentioned in my OP. My journeys are a diesel engine's wet dream, the issue I think is with the parameters to enter the regeneration, i.e at what speed, RPM, for how long etc etc. Any ideas?

OP
OP

LeroyS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt
In your owner’s manual, you may find information on how to trigger DPF regeneration by driving a combination of distance and speed. Some vehicles cannot be commanded to initiate regeneration without a diagnostic tool that connects to the OBD2 port, and I suspect that your Ranger is one of them.

It just says above 40 mph. Very generic. Some YT videos show them driving at 45mph in 3rd gear hitting 2500 circa RPM and the light just goes off after about 7 minutes.

The issue I have is i'm doing consistent, hot, long journeys. I have to go out my way to do what I think is a regen, gamble that the light will go off (sometimes it does) then it fills up again like a cheap hooker.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm driving consistent, hot, long trips as mentioned in my OP. My journeys are a diesel engine's wet dream, the issue I think is with the parameters to enter the regeneration, i.e at what speed, RPM, for how long etc etc. Any ideas?
This video seems to offer some specifics for Ford.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just says above 40 mph. Very generic. Some YT videos show them driving at 45mph in 3rd gear hitting 2500 circa RPM and the light just goes off after about 7 minutes.

The issue I have is i'm doing consistent, hot, long journeys. I have to go out my way to do what I think is a regen, gamble that the light will go off (sometimes it does) then it fills up again like a cheap hooker.
Seems like the system isn't functioning as advertised or has gotten past the point where regen can help clear the filter. Service is your best bet at this point to see what's really going on.

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I work with Heavy Equipment and Semi Trucks, I am very familiar with DPF's and the complete operation of the system as it works in North America. The DPF itself is a ceramic filter that collects the soot from the exhaust of the diesel engine. As the soot accumulates it builds back pressure in the filter(restriction). Once that pressure reaches a pre-determined amount ( set by the manufacturers engineering in order to meet the Emission regulations for the country), the truck will perform a Regen to incinerate the soot to ash, there by rendering it harmless to the environment and allowing it to pass through the filter out into the atmosphere. For a regen to be successful the vehicle has to be run at operating temp for a min of 30 minutes to fully complete the Regen. Any stops in between will interrupt the process, meaning it will have to re-start once all the parameters have been met again. In NA - the EPA set that at 8km/h(5mph), once the truck drops below that = regen stops. So, lets say the truck is set to regen at 90% soot, you go for a long drive and once the engine is up to temp and your moving, its starts a regen. Regen goes for 10 minutes and then you stop = regen stops. If soot dropped to say 70%, the regen won't start up again until it gets back up to its pre-determined amount (90% for this example).
Make sense ? We see issues all the time with trucks that do "short hauls" so they are on and off throttle lots ( builds lots of soot ) and not driven long enough at steady state ( highway) to properly complete a regen. Some of these trucks require a manual regen daily.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Does your truck use DEF? In the US large diesel motors use Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Ammonia - to help with the cleaning process in the Exhaust Filter. I am no mechanic but I do have a basic working knowledge of these systems and you may need DEF. I do know that smaller diesel engines in the US do not require DEF so being small and European your truck may not use DEF.
In my opinion you're truck has likely never done a Regen - we call it a "burn" because the exhaust system gets extremely hot and burns the particulates out of the filter system. At 3000 miles, depending on driving conditions, your truck should have done it's first one or two regen. I would get it too the service shop ASAP because a clogged DPF system can cause major engine damage.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I work with Heavy Equipment and Semi Trucks, I am very familiar with DPF's and the complete operation of the system as it works in North America. The DPF itself is a ceramic filter that collects the soot from the exhaust of the diesel engine. As the soot accumulates it builds back pressure in the filter(restriction). Once that pressure reaches a pre-determined amount ( set by the manufacturers engineering in order to meet the Emission regulations for the country), the truck will perform a Regen to incinerate the soot to ash, there by rendering it harmless to the environment and allowing it to pass through the filter out into the atmosphere. For a regen to be successful the vehicle has to be run at operating temp for a min of 30 minutes to fully complete the Regen. Any stops in between will interrupt the process, meaning it will have to re-start once all the parameters have been met again. In NA - the EPA set that at 8km/h(5mph), once the truck drops below that = regen stops. So, lets say the truck is set to regen at 90% soot, you go for a long drive and once the engine is up to temp and your moving, its starts a regen. Regen goes for 10 minutes and then you stop = regen stops. If soot dropped to say 70%, the regen won't start up again until it gets back up to its pre-determined amount (90% for this example).
Make sense ? We see issues all the time with trucks that do "short hauls" so they are on and off throttle lots ( builds lots of soot ) and not driven long enough at steady state ( highway) to properly complete a regen. Some of these trucks require a manual regen daily.
This is sound advice and I totally agree ?

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Does your truck use DEF? In the US large diesel motors use Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Ammonia - to help with the cleaning process in the Exhaust Filter. I am no mechanic but I do have a basic working knowledge of these systems and you may need DEF. I do know that smaller diesel engines in the US do not require DEF so being small and European your truck may not use DEF.
In my opinion you're truck has likely never done a Regen - we call it a "burn" because the exhaust system gets extremely hot and burns the particulates out of the filter system. At 3000 miles, depending on driving conditions, your truck should have done it's first one or two regen. I would get it too the service shop ASAP because a clogged DPF system can cause major engine damage.
DEF Fluid is 64% distilled water and 36% Urea. ( NOT Ammonia - but close ).
DEF has nothing to do with cleaning the DPF.
The SCR( Selective Catalyst Reduction ) System ( DEF ) is downstream form the DPF and works independently from it to lower NoX emissions. Once the exhaust flow has left the DPF, it goes into the SCR Catalyst ( many refer to it at "hot box" ), the NoX in the exhaust gas, combined with the Urea in the DEF reacts with the chemicals embedded in the SCR Catalyst to reduce NoX Emissions.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
DEF Fluid is 64% distilled water and 36% Urea. ( NOT Ammonia - but close ).
DEF has nothing to do with cleaning the DPF.
The SCR( Selective Catalyst Reduction ) System ( DEF ) is downstream form the DPF and works independently from it to lower NoX emissions. Once the exhaust flow has left the DPF, it goes into the SCR Catalyst ( many refer to it at "hot box" ), the NoX in the exhaust gas, combined with the Urea in the DEF reacts with the chemicals embedded in the SCR Catalyst to reduce NoX Emissions.
Got it. Government Juice reduces NoX. Am I correct that smaller diesel engines do not use DEF?

Last edited:

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Mike seems to know his stuff on this. I have no experience with the DPF in the Ranger, but I have a tractor that uses a DPF. I have over 100 hours of use and have never had to regen because I always run the tractor at WOT once it has warmed up. You could try using S mode and manually setting the gear to something that leaves your RPMs much higher, say 4000 or so. It should burn off at that point.

I know low RPMs are bad for DPF's, hence why my tractor is always run at WOT.
Sponsored